Thread: moose survey ?

Default moose survey ?

so i have a survey question for all you mighty moose hunters. at what time in the day have the most moose been seen and killed?

Default PM For me

7:34 pm was the magic time for this guy.

Smile moose

I have taken 2 in the past 2 years and both were about 9:00 am or so. A great way to start the day!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals in all of NW Alaska
    www.northwestalaska.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last one I got it was right at dark I needed a head light to start working on it. The one before that it was snowing and 1030 am. The difference is how far in to the season it was.

I've shot them at first light, last light and about anywhere in between.

Most of them I would say have been before 10:00am.

I'm sure you will get a lot of different answers to this.

Smile

My experience is very similar to Northriver's. Have got into them at all times of the day. That's why I don't do the "nap thing" in the middle of the day. I've taken 3 between 11am and 2pm. I'll hunt all day until I get one or till it's too dark to continue.

90% of the moose I've seen taken over the years were taken between 6-8:30 PM.
    Tennessee

spotted at first light and killed two hours later. Not much of a history!! J.

I don't use clocks, but daylight and dusk hours are about an even split, as far as killing them. Actually just seeing them, dusk has been most productive, but often times, not allowing enough daylight hours to finish the deal.

I'm with Swampdonkey in regards to moose hunting. I keep hunting until I get one. The breakdown for me is 5 in the morning, 3 in the afternoon and 7 in the evening. My biggest (70.5" double-palmed) was taken at 3 pm. in the afternoon, where my friends were hunting just a few hours earlier. They decided to lounge around, while I went out to continue hunting. Got a trophy of a lifetime, by just giving a little more effort.

Default All day, maybe.

Pretty much any time of the day. If it is a heavily hunted area I believe most moose go into the timber or leave the area. So being out early and late does make a difference. The time of year makes a difference also. Mid to late September moose hunts in a area with a good moose population and light hunting pressure can be productive at any time of the day.

Anytime of the day. I've shot a handful in the morning, several in the afternoon, and about the same amount in the evening. When I am out hunting it is all day long.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Default hunting time..

I only have one moose under my belt. Shot in the middle of the afternoon, finished the butchering (solo) with just enough light to boat back to camp. I agree with the others, hunt all day, unless you just get too darn sleepy sitting in the sunshine under a tree (power naps are so enjoyable in the woods)! Good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Hours for moose

Most of the moose kills I have been in on were between 9 and 11 am. We've also taken them in mid-day, but the next greatest period of success has been from about 4pm until dark.

You will find that moose have been shot at just about any time there was enough light to see them, but these have been my peak periods.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Like the others, in the mornng and towards dusk. And keep your eyes open, if you can, in between. In the winter follow tracks in the snow.

All of mine have been taken between 3 pm and dark but I am NOT a morning person at all and I would say that has allot too do with it. More awake, can keep my eyes open, less likely too shoot the squirrel that's annoying me etc...