Thread: Kodiak 475 Goats

Default Kodiak 475 Goats

Just got back from Kodiak. Aug 24-29th. 2 nice days of Weather...The first and the last. Hunted Windy Lake by Koniag Peak Valley. Seems to be called Windy lake for a good reason. Typical weather for Kodiak. Rain with North wind steady 10-15 kts with gusts always present up to 40 kts. Seahawk Air could not get us into the lake the first day so dropped us at a random lake in 474 to overnight and call in a weather report in the morning. Woke up to a couple of does milling around 200 yards away but no BUCKS. A trooper dropped in to say hello and check on us about 8 am. Called in a clear Wx report and Seahawk was there an hour later. Dropped us at Windy about 10 am and our first sight was a 5 foot high 15-20 foot radius semi-circle rock wall that was erected by a guide and clients days before we arrived because of 70+ mph winds. Set up Cabela's 5 man tent in said structure(lots of extra support lines strung) and stowed gear. Set up a Bear fence around camp thanks to Mark at Wiggy's.Did final pack check with Spike camp on backs started up hill. 1 hour later crested shoulder about 3500 feet and started easy walk for another few hours. Set Spike camp half way to potential goat area and slept through the loudest night of wind and rain since my last trip to Kodiak(last year 477 unsuccessful due to goat swan dive into canyon, OCT hunt). We were in a Mountain hardware Trango 2.0 and it was Flawless. We did lose one tent but probably because no one was in it.Got up next morn about 10 am due to Wx and built a mote around camp to keep water from infiltrating under tent. Packed lite and walked about 3.5-4 miles. Mostly side hilling and spotted (4)goats about 600 yards out. Started to stalk and closed distance to 300 yards when we heard a rock tumble from above, and here comes a nice billy quartering down-hill TOWARD US!!! My partner spotted it and unloaded and missed. WOW. Told me to take the shot as it ran down hill FAST. Put one in Spine and dropped the back end and he actually started running faster on two front legs. At about 180 yards put a second in his shoulder and rolled him.Put him down about 100 yards before cliff dive was possible(Steyr 30.06 180 grn accubond)9.5"length by 6" base. My partner is a flawless shot but there was a cloud/fog bank between us and the Billy. It appeared to be in the heat of the moment about 300 yards out. When fog blew through it was apparant that it was only about 180-200 yrds and he was shooting over his back(.338)Mental note always try keeping some hair in the scope. Skinned,cleaned and walked 4 hours back to camp on easier route.Stashed meat,ate more mountain house then ever before. Went to bed extremely wet,tired and HAPPY. Slept through gusts of wind and rain 40-50 kts. Thought the tent would buckle but never did. Packed Mr. goat out the next day to Base camp and returned to spike camp. Wx was just as bad that night and woke up the next morning to a Brownie bear(slender 2 year old) walked from about 500 yards out straight to us.Gathered tent snacks and mountain house stash and moved it under rocks. Retrieved guns and stood shoulder to shoulder(my hunting partner is 6'5",I am not, so it is more like head to arm-pit but you get the idea) He covered distance in about 5 minutes and came over a small hill and we started making lots of noise. He stood on hind legs to asess the situation. We started a fast walk toward him and he ran straight down wind to get our wind. He started to come back in on us at about 30 yards we ran straight toward him and he turned and ran for his life. Everytime he stopped to turn and look at us we ran toward him(to give the appearance that we were always in pursuit of him)This worked good and I think he may still be running away. Another person with us got a Nanny and he was happy hunter.
    Goods and bads.
    Goods. -Brought 2 hiking poles this year instead of just one. Major improvement for up hill walking.
    -Helly Hansen impertech was great but inside leached water and does not breath. Down dress before departing for long hard walk or climb.
    -Orange rubber commercial fishing gloves with fleece inside. They will get wet but your hands will be warm.
    -Meindle alaskan boots. Make sure you waterproof em also.Goretex can only do so much on KODIAK.
    -Single bulb white gas coleman lantern. Helped dry stuff out.
    -TAG bags. No (fly blow)eggs were able to get through. Dry quick in sun.
    -We brought McCormick Grill mates season packets and started marinating small goat backstrap strips of meat in plastic bag(chipotle seasoning and montreal steak is the best). Had Idahoan potatoes and lipton noodles for best lunch I can remember(all these work with just water)
    -Snickers
    Bads.
    -everything you have will be wet.
    -Propane boot dryer at base camp would not stay lit.(did not work)
    -MTO-50 camo...after wet stays wet.
    -No Deer
    -Wish my brother was with me!(next time)

Woke on the 29th to Trooper stopping to check us(again) and gave our names and coordinates of kill sites. He checked our meat seemed happy and took off. Seahawk landed that afternoon on time and we had a clear, smooth flight back to town. Great trip.
    Hope this helps...Katfish
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default great post

Great story, sounds like a great hunt.

Congrats

Eric

Default Good Job!

Outstanding story with a happy ending. THanks for sharing. I will hopefully get lucky on my first Goat next weekend. After 12 days last year without seeing any...i'm overdue.
    Johnny

Congrats on your goat hunt. You didn't see any bucks at all? I'm hoping I get drawn for a Kodiak goat permit this winter and being on the same type of trip next year! Thanks for sharing the picture and story.

Default Hunt

Congratulations on what sounds like a great hunt. VERY nice billy.

Glad to hear your reoprt about Sea Hawk. Rolan picked us up from Grant's Lagoon last year and is going to take us to the Peninsula for a moose hunt in 7 days (yikes!!!). He seems like a very good pilot and very reliable - just what one needs when hunting Alaska.

Thanks for the story. Post more pics if you have them. How does goat taste. I hope to head out in a couple weeks for a Kenai hunt.

When we ate the goat back-straps in the field they were great. Put some marinade on them and let em soak a bit. Then pan seared em on a MSR whisperlite with a tablespoon of water. We cut them thin and long and they were AWESOME. Rumor has it that young goats, nanny's in particular can be quite good, but old billy's tend to toughen up. I was told to try some roasts and steaks that will be finished today and if not good just jerky, can, or sausage it up and is good as any other jerky.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats on the goat. I head out the 21st of this month for a 477 tag on Kodiak in search of goats and cant wait for the awesome weather! <grin> Will be flying out with Roland from Seahawk as well.

Default 475 goats

The nanny that was killed on the same hunt scored 52 B&C points on an official card yesterday-------will post pictures later. I did learn a few things on this hunt also. If your not in shape, get there. I thought I was and found out quickly I was not. We were hiking in to establish a spike camp about 2.5 miles accross TOUGH landscape when 4 goats came out to our right on a 1200ft drop scree slope. They dropped down out of sight as we dropped packs and found rifles quickly. They came back into view 280yds accross a ravine at a mid-paced trot. I followed from the rear goat to the front looking at horn size and snapped off a kneeling shot. 2 shots were taken mine and "Kat", I hit solid behind the left shoulder accross the lungs and heart and out the right shoulder. She decided to take a Kamakazi dive down the steepest, god forsaken canyon in the area. When I reached the goat and finished cutting and skinning the other 2 guys reached me (they were setting up camp) JD took the 1st load out and stated "dont go this way" What a mis-understanding, I thought he meant keep going up the "gut" (he meant go up another few yards and sidehill accross) We climbed up 1700ft using our knees, elbows, ice axes and fingertips. Looking back over your shoulder at broken rocks for 2000ft almost vertical down is something you dont easily forget. If it wasnt for the kahoonas of our 3rd buddy I would not have been pushed to the top. He actually carried the "rug" out another 40yds when I could not continue. Have you been one of those situations where you know you were on the edge of your physical limits in a situation where 1 misplaced foot or handhold would be literally be the end and your wife and children flash in front of you? I was there. I/We learned alot on the hunt. Hunting partners all carry something individual into the field. Some physical endurance, some young bravado and others just flat know how with seemly no limits to their mental ability-----its takes a solid effort by all.
    Dos: GET IN SHAPE------Mt. Goats are named accurately----practice your ranging and quick shots, sometimes you dont get a second chance.
    Donts: Not getting in shape!

RC

I will have to goto the B&C and see what scores have come in the past. I have seen one of the top Nanny's ever taken in AK(Don't know if it was Safari or B&C) and it was a dandy. Yours was a heck of a nice GOAT! I also learned what confidence and PMA can do for a person. Knowing you can make the shot is half the battle. What a trip!!! NICE JOB.
    KAT