Thread: Haul Rd in early October

Default Haul Rd in early October

I'm wondering if anyone has advice on what to expect the first week in October up on the Haul Rd. I've been up there hunting a couple of times (August and early Sept), but I'm planning on the first week of October this year. I've been snowed on in August before, so I know of it's cold and snowy possibilities. Do I expect windy conditions? Do I expect white-out conditions? Do I expect below freezing conditions during the day? If anyone can assist me with this, I would sure appreciate it as I can pack my gear with a little more intelligence. Thanks guys, and I've enjoyed the hits and misses of your hunting adventures so far this season.

You can expect a few inches of snow, temps between 0 and -20 although much colder is not unheard of, heavy morning fog in the low areas and lots of visible caribou.

Get out amongst them well before first light and be patient

Portable snow-camo blinds seem to be effective

If you tent camp consider investing in a catalytic propane heater and a couple of full 5-gallon cylinders.

expect snow, white outs, windy and could be as cold as -20 ambient
    12 hrs darkness (less hunintg time), SNOW SHOULD BE THERE TILL MAY OR JUNE BY THEN. could have mild weather but be prepared for winter weather.
    EXPECT CARIBOU MEAT FROM A BULL TO TASTE LIKE CARIBOU URINE AND NOT FIT TO EAT. SO IF YOU SHOOT ONE EXPECT TO BE WASTING MEAT ......GOOD NEWS IS YOU CAN SHOOT 2 ???????
    have winter tires, chains and tow strap. exra fuel so if you need to run truck during night. SLED TO GET MEAT TO ROAD.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Also plan on waiting to get through Atigun Pass, had to wait 6-8 hrs for them to clear a snow slide and drifts one year (6-8ft high).
    A GPS and lantern/flashlights is a must, could be bringing kill out when it is darker then you have ever seen, so mark your truck each time you go out later in the afternoon.
    Snowshoes are a bonus but not a necessity.
    Hopefully the herd is just after Atigun but before galbraith lake. There is lot more cover and you can use the river to move around faster.

And be more cautious with the truckers roads are narrower with the snow fall. Be carefull pulling over may look hard packed but not always true. Had a friend slide off the side and down 50 ft into a creek. Waited 3 hrs for snow plow to come along and pull him out.

Hopefully this helps. It is a great time if the herd is there. Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Default Tyvek

Take a Tyvek suit and draw light grass patterns on it for wearing over your clothes. I might try it in Dec. for Christmas this year. Let us know how you do.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

COLD, SNOW, and Bulls in rut. Can be allot of fun. Pack for the worst weather.
    Emergency equipment is essential.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Be prepaired for anything

Both of these pics were taken on the same day last year. The one with out snow in the morning the one with about mid afternoon. I wana say this was around the 10th if i remember it right. Sorry for the poor quality of pics one has been resized and wont go back with out being distorted and the one with the bou was taken through bino's.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE THEN CAN I BLAME MY PENCIL FOR MISSPELLED WORDS?

Default Thanks Guys

Thanks for the replies. I was a boyscout so I'm always prepared; your comments and suggestions will only make me more the wise. I'll keep everyone posted on my trip. Good luck to everyone putting red meat in the freezer.

Thumbs up

Lots of good advice here. I'd like to add this if you don't mind. I don't know how much late season bow hunting you've done, but if it's none at all or very limited, I'd highly recommend doing ALOT of shooting with the extra clothing that you'll be hunting in, BEFORE you head up there. One or 2 extra layers can make a huge difference... It's better to know before you go... Good luck and show some pic's...

Default haul road sept

Was there last year 1st week of sept-like the others say, it was chilly in the a.m.-heater buddy (propane heater )helped at night and in the morning. Morning fog was a problem, especially after happy valley. Caribou were about a mile off the road from ice cut on north. Brought tire chains and spare tires(didn't need them). Ptarmigan were numerous, so bring your judo tipped arrows. Just got back on Thursday-both myself and partner scored on young bulls. Weather was warm in the midday with bugs swarming. No large herds-mostly small herds of cows/calves and bachler herds or solo bulls.

Default Snow

You are better to expect Cold and Snow. Also, watch out for Ice on the bridges you cross going up there. Even if there isn't snow on the ground. They can be slick. Saw a guy siderail a couple years back.

Good luck

Default Keeler MK - thanks

Your pictures are worth a thousand words. Thanks for the emphasis everyone on being prepared. I'm looking forward to a good hunt!

Default Do you shoot with a release or fingers?

Good advice from everyone here. I've been up there three times during the last week in September and first week of October. Weather varied tremendously every time. Rain and mud on this side of Atigun and snow on the other side to Snow on this of Atigun and 40 degrees on the other side and no snow and nothing froze up! I shoot a mechanical release and on one occasion my release kept freezing up on me! So it was a time I wished I shot with my fingers! I don't recall the name or model release I had but it was one with a steel ball bearing and wrist strap. I now have a release that I can shoot with a loop. The previous release was one you had to connect directly to the bow string. I haven't been up there in awhile so can't comment on the new release in freezing weather.

Here's a piece of equipment we used last time we went up and I took a nice small bull for the freezer. It's an umbrella blind. It opens and closes like an umbrella and has camo material. I used it and it sets up very quick. I also used it as a walking stick across the tundra. I found it at Cheaper than dirt for about $30.00. The bottom of the pole can be cocked at an angle so you can push into the ground for stability and the wind. It also has two small peep windows to look through.

Good luck on your hunt.

Default Haul Road-Sept/Oct- 2009 regs

Found this good '07 thread, lots of good information while searching re: late-season caribou hunting. If I understand correctly, taking a bull (unless in velvet) can be iffy (due to rut-rank meat) after mid-September and often the better meat option is to take a cow when the regs allow.

So as you drive up the Dalton Hwy, the 2009 regs for GMU 24A (outside the DHCMA corridor and looking north of the Kanuti River) and GMU26A (south of Atigun Pass/MP 244) allow cows (5) to be harvested now (July 1-May 15).

The biggest hazards are the weather (cold, poor visibility), road conditions (ice/snow on the road) and parking (having your truck slide down a 50ft embankment ).

Good, informative thread.