Thread: Estimating Tow Weight

Default Estimating Tow Weight

I was wondering if anyone can estimate the towing weight of a boat. How much over the manufacturers weight is reasonable?

For something like a 22 Ocean Pro, does +1000lbs sound about right once you add the engines, accessories and fishing gear?

Right now I only have a 4Runner, 5000lb max tow weight and I'm trying to decide how much of a boat I could tow with it. I'd probably be leaving it in Homer and only occasionally dragging it up to Whittier.

Default Wondering

I was wondering how to weigh my boat for that and a couple other info reasons. Talked to some one who by some relationship as connected to the weigh stations. They said to stop and when not doing commercial truck can weigh your boat and trailer.
    I plan on checking that out soon to see if they will and if this is true.

Default wiegh it

alot of places with a truck scale will let u wiegh it i know when i pcsed form wainwright i took it to the truck scale and if u just wanna know there is a readout that tells u how much u wiegh wiegh ur truck and then weigh ur truck and boat subtract one from the other and bam u have ur boat weight it isnt expensive i payed 6 dollars for a piece of paper with that info on it

just a thought

Anchorage, Alaska

You can also go to any of the moving companies they all have scales and usually charge $5-$15.

Default Scale

The borough landfill has a scale that is free if you go to the dump anyways. The anchorage landfill probably has one too.

Thanks for the tips on weighing, but I what I was wondering is how big a boat I might be able to tow with my 4Runner.

You can get the weights from the manufacturers sites. An Ocean pro weighs 2600 lbs (not sure if motor is included). Add another 1000 lbs for a trailer, 700 lbs for fuel, and 500 lbs for gear.

Puts you at 4800 lbs and more if the motor wasn't included in the boat weight (and I don't think it was). I think a boat this size would be tough to tow with a 4 runner. It would be hard to control and would put a lot of stress on your vehicle. Most vehicles built for towing have heavy duty suspension, brakes, oil coolers, transmission coolers, etc. You might want to downsize your boat or upsize your tow vehicle. If you only plan to tow this thing a few times a year you might be able to find some old beat up pickup that this runs fine.

Thanks Western, exactly what I was wondering.

I hadn't figured in the weight of the trailer. I had thought about picking up a used pickup just for towing though.

I had a toyota 4X4 truck for years, the older one w/ the 3 liter engine. I never towed a boat with it, but would pull a trailer for of gravel and firewood, and also used it to pull a 14 wells cargo with our household goods.

While the truck may have been rated to tow 5000#, it was a misserable vehicle for such tasks. It was absolutely gutless in the hills and put a serious strain on the engine going up. Worse yet was coming down the hills with brakes that really weren't up to the task.

I could see using a 4 runner for pulling such a load around town, but running through the mountains pulling a boat up here I can't imagine having anything less than a 3/4 ton diesel. I know it's overkill pulling my ~4000# boat/trailer but being able to go up the hills w/o the engine down shifting and straining, and being able to stop on the way down is well worth it.

I used to pull a heavy horse trailer with 4 horses and tack using a 97 GMC Z-71 1/2 ton. It pulled the load ok, but was a little unsteady at times and thank god for trailer brakes. I figure the trailer weighed about 8000 lbs loaded. I then bought a cummins turbo diesel and man did it pull. The same hills I would struggle going up at 60 mph I could easily pull at 75 mph. I sold the horses awhile ago (before moving to Alaska) and traded my Dodge for a Nissan Titan. Plan to get a 24' Hewescraft this spring and will be interesting to see how well it tows. It can pull a trailer loaded with atvs or snowmachines like they aren't even there, but that is only +/- 4000 lbs. With a tow rating of 9100 lbs. I assume it will tow the boat fine as long as I slow down early and don't hit the tight corners too fast. Still won't have the authority that my old diesel had.

For a pure tow vehicle I would get an old heavy duty 3/4 or 1 ton with a big gas guzzling engine, heavy duty chassis and heavy duty brakes. A diesel would be better, but if you only tow occasionally the gasser won't hurt too bad at the pump.