Thread: Disgrace

Default Disgrace

B]Who:[/B] erick
    The Fish: Trout - not sure Location: russian river

Posted on anchorage daily news... guy didnt even know what species of trout it was
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 09-03-2007 at 09:36. Reason: Deleted Copyrighted photo

Pride goeth before the photo evidence.

Default yuck

Rainbows are beautiful I think, but even if it were legal and ethical to eat those big rainbows I wouldn't because I think they taste terrible, I never liked rainbow trout. Steelhead, though, for some reason are great eating in my opinion, don't know why the difference. Anyway, for this guy's sake, I hope it was good eatin' and worth it.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    Rainbows are beautiful I think, but even if it were legal and ethical to eat those big rainbows I wouldn't because I think they taste terrible, I never liked rainbow trout.....
    You and me both.

They taste like mud.

.....Steelhead, though, for some reason are great eating in my opinion, don't know why the difference. Anyway, for this guy's sake, I hope it was good eatin' and worth it.
    I think steelhead are better eating because they've been out at sea.

But, as anadromous fish go, they're still tasteless, especially if you're used to sockeye. I even prefer sea-run dollies to steelhead.

But lots of folks don't know, and if they catch a "big" fish, they'll kill it just so they can show others.

Too bad.......

Default picture

Can we take the guy's photo off, I mean I feel bad seeing his face plastered all over like that. Who knows the actual circumstances, I mean he may not have really known. I'm sure he's getting his punishment, why rub it in by plastering his photo, it's heartless man. It's one fish and it may well have been a mistake. I don't like to see someone kicked when they are down.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Brian can take it down if he wishes, and i could put it back up with the face spraypainted out... but either way i doubt the guy is even from ak if he doesnt know thats its a rainbow trout, why kill something if you dont know what it is

Default If you've gotta know...

... the difference between a legal bull moose and an illegal one before you go hunting one, you'd better know the difference between a salmon and a rainbow trout/steelhead. If you haven't bothered to do the research, you have no business fishing. Sorry, but it's true. Poor guy nothing. The only thing that is missing above the picture is "WANTED".

The law is the law, and C&R v. catch and kill has no bearing in this matter.

Question

Is that fish 30"??? It looks close... I was under the impression that rainbow trout were only to be retained in the upper river only if it were 30" or larger. Hmmm. I could be wrong. Just thinking out loud...

Default ignorance

Most of the time its just ignorance, and yes Sayak, you are right... They have no business fishing or killing fish if they don't know or understand the laws....
    Every summer someone.. shows up at our fish cleaning table with a big old river caught rainbow... they have a big grin on their face,, and guess what???
    They swear they did not know,, and often become beligerant when confronted about the ethical reasons for not killing river rainbows. When told not only the ethical but that they broke the law.. You can see they just did not spend the time to learn the law,, usually they are often times new to fishing or seldom ever fish. Its truly going to take something like huge signs along the highway with a picture of a rainbow and that its just not right to kill them....... But,,, like anything else,, there are those that just don't care either... they have signs that tell people that its against the law to impede traffic on the highway when you have several vehicles backed up behind you,,, but seldom if ever does the Impeder pull over to let people pass... Why do people kill rainbows, intentionally body snag Reds, take more than the limit, or break anyother laws???
    ignorance, or selfishness??
    I guess I must ask that question to myself tonight as I drive home going down the highway 6 miles per hour over the speed limit..
    Its sometimes sobering living in this glass house with all these nice chucking rocks here for me to toss...
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default Why

Why are we bashing someone for catching a rainbow when we don't know any information concerning the circumstances of the catch?

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    Is that fish 30"??? It looks close... I was under the impression that rainbow trout were only to be retained in the upper river only if it were 30" or larger. Hmmm. I could be wrong. Just thinking out loud...

Yep, you are wrong, read the regs for the Russian, upper Kenai and the middle to lower Kenai.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Why are we bashing someone for catching a rainbow when we don't know any information concerning the circumstances of the catch?
    "I mistrust the judgment of every man in a case in which his own wishes are concerned." First Duke of Wellington

swampdonkey,
    Here is the link to the regulations for the KP. Page 46 shows the regs for the Upper Kenai. I think the 30" law was one used several years ago on the lower river.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state.../07SCkenai.pdf

As far as the picture from the Russian and the picture in todays paper with a 26" rainbow from the lower river. I think it was poor taste of the news paper to publish those pictures because the circumstances were cloudy. Both fish are clearly over the size limit and they both apear dead. Everyone makes mistakes, I just think that the paper needs to screen these pictures out more and remove pictures where there is a potential legality issue showing up.

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=cmo1977;141080]swampdonkey,
    Here is the link to the regulations for the KP. Page 46 shows the regs for the Upper Kenai. I think the 30" law was one used several years ago on the lower river.

I haven't fished the KP for trout in several years, so the reg's have obviously changed since those times. I ought to refresh myself with them just for gp... Like I said before, just thinking out loud... Thanks...

Default being investigated

The local sport fish biologist today indicated that the large rainbow pictures in the ADN are being investigated by Fish and Wildlife Protection.

So if you break the law do not send your picture to ADN.

Question

I haven't really been keeping track of these fish stories. With that said, does anyone know why they're being investigated? Was the season/areas where the fish were caugth, closed? Did they not meet certain length criteria? Just wonderin' if anyone could shed a little light on it.

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    I haven't really been keeping track of these fish stories. With that said, does anyone know why they're being investigated? Was the season/areas where the fish were caugth, closed? Did they not meet certain length criteria? Just wonderin' if anyone could shed a little light on it.
    The first picture (I haven't seen the 2nd one) was of a gentleman holding a rainbow in the vicinity of 30" through the gills. The caption said that it was caught on the Russian River, which is closed to the retention of rainbow trout.

Incidentally, the ADN also wrote in their fishing report two weeks ago that red fishing should be decent on the Russian when it had closed the previous Monday. Apparently some folks at ADN aren't particularly clear on the regulations for the fisheries that they write about. To their credit, they published a correction on the following day.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    The first picture (I haven't seen the 2nd one) was of a gentleman holding a rainbow in the vicinity of 30" through the gills. The caption said that it was caught on the Russian River, which is closed to the retention of rainbow trout.

Incidentally, the ADN also wrote in their fishing report two weeks ago that red fishing should be decent on the Russian when it had closed the previous Monday. Apparently some folks at ADN aren't particularly clear on the regulations for the fisheries that they write about. To their credit, they published a correction on the following day.
    Ooooohh....

Well, I can definately see why they'd be interested in the Russian river trout.

Thank you...

Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    The local sport fish biologist today indicated that the large rainbow pictures in the ADN are being investigated by Fish and Wildlife Protection.
    So if you break the law do not send your picture to ADN.
    Kind of reminds me of the guy by Alexader Creek feeding bears and the troopers show up at your door!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/