Thread: Whitter report 7-31

Default Whitter report 7-31

The water was flat and the fish where deep. We found fish from 70-120 feet. Late in the afternoon when the clouds can in the fish moved up to 26-35 feet.
    WE caught 10 silvers but 8 of the were about 18 inches long. the other 2 were about 14#. We also caught a ling trolling, black bass and a china rockfish. So you can see it was pretty slow. When we returned to the fall dock the silvers where jumping every where. The commercial guys were by Esther hatchery so we could not try it there.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Glad you had a great time, some of us are jealous! Home nursing a bad ankle. Forgot to put water under the boat before I fell out of it!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

we did pretty well but we went further out. caught our silvers out of crab bay, they were jumping everywhere but very selective and only the smaller ones would bite. caught a couple lings out in the gulf and limited on chickens at the bottom of knight island. something i noticed is that the silvers i caught out of esther bay a couple weeks ago didnt put up much of a fight. the only time they got exited was when they came close to shore and it was breif. now the silvers i was catching in crab bay WOW. talk about some pissed off salmon. any theroys on why the different behavior in the same species of fish? maybe closer to spawning makes them more exiteable?

We trolled around in front of the rookery, infront of the tunnel, and by the wall etc, nothing ..... didnt see anyone else with anything either, some jumpers near the wall but only saw 1 out of 20 people hook up on shore

Default Early AM

Many Whittier shore hook-ups this weekend from 5-9 AM-almost everyone did well- and the 5AM crowd limited anywhere from Schmitties and beyond. As soon as the crowds showed up and the sun was out, it died.

Default just got back from whittier

we went this afternoon and fished next to the launch ramp in the harbor. the fish were there and i would throw a vibrax right through the school and nada. they wouldnt bite for some reason. after a few hrs i gave up and came home kinda frustrating. oh well maybe next time....

Should have used a snag hook, if they wouldn't bite

I could not believe how many were around the dock area jumping.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by irishlord View Post
    Should have used a snag hook, if they wouldn't bite
    Can you snag inside the harbor? Thought you couldn't, but maybe I'm thinking of Seward.

If I'm right you can't snag in Whitter
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default No Snaggin In Harbor!

My Friend And I Were Checked There Last Year. Outside The Harbor Is Fine But Not Inside. I Think It Was Because A Bunch Of Boats Were Getting Hit With Weighted Trebble Hooks That Caused The Change.

Default Snaging

I don't think your even suppose to fish inside the boat harbor, but just outside the boat harbor, one can certainly snag.