Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whereabouts of abandoned Legacy?

Default Whereabouts of abandoned Legacy?

Anyone seen an abandoned Subaru Loyale or GL ('85-89ish) that I could scavenge some parts from? I know Jim Creek is can be a good source for parts if you can get there before everything is shot up and torched.

Just looking for a headlight case and some plastic trim pieces, possibly a hood.

Thanks
    Last edited by elgoatropo; 08-31-2007 at 11:41. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by elgoatropo View Post
    Anyone seen an abandoned Subaru Loyale or GL ('85-89ish) that I could scavenge some parts from? I know Jim Creek is can be a good source for parts if you can get there before everything is shot up and torched.

Just looking for a headlight case and some plastic trim pieces, possibly a hood.

Thanks
    You might want to think twice about scavenging parts at Jim Creek. It's called THEFT and they bust people doing it there. Half of them vehicles are stolen and even if they aren't you can't remove parts legally. I've seen them bust people stripping these supposedly "abandoned" vehicles. Now ya know

Did the police head them off at the trailhead? I am surprised they would bother, when you can't get the police to respond to a burglary.

Mark

Did the police head them off at the trailhead? I am surprised they would bother, when you can't get the police to respond to a burglary.
    Well, then, why don't you just pick an appropriate car in someone's driveway and "scavange" the parts you need that way? You're probably right; the police won't show up, even if the car owner calls them.

[/quote]Well, then, why don't you just pick an appropriate car in someone's driveway and "scavange" the parts you need that way? You're probably right; the police won't show up, even if the car owner calls them.[/quote]

You're right. The appropriate thing to do is let people use it for target practice until the spring cleanup, when it is dragged off to the landfill.

I am capable of discerning between a joyridden stolen vehicle with some recovery potential, and an abandoned, rusting hulk that has no prospects.

Also, if you have ever shot a hole in a junk vehicle, you are guilty of what you are accusing me of.

Mark

Well, then, why don't you just pick an appropriate car in someone's driveway and "scavange" the parts you need that way? You're probably right; the police won't show up, even if the car owner calls them.
    You're right. The appropriate thing to do is let people use it for target practice until the spring cleanup, when it is dragged off to the landfill....
    Actually, I'd prefer more police presence, catching the car thieves in the process of trashing/abandoning the stolen vehicles, and allowing police to use the criminals for target practice.

An annual cleanup utilizing the National Guard to pick up hundreds of stolen, trashed vehicles is a waste of resources. Let them patrol the place with a Pavehawk helicopter, complete with an M-60 mounted at the door, and the authority to shoot drunken criminals.

....I am capable of discerning between a joyridden stolen vehicle with some recovery potential, and an abandoned, rusting hulk that has no prospects....
    Are you able to discern the fact that the recovery potential belongs to the owner or insurance company who had to pay for the crime?

....Also, if you have ever shot a hole in a junk vehicle, you are guilty of what you are accusing me of.
    I haven't shot a hole in a junk vehicle. I find no pleasure in shooting signs, either.

I guess I'm kinda' weird.........

Mark - I appreciate your principles on the subject, and I would never take a screw off an abandoned vehicle if I thought there was a chance that the owner might have an interest in it.

Have you been to Jim creek? It is a pretty unique place. It is the local ATV club that cleans it up in the spring. If the National Guard helps out, I was not aware of it.

Mark

......Have you been to Jim creek? It is a pretty unique place. It is the local ATV club that cleans it up in the spring. If the National Guard helps out, I was not aware of it.
    I used to go there regularly, but stopped going about a dozen years ago or so. Then last year, when a friend from the states was visiting, I took him out there because he wanted to catch a salmon "in a river". I was surprised how good the coho fishing was. They were biting everything.

I was also surprised at how many people were out there.........

The local ATV club is doing a great job, and at least a number of years ago, the National Guard helped out by providing several soldiers, trucks, loaders, etc in the cleanup effort. I know they participated for at least two or three years.

The recent political controversies regarding Jim Creek/Knik River really boiled my blood. The politicians, like usual, advocated some silly land classification designation (like "state park", or some such nonsense) as a solution. It was pure bullspit.

What's needed is simple law enforcement. Period. The cops need to show up, and they need to execute some arrests.

Several years ago I remember reading an article in the Frontiersman in which a trooper was interviewed. He told of an evening he went out to Jim Creek and from a distance saw a group of young people drinking and torching a vehicle. He decided it was too dangerous to approach them under those circumstances, and he simply drove away. Consider deeply what that means..........

Virtually all the problems there are imported. There is almost no where within the Municipality of Anchorage to legally ride atvs (precisely because all the public lands are "classified"), yet thousands of people in Anchorage have atvs. What do people expect? They drive right across the border and ride them on the expansive riverbeds of the Knik River.

There were complaints about sanitation; people pooping in the woods. Again, what to people expect? There's no place else to poop.

There was no law enforcement and there's no public restroom facilities. It should be no surprise that there are crime and sanitation problems there.

Regarding abanonded cars, here's another interesting situation:

About 20 years ago I found an abandoned vehicle on my land. There were no license plates on it. I called the Troopers (no Wasilla police then) and asked them to remove it. They told me that it was a civil matter, that the car was on my property, and they had no authority or responsibility to do anything about it. I gave them the VIN number and asked them to tell me who last owned the vehicle. They refused, stating that was a privacy issue. I thanked them for their trouble and hung up the phone.

Then I latched onto the vehicle with a chain and my pickup truck, dragged it out onto the road, unhooked it, and left it right in the middle of the road.

I was visited by the Trooper within the hour. He wasn't happy. He threatened to charge me with more than one crime (I forget what crimes he threatened me with). I calmly but frankly told him that I didn't give a **** what his problem was, I wasn't going to pay to have that vehicle towed or put in a salvage yard, that either the owner or state would have to do it, and that I looked forward to seeing him in a courtroom in front of a jury of my peers.

He left, and the car was picked up by a tow truck.

I have no idea if it was stolen or just abandoned, and I really didn't care. Still don't.

IMO the people stripping those rigs are just as bad as the people abandoning them. Why, because they take off all kinds of metal parts they don't want to get at stuff they do want. They leave crap laying all over by the hulks. I have no problem taking their license # and passing it along. For all I know the same people destroying the rigs are the same ones stripping them later on.
    Elgoatropo you have absolutly NO WAY of knowing the owners interest in the abandoned vehicle. The reason they sit there so long is that a VIN check is done to determine the owner. Removal cost is assesed to the last owner and insurance companies are notified when it is determined to be stolen. It's illegal to touch or move these rigs. You aren't doing anybody any service by stripping them, you're part of the problem when you touch one.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    ......The reason they sit there so long is that a VIN check is done to determine the owner. Removal cost is assesed to the last owner and insurance companies are notified when it is determined to be stolen. .....
    I'd really like to believe that, but I don't. Especially the part about the last owner "assessed" for removal costs.

In most cases, I don't think the authorities do anything about abandoned vehicles (unless they're abandoned on the side of a busy roadway).

Default National Guard help

Regarding the widely misunderstood history of the cleanups - Mat Su Borough, Butte CC, Butte citizens, and the National Guard all participated in orchestrating the first badly needed cleanups. The ATV Club has taken the organizational ball and run with it - a positive effort.
    I have photos of the 2002 cleanup which included the Guard and will see if I can learn how to to get them in a post - or will E-mail them to anyone that requests.

"Then I latched onto the vehicle with a chain and my pickup truck, dragged it out onto the road, unhooked it, and left it right in the middle of the road."

You shouldn't have dragged it into the road, ten feet from the side of the road works just as well and it will be removed pronto

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I'd really like to believe that, but I don't. Especially the part about the last owner "assessed" for removal costs.

In most cases, I don't think the authorities do anything about abandoned vehicles (unless they're abandoned on the side of a busy roadway).
    Well I know more about it than you, I guess. I'm the guy with the black big rig who was dragging them hulks around out there for years. I dragged 40 of them up to the parking lots one summer. I piled 15 of them up one time blocking access to JC for a couple days.
    THEY GO THERE ONCE A WEEK OR MORE OFTEN to collect VIN #s. YES they do try to pin removale costs on the last owner, not much success with these old beaters that are sold with no paperwork. They have talked to me numerous times out there about the whole procedure they must go through. They gave out a contract to a local junk yard to remove them 2 years ago but they only pay $75 so that didn't last to long.
    It's a legal mess trying to remove these hulks as I've found out. They harassed and threatened me to the point I quit trying to clean the hulks out of JC.

Default Vehicles

elgoatropo
    Like other have stated you need to check your facts!!!!! The National Guard has been involved with the Annual clean-up both in the Jim Creek area and in the whole Mat-Su for a number of years. I beleive that the Guard started working the clean up since about 1996-7 if not a little longer. Many of the Graud troops that helped clean up out area do not even live in the Borough but were happy to clean up the messes we found.
    Yes I am in the Guard and have worked these clean ups ever since they were going on. Oh yes I did miss some while I was in Iraq, but that is another story.
    The clean up not only gave us a change to work with the communities but it also gave us a chance to really work with our assigned equipment.
    I could go on an on but you get the picture.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    Well I know more about it than you, I guess. I'm the guy with the black big rig who was dragging them hulks around out there for years. I dragged 40 of them up to the parking lots one summer. I piled 15 of them up one time blocking access to JC for a couple days....
    Good work. I appreciate it.

I just wish the authorities would pony up and do their duty so private citizens like yourself don't have to.

.....THEY GO THERE ONCE A WEEK OR MORE OFTEN to collect VIN #s. YES they do try to pin removale costs on the last owner, not much success with these old beaters that are sold with no paperwork. They have talked to me numerous times out there about the whole procedure they must go through. They gave out a contract to a local junk yard to remove them 2 years ago but they only pay $75 so that didn't last to long....
    I'm sure that's correct. I suppose the ones that aren't stolen and were just dumped were owned by scumbags, who you aren't likely to have the resources to pay the costs.

A few days of free meals and housing in jail would satisfy me, then.

....It's a legal mess trying to remove these hulks as I've found out. They harassed and threatened me to the point I quit trying to clean the hulks out of JC.
    That's classic, isn't it? They're reluctant and slow to do it themselves, and they don't want you to do it, so declaring it a "park" or some such nonsense is the solution.

It does, in fact, remain to be seen whether or not understaffed, underfunded 'on call' Troopers rather than enforcement dedicated to the KRPUA holds the solutions.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by 68 Bronco View Post
    It does, in fact, remain to be seen whether or not understaffed, underfunded 'on call' Troopers rather than enforcement dedicated to the KRPUA holds the solutions.
    It was an admitted political tactic of the Dept. Public Safety to withhold law enforcement to force localities to provide their own. It happened on the Anchorage Hillside, it happened with the city of Wasilla, and it's happening now to the Mat-Su Borough.

I believe the DPS is trying to force the Borough to stand up a "sheriff's department", or become a muni like Anchorage.

It's dirty politics, IMO.

Designating the area a "pubic use area" is about as productive as holding one's breath. It's a classic political BS.

The only way to stop the car dumping/burning is to go out there and either arrest or shoot the scumbags that are doing it. And the only way to minimize people pooping in the woods is to build an outhouse.

I don't fall for the "understaffed, underfunded" line of BS, either. There's no excuse for failing to adequately fund law enforcement. It's government's most basic duty.

I believe in getting seriously rough with the scum out there,but,,,,,I think the outhouse would just be another target for them...........

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by danthedewman1 View Post
    I believe in getting seriously rough with the scum out there,but,,,,,I think the outhouse would just be another target for them...........
    Okay.

First shoot the vandals, then build the outhouse.

"I don't fall for the "understaffed, underfunded" line of BS, either. There's no excuse for failing to adequately fund law enforcement. It's government's most basic duty."

I agree with you on that, Mark.
    Last edited by 68 Bronco; 09-01-2007 at 18:17. Reason: I need to learn to do the highlighted quote thing properly!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast