Thread: TC Encore failure to fire

Default TC Encore failure to fire

I have a TC Encore that I just put a 26" 30/06 bull barrel on. I bought the gun as a pistol in 7mm/08. I fired a couple of boxes of ammo thru the 7mm/08 and the gun fired every time with exceptional accuracy. I switched the barrel and put a rifle stock and fore-end on and now the gun fails to fire sometimes. It seems that the fireing pin is not striking the primer hard enough (only slightly denting the primer). This does not happen on every round but erratically. I put the misfired round in my bolt action and they fire. i have also added a hammer extension on the Encore so it can be cocked easier with the scope mounted low. I have read that the factory hammer springs on the TCs were a little weak and that adding a hammer extension could effect the hammer fall, however, I had the extension on the 7mm/08 as well and never had a misfire. Has anyone had this problem with thier Encore?

What you mentioned about the extra weight on the hammer is true. You could try a heavier spring, but I think the problem is head space. Your new barrel probably has too much head space and that is what is causing the light primer strikes. Try going to www.bellmtcs.com and go inside the store. Mike Bellm has several articles about checking head space and fixing your woes.

Please let us know what you find out. I have shot hundreds of rounds through my Encore and never had any issues. Very accurate, tho.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

I switch mine back and forth from 7mm/08 pistol to .243 rifle frequently and never had a problem.

Sounds like a headspace problem to me. Chamber might be a touch too deep. Or possibly (but I doubt it) the hole for the mounting pin is a little too far back (or even a little oversized), causing a slight gap--just a few thousandths could do it-- between the receiver and barrel when it's closed. I've never heard of that happening before, but I'd check if it were mine.

Remove the hammer extension!

Common problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    What you mentioned about the extra weight on the hammer is true. You could try a heavier spring, but I think the problem is head space. Your new barrel probably has too much head space and that is what is causing the light primer strikes. Try going to www.bellmtcs.com and go inside the store. Mike Bellm has several articles about checking head space and fixing your woes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawken54 View Post
    Please let us know what you find out. I have shot hundreds of rounds through my Encore and never had any issues. Very accurate, tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRoadkill View Post
    I switch mine back and forth from 7mm/08 pistol to .243 rifle frequently and never had a problem.

Sounds like a headspace problem to me. Chamber might be a touch too deep. Or possibly (but I doubt it) the hole for the mounting pin is a little too far back (or even a little oversized), causing a slight gap--just a few thousandths could do it-- between the receiver and barrel when it's closed. I've never heard of that happening before, but I'd check if it were mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by bustedknee View Post
    Remove the hammer extension!

Common problem.
    Thanks for all the info, I have ordered the heavy spring and shim kit from Bellm. This should fix the problem. I don't want to remove the extension because I use a low mounted scope and can't get my thumb between the scope and hammer. Will let everyone know if the spring or shims don't work but I'm pretty sure they will.

Default encore failure to fire

What ammo? sometimes winchester primers are really hard and do not fire. I had this with ultra light rifle in 06. Federals were ok

Default hornady

I only fire Hornady ammo , and as I have already stated, I can take the cartriges that fail to fire and put them in my bolt action and they fire no problem. I thought that maybe I got a bad lot of ammo at first until I tried another box with the same results. Frankly, I have never had an issue with Hornady ammo in the past 15 years that I have used it. As far as I am concerned, it is the best factory ammo on the market and the Hornady Ammunition Company is setting the standard for others to follow.

its the hammer extension. the funny thing is it is sometimes dependent on the ammo and caliber. with the 223 and 270 barrels in rifle and pistol config i have no problems. put my 338wm or 375hh on there and i get more than 20% misfires. talked to numerous gun shops and TC themselves and the 1st thing out of every ones mouth was take off the extension. haven't had 1 misfire since i did that. if you really need to have that extension, send your receiver to TC and have them put the pro hunter trigger and hammer on the gun. it costs 70 bucks, you get it back in about 10 days, and it is slicker than snot on a door knob.

Quote Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
    its the hammer extension. the funny thing is it is sometimes dependent on the ammo and caliber. with the 223 and 270 barrels in rifle and pistol config i have no problems. put my 338wm or 375hh on there and i get more than 20% misfires. talked to numerous gun shops and TC themselves and the 1st thing out of every ones mouth was take off the extension. haven't had 1 misfire since i did that. if you really need to have that extension, send your receiver to TC and have them put the pro hunter trigger and hammer on the gun. it costs 70 bucks, you get it back in about 10 days, and it is slicker than snot on a door knob.
    Thanks, but I just installed Bellm 51lb Hammer spring and .002 shim and problem fixed. while I had it apart I stoned the trigger assembly and now I have a smooth, crisp trigger as well. The Bellm site listed by K9cop was great and has a wealth of information and services; thanks K9.
    Last edited by OKElkHunter; 11-01-2007 at 10:06. Reason: more info

Thanks for the question and discussion guys...I learned from you all. I had not heard of the hammer extension problem...my Encore has shot just fine with the extension (.223, .22-.250 & .257 Roberts), although I removed it last year because it just doesn't stay put anyway. The website K9 posted is great! I had never heard of it...looks like I'll be spending some $$.