Thread: Kenai Sheep

Default Kenai Sheep

I am in the process of trying to put together a "salvage" sheep hunt. A fellow moose hunter has drawn a goat tag for Tustumena Glacier and I will prob accompany him which means we will be hunting between Tustumena glacier and the Fox River. I have talked to the bio for the area and have been told "there are sheep in there". I know very little about the Dall sheep on the Kenai other than there aren't many, few legal rams are shot and they are usually (almost always) less than 40" not b/o the genes but because they are usually harvested before they are able to grow to any appreciable size. Right now my best guess for any sheep is the Truuli Glacier - actually the terrain either east or west of Truuli Creek. If there is anyone with any prior experience, recommendations, or suggestions for hunting this area I would be most appreciative. I usually do extensive research prior to my hunts but this has not been a viable alternative for me this year.

I read somewhere a while back that the dall sheep on the Kenai are a recognized subspecies characterized by smaller horn size. I have no experience with the area you will be hunting, but I did take a sheep elsewhere on the Kenai ten years ago. It was perfectly full curl, and only 32".

Default Sheep

Yes there are sheep back up in there but it is one heck of a hike and the trail is kind of hard to find. I have not been back there for quite a while but the alders were so grown over the last time that it made going real tough to tree line. Clear creek is probably the best route to go, this will put you between Fox and Truuly glacier.

Jim, A Friend Did Hunt Up There Some Where......very Long Hike He Used Horses And Then I Think Walked 4 Miles Got A Nice Very Tight Curled 8yo Full Curl Plus On Oneside. I Don't Know What Drainage He Went And Doubt He Will Tell.
    Pat
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

mntmaster: PM sent