Thread: big su

Default big su

I thinking of going either up or down river on the big su on the denali hwy. I never runner this area of the big su. Looking for comments and advice.

thanks jim

depends on what your wanting to do. If you run up river, pay close attention to the cut banks for the deeper water. This time of year the water gets thin real fast. Don't know if your running a jet or prop. If a prop, be real careful. Bring a spare prop. I wouldn't go much past the little willow now.

If you go down river, again follow the cut bank or you will hit a sand bar that will make you stuck real fast. not fun, trust me.

Think he was talking about up by the headwaters for the big Su, I know by moose season there by the boat launch by the bridge there is a lot of trucks and trailers parked. And boat traffic seems to head both directions. Like the other one said stay close to the cutbanks. Running upstream from the bridge seems to be more water on the right side, but it will start to get braided further you go up, I'm sure you seen it on the map. Not sure if this helped or not

Most of the trucks parked there will probably be airboaters.

What boat will you be running?

I ran down from the bridge once and will never do it again. tore up to much equipment to have fun.

IMO it is airboat country up there.

That area of the big su is best suited for airboats. It gets shallow and braids out fairly quickly, especially upstream from the bridge. I've watched several 16'-20' flatbottoms, jon boats, or what have you, go up and down that river and could hear them hitting rocks, gravel/sand bars, etc within sight of launching. It can be done, but have extra parts with you when you go. It's very very silty too. Good luck...

it was closed to moterized vehicles on the east side of the river above the raod. I did the nenana one year put in about 28 miles east of cantwell and went up river. that was a great trip.

Default Small Jet, pack light. lots of spare parts

I posted this on another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    I have ran that part of the river many times. Not an area for a big boat. 16-18 ft sled with a 70hp jet is fine. The big boats like Thunderjet, Weldcraft, Wooldridge's are too big and heavy.

The reason is you can run out of water REAL fast. From the bridge down about the first 5-7 miles is very wide, shallow and the channel (if the river is low) is very unpredictable. Once past that it is like running any other river all the way down to Tyone creek. Most folks don't run much past that because of Devil Canyon.

If you do go, stop, look and listen. Beach your boat and take a look above the banks once in while.

Good luck and keep it light. I have come around a corner, ran out of water and was high and dry! Had to unload the boat and drag it to the water, reload and go. Take an extra impeller and sleeve with you as you will be pumping a lot of mud. Bailing wire and duck tape save my butt one year as my jet unit kept snapping bolts!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by northriver21 View Post
    Most of the trucks parked there will probably be airboaters.

What boat will you be running?

I ran down from the bridge once and will never do it again. tore up to much equipment to have fun.

IMO it is airboat country up there.
    What he said!!!!

Seen many a jet boats launch buuutttt.......I know one group last year who never made it out of sight of the bridge. A drop in temperature will lower water levels more then a foot overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    What he said!!!!

Seen many a jet boats launch buuutttt.......I know one group last year who never made it out of sight of the bridge. A drop in temperature will lower water levels more then a foot overnight.

I have seen that too. Had to drive my truck out in the river bed to get my boat out. I have also seen it come up a foot or two when it got warm!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the input. I was talking about heading south Alexander Creek. I run a jet and I go that way all the time, I was just curious if anyone had been down that way through the west channel or all the way down to Dynamite Slough in the past couple days. I just heard from a friend that even going down through the slough they had to pull their boat through two shallow spots.

Quote Originally Posted by BLT View Post
    Thanks for the input. I was talking about heading south Alexander Creek. I run a jet and I go that way all the time, I was just curious if anyone had been down that way through the west channel or all the way down to Dynamite Slough in the past couple days. I just heard from a friend that even going down through the slough they had to pull their boat through two shallow spots.
    BLT, I think you meant this in the other big su thread. I had to read it a few times before It made sense.