Thread: Boat width question (hewescraft models)

Default Boat width question (hewescraft models)

Planning to get an ocean boat for next year. Right now I've settled on the Hewescraft 24' Alaskan. I'm also thinking about the 22' Sea Runners. I think my family would do OK on either boat, but the lower price of the 22' might seem nice after Christmas bills come through. Other than the length and ammenities the biggest difference seems to be the width. When anchored up how much more will the 72" searunner roll then the 84" Alaskan?

All in all is the Alaskan worth $15,000 more then the Searunner? Is the Ocean Pro a good compromise?
    Thanks

I was in the same situation as you. I decided to go with the 26 and have not regretted yet. So people will tell you that you will not see a difference and others say you will on the width in it comes to rocking motion. I have noticed a difference on different size width boats... The wider they are it seems to handle better.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I went with the Ocean Pro and am very happy I went with the extra width. Not only for space but stability. Nice rig...
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default More is better (beam that is)

Quote Originally Posted by Western View Post
    Planning to get an ocean boat for next year. Right now I've settled on the Hewescraft 24' Alaskan. I'm also thinking about the 22' Sea Runners. I think my family would do OK on either boat, but the lower price of the 22' might seem nice after Christmas bills come through. Other than the length and ammenities the biggest difference seems to be the width. When anchored up how much more will the 72" searunner roll then the 84" Alaskan?

All in all is the Alaskan worth $15,000 more then the Searunner? Is the Ocean Pro a good compromise?
    Thanks
    Buy the biggest you can afford! You will not regret it. The 22 ocean pro and the Alaskan series are a lot more boat than the standard searunner series. Check out the specs on hewes' website. I had a 24' Alaskan for five seasons with twin F100 yamahas. It was a great setup. Very stable and utilitarian. Personally, I would not consider the standard 22' searunner. The extra half foot of beam is very noticeable when anchored and moving around the cabin. The 24' is also about 1000lbs heavier. The 22 ocean pro like Dman has would also be a fine choice. Have you considered buying used? There always seems to be a hewescraft or two for sale on craigslist or the adn. No matter which one you buy, you will get 2 footitis. I did. Actually 6 footitis
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I wouldn't mind buying used, but it seems that the used price on many of these boats is slightly below new (factoring in depreciation). I wonder if saving a few thousand dollars is worth not having a lifetime warranty.

I keep trying to talk myself into a smaller boat that costs less, but it sounds like I need to suck it up and get the right boat the first time. Common problem I have is buying a cheap starter set up and then wanting to upgrade in a year or two.

Thanks

I have found out that buying what you want in the beginning is cheaper. My philosophy is if I can't afford what I want, then I will go without it. Nothing is worse than paying good money for something that just isn't right, when for X % (insert your own %) more you could have exactly what you want. The bigger boat/better product will hold it's value longer and be easier to sell when the time comes to upgrade. If you are financing the boat, I would definitely go bigger/better.

Where are your priorities? Spend money on the boat, not on Christmas presents. I don't spend $1 on Christmas presents; yes, I have a wife and kids They like the boat better than a wrapped up toy.
    Last edited by Powderpro; 08-31-2007 at 14:01. Reason: Added comments

I have a 22-foot Sea Runner. It rolls a bit when you've got big guys walking around on it. It's not dangerous, just annoying.

When standing in the 22-foot Ocean Pro, it feels like a much wider boat, but I've never been on one in the water. I've just seen them at boat shows. I would imagine they are more stabile, but I don't know first hand.

To be honest, though, I don't know if the Ocean Pro is worth the extra expenditure beyond the standard Sea Runner. If I wanted a bigger boat, I would just jump all the way up to the 24-foot Alaskan, and skip the Ocean Pro all together. The 24-foot Alaskan is a LOT more boat than my 22-foot Sea Runner hard top. It's wider, taller, and is built with thicker material. In all, the 24-footer is a full 1000lbs heavier than the 22-foot version. That's a lot of metal....in all the right places.