Thread: Juneau Region Silver/Halibut Advice

Default Juneau Region Silver/Halibut Advice

My wife, daughter and I will be visiting Alaska for the first time Sept 5-10 in the Juneau area. This is a trip that we got to take at the last minute and have not had much time to make plans. We will be able to fish for three days, Sept 7-9. We want to fish for silvers with fly rod and spinning equipment in rivers/streams for two days and we want to go out for halibut for one full day. Could someone recommend a good fly out lodge or fly out operation or charter operation in the Juneau region where we can have some luck on such a short trip? Thanks very much in advance for any advice and assistance.

Default Juneau fishing trip

You might consider chartering a bigger boat and staying aboard, the fishing for both silvers and halibut is pretty good this time of year as is the whale watching....try http://www.juneau.com/ to start. Click on Activities and take your pick. Good luck!

Contact Brad Elfers at Juneau Flyfishing Goods for info on the fly/spin situation. I would offer the halibut charter myself, but we're booked. Try Alaska Galore Tours, Juneau Sportfishing, or Hi-Time charters for a productive halibut trip.

Also, the fall weather change has already set in. September can be great fishing, but don't be too upset if the weather steps on your plans!

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

silver fishing is spotty at best right now, its gonna take long hourse and patience to get into some fish. Mouth of Montana creek and the area a dipac are the best. Cowee creek should have some fish as well but I've never really fished it so I'm not much help.

caught a king today while cutthroat fishing, that was weird... Felt bad about landing it once I got it in and relized it was a king normally I just break em off cool though I guess.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Depends where you get off to. Some of the creeks on Admiralty are starting to run hard now. Granted, we were in the salt off Middle Point, but we landed 23 silvers in just under 3 hours of fishing the other day.

I might be tempted to get a skiff/fly/spin charter going with Luke and see if there's anything going on off the road system.

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Kowee Creek is usually producing silvers around then.... check your PMs.

Been smokin em at Peterson Creek salt chuck the past week. Try the hole by the mouth of the creek. Caught em on flash flies no less. Saw some rollers in Montana but could hook em. I have heard a reliable report of quite a few caught down past the broke down cabin at Cowee Creek. Good luck.

OMG finally catching silvers?

Not to brag, but just to clarify: I've been catching silvers since June... in good quantity since the beginning of August. Maybe it's my ADD keeping me from fishing close to town all the time, maybe it's the old adage about "location, location, location..." One of the first rules my Dad taught me about fishing was, "don't fish where there aren't any!"

It's not that odd of a year really. Just like you can tell the folks who are new to Juneau by their comments about all the snow and the harbors freezing this past winter, you can tell the folks who are new to Juneau when they don't realize that the coho run in Northern SouthEast is TYPICALLY a September/October run this far "inland."

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Right On, Case

You used the word "location" and you just said a mouthful. When I have wanted to catch coho locally this season - I have. Sometimes you have to use your imagination to catch fish (instead of just your binoculars to see where the crowds of boats are).

It also doesn't hurt to have logbooks for most of the past four decades. They may not fit in your tackle box, but they can be your most effective piece of gear.