Thread: 30/06 240 grainers

Default 30/06 240 grainers

My wife will be in Fairbanks next month visiting our daughter and I would like her to pick me up some Woodleigh 240 grn bullets for my 30/06 does anyone know if there is a store that sells them there?? And if so would they be likely to have them in stock this time of year? Thanks!

I have not been in the ammo dept. for the sole purchase of fodder but I just "suspect" it is not manufactured. I do however buy the bullets from Huntington and load them up for my personal use.

In my .30-338 FN98 I shoot them at 2564fps or abouts and I cannot find any information as it is in my old XP hardrive an not in my new Vista. I believe with 64.7 grn. of RL19 it was shooting around .6" @ 100yds. They are an accurate bullet. I have loaded a few in my wifes .06 but nothing yet fully developed as accuracies are concerned.

There is nothing wrong with other factory loaded fodder like the Swift A Frames or if you can find some 220 grain Partitions loaded that would fill the bill.

good luck.

Thumbs down woodleigh

Woodleigh bullets not very popular here.
    Alaska

popular or not they are a good bullet-It would be neat to see them loaded up for commercial sales. Had a fella standing by me in Fbks. and over heard me saying something about my use of Woodleighs and he said "those are for Africa and dangerous game over there", okaaay that is a different perspective I thought.

Might git in touch with Murphy, he might be able to help you out.

good luck with the Woodleighs

Default thanks

Thanks guys I thought maybe they were sold up there, I see Midway sells them but they wont ship to canada so will have my inlaws order some.

Default Huntington's

You might try Huntington's. They say they'll ship anywhere the US allows commerce. The shipping charge may make it prohibitive though. I've used Huntington's a few times in the past and they are excellent to deal with. I would give them a call and see what it would cost.
    https://www.huntingtons.com/bullets_woodleigh.html

Woody

Default Woodleigh bullets....

The .308" 240 grain Woodleigh bullets were as far as I can tell were a short run brought into the country, possibly by Huntington's, and are now hard to find.

Midway USA stocks Woodleigh's but not in the 240 grain .308. I don't think any one in Fairbanks has carried them since I've been here. I routinely buy the 220 grain Kodiaks in their protected point design (a little flat meplat) and these work quite well. I have some of them in my stash. If for the 30-06, I would say the 220 grain would be all that is needed and they will allow better velocity. I think I've loaded the 220 grains to over 2500 fps in the '06. A serious bear bullet for the 30-06.

Kodiaks can be bought directly from the maker in Juneau and shipping is quite reasonable.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Barnes 250 grain round nose .308 bullets

Did any one like the big rose nose 250 grain .308 bullets that Barnes made in the late 1980's -1990's. My uncle made a run of them about 200 in 300 winchester magnum and I found that they were great on moose.

I used them for moose from 100 to 250 yards and they were deadly. I wanted to get some more but I think barnes discontinued them. They sure were great for the brush. They were also excellent for a first round in case of grizz in sheep country.

My guns (300s ) always seem to like the 180 grain swift aframes but I would like to load up some of the heavy loads as well.

Sincerely,

Thomas

Midway sucks for Woodleigh bullets as they only buy a few boxes at a time and then only have them shipped by ship over the the pond.

I've never found any place in Alaska that sells Woodleigh bullets, so I buy everthing I need form Huntington.

I have never found a time that I needed more than the 180 grain Woodleigh's in the .308. I don't know how you can go beyond "dead"?

That statment about "Woodleigh's not being popular in Alaska", would cause a lot of strange looks amoung a lot of hunters I know in this state!

That info about Midway comes directly from Woodleigh. I wish I could get a group buy togather for Woodleigh and go direct.