Thread: Fall Black Bear

Default Fall Black Bear

Can Someone please tell me a good area where I can find Blackies. I know I need to be above treeline or glassing above treeline. Just trying to find some good areas. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah I am located in Fairbanks.

Thanks in Advance

Default Birch Creek

We have floated Birch Creek a couple of times and saw some black bears. I'm not sure the population is high enough to warrent specifically hunting for them.

Since you might not want to float, I understand there are several 4-wheeler trails off the Steese Highway. Again, I don't know anything more than just that. You might want to call AKF&G in Fairbanks. They have been pretty straight with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    We have floated Birch Creek a couple of times and saw some black bears. I'm not sure the population is high enough to warrent specifically hunting for them.

Since you might not want to float, I understand there are several 4-wheeler trails off the Steese Highway. Again, I don't know anything more than just that. You might want to call AKF&G in Fairbanks. They have been pretty straight with me.
    Yeah ...but seeing a few is good news. Blackies tend to be out at night more than day, so seeing them in the day is a positive sign that the area has a reasonable population of black bears. Grizzlies seem to be seen more than blacks if you are only going out during the day.

Brian

Default Hmmmm....

I've seen black bears eating fish in the fall. I'd check by salmon BEARing streams. (LOL, I Crack me me up).
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Folks Robb will be hear all week! Try the veal, and donít forget to tip your waitress!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Back Country Robb View Post
    I've seen black bears eating fish in the fall. I'd check by salmon BEARing streams. (LOL, I Crack me me up).
    You funny guy, you make me laaaugh.

Can I get a seat close to the front?
    il vaut mieux Ítre bon que la chance

Default Hope

Thanks for your help guys. Does anyone have any experiencewith Hope around the first week of October. I have heard there is good hunting there just would like to hear it from a few more people. Once again any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default One more time

Can anyone give me some good advice for fall BB. I have a buddy coming up from the lower 48, and would really like to know of some good areas to take him. We will be walking in, and I know the majority of our time will be behind glass. I have heard Hope and Coopers landing are good areas, but I dont know much about them. I have also heard that Kenai Peninsula is also a good area but I know absolutley nonthing about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Saw lots of bear sign last week near Coopers Landing.

Quote Originally Posted by hoytman View Post
    Can anyone give me some good advice for fall BB. I have a buddy coming up from the lower 48, and would really like to know of some good areas to take him. We will be walking in, and I know the majority of our time will be behind glass. I have heard Hope and Coopers landing are good areas, but I dont know much about them. I have also heard that Kenai Peninsula is also a good area but I know absolutley nonthing about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.