Thread: Petersburg blues??

Default Petersburg blues??

Hi all...new to this particular forum though I'm on some other AK based places...
    Lived in SE for 4 years now but never been to Petersburg. Heading there on my own this weekend for 4 days; anybody willing to offer any (general) advice on if there are blue grouse or ptarmigan to be had on Mitkof? I'm not asking for anyone's hot spot; just an idea; I have an alpine hike planned and since I can't kill any deer there right now, thought I might bring along my shotty. Any info is very welcome. Thanks.

There are decent blue numbers but most ptarmigan are at elevations higher than mitkof can support. I am not sure ptarmigan are even documented on mitkof. They do exist across Mitkof on the mainland. The edges of clear cuts and alpine meadows should produce blues right now. I hunt blues occasionaly near mitkof.

Well, I saw 1 bird, and did not get a shot at it; but I guess I didn't hunt all that hard. I stopped by ADF&G and a biologist there told me that blues are easier to hunt in spring when they hoot (duh...that makes sense I guess). So maybe next spring I'll give it a whirl. Thanks for the reply, elhewman. *sigh* Originally I'm from Minnesota and I do miss the fall grouse hunting.