Thread: New wiki article added on road hunting

Arrow New wiki article added on road hunting

A new wiki article has been contributed by Back Country Robb about road hunting in Alaska. Here's a place to describe how it works and how it doesn't work, and caution new hunters about the potential problems. As with all wiki articles, this one is a community project, and can easily be added to and edited.

Thanks, Robb!

Road Hunting

Introduction

Road hunting is the least effective but most favored of the budget hunter. To increase your success rates on road hunting, homework is a must. Read maps, read maps and then read some more maps. There are a lot of popular places to road hunt and although a novice easily thinks that, "I remember seeing moose here before...", the truth is that moose are everywhere. A successful road hunter will read maps and hunt according to migratory patterns that coincide with the time of year or rut. Some moose migrate from higher elevations to lower in search of breeding cows and others spend the first few years of their lives within a 3 square mile area before they venture off to other areas. This is true for most bulls but cows are the exception as they distribute themselves everywhere. So to summarize, early season moose will be higher in elevation and old logging roads or ATV trails that network across foothills or mountains are a good bet for road hunting. Another good area is find places that swamps or large thatches of alders are next to the road system that is being hunted. An asset to road hunters is applying for cow permits in the areas that will be the focus of the road hunt. This enables the hunter to virtually double the chances for moose hunting success as most regulations permit you to shoot only bulls in most units. It is imperative that the research also involve some field verification of housing or other places nearby that people or structures might be in order to avoid a disastrous shot.
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 09-02-2007 at 10:46. Reason: Added more detail

Default No Sweat

Don't mention it... glad to help a little. Road hunting is a great way to get your feet wet and I've done my share with the soggy toes to prove it.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Default Need Admin assistance

Your HUNTING and MOOSE HUNTING links lead to blank pages. Yesterday I tried to do an EDIT on a WIKI article for field dressing of Big Game and I got times out. Now I can't seem to find the article to do it over. Can you help???
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Default Links repaired

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    Your HUNTING and MOOSE HUNTING links lead to blank pages. Yesterday I tried to do an EDIT on a WIKI article for field dressing of Big Game and I got times out. Now I can't seem to find the article to do it over. Can you help???
    Roger,

I repaired the links in the quoted section above; the links in the original road hunting article are good and should take you to the appropriate pages.

Dunno what happened on your edit problems. I would suggest doing a copy-paste of the original section you want to edit. Put that material in a Word document and do your edits there, then simply paste it in place of the existing article. Of course you will have to repair any links that might be broken in the process.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Roger,

I repaired the links in the quoted section above; the links in the original road hunting article are good and should take you to the appropriate pages.Mike
    Mike,
    Go to your now functioning HUNTING link, scroll down to the
    Meat Care section, and look at the Field Dressing section I added. What do you think? I saved this in WORD this time and can add it to the Moose section if you think it appropriate. I showed Ak Nimrod (Pat) this technique last week on our Haul Road hunt and he really liked what I did.

Roger
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Default Field care

That's a good description of the "disarticulation" method (well, that's what I have always called it, anyway), Roger. Thanks much for adding that. It is a good alternative to the "gutting" method.

And writing the section in WORD or another text editor makes good sense. I was just doing the same on a Wikipedia edit.

I would recommend taking your text and placing it in the Field Care article. It will fit nicely under Disarticulation. We can then reference the expanded field care article from Hunting, Moose hunting, and as they are developed: Caribou hunting, Deer hunting, bison hunting and so forth.

Good show...thanks! David

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    Mike,
    Go to your now functioning HUNTING link, scroll down to the
    Meat Care section, and look at the Field Dressing section I added. What do you think? I saved this in WORD this time and can add it to the Moose section if you think it appropriate. I showed Ak Nimrod (Pat) this technique last week on our Haul Road hunt and he really liked what I did.

Roger

[QUOTE=webmaster;140645]I would recommend taking your text and placing it in the Field Care article. It will fit nicely under Disarticulation.

Done