Thread: Halibut From the Beach

Default Halibut From the Beach

So I got a little bored a couple weekends ago and drove out to a random rocky ledge, just somewhere that looked like it would be deep in front of it. And I used my surf rod to throw a 3 oz lead and some bait off the beach. After about a half hour of nothing I reeled in and casted again. This time as soon as my bait hit the bottom my line started screaming and before I could get control of things the hooked popped loose of this mystery fish. About an hour later while my bait was soaking on the bottom all the slack went out of my line and I set the hook and had a couple minute fight with another mystery fish. I had hoped they were halibut but with all the coho jumping in front of me I couldn't rule out a passing coho grabbing my bait. So I waited all week (very impatiently) and headed back out to the spot. I went through the same motions of throwing my bait back out and after about 20 min my line went tight and I set the hook and started to fight a fish. Well much to my delight and a little bit of surprise as I got the fish closer it turned into a nice 20 lb halibut. I spent the next 15 min or so just staring at the fish. I had never really believed I could catch a halibut off the beach. I don't have any pictures to back up this claim but I didn't have a boat till last night and I have some halibut in the freezer.

Not only do I believe your claim, but I often try this myself. I haven't had any success (yet) but I know I will someday.

False Outer Point has produced several halibut from the beach over the years while "the gang" is out there fishing for kings. And, one time I caught a 68 lb butt in about 12' of water while trolling for cohos and not paying attention to where I was going.

I absolutely believe you 100%!

Default belive it

I seen pictures earlier this year of one caught off the beach with a surf rod at Kasilof... Can't remember how big it was but it was definatley over 60 pounds....

as a deckhand in seward for several years i back up your claim. some of the biggest halibut ive seen have been caught in shallow water. anywehre from 10-50feet of water.

Default hmmm

Sounds exactly like Tee Harbor - there is silvers jumping, and lots of halibut within casting range. Tee Harbor is full of 5 to 15lbs halibut.

Mark

I've never even tried it myself, but I know others have done it.

I heard that it was June when they come in close, but that's just what others have told me.

I know the best luck I've had with halibut in August was waaaaaaaay out in the Gulf..........