Thread: Recommendations on raingear

Default Recommendations on raingear

I have the raingear narrowed down to Sitka raingear, Impertech or Rivers West. What do you guys recommend and why? Thanks!

Default Impertech

Quote Originally Posted by buckmark View Post
    I have the raingear narrowed down to Sitka raingear, Impertech or Rivers West. What do you guys recommend and why? Thanks!
    I use the HH Impertech for guiding. It's incredibly light, very quiet in the brush, and 100% waterproof. It's also very strong- I've never had a rip or a leak.

Some of my hunters are using Rivers West this year, and I will get back to you with a report after the season. Looked too heavy to me and it had a nap finish that is probably quiet, but will hold water at least a little bit. I don't know a thing about Sitka. I've only heard of them in the last couple of years, since Marc Taylor started carrying them. I might stop by for a look, but right now I'd have a hard time buying it since what I already have works so well. HH Is no longer available in camo, if that's important to you (OD green only). I'm pretty sure Sitka is camo.

More later-

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Helly Hansen Impertech

It is fairly cheap. It wears well. It is quite. It is stretchy and rip resistant. My first set lasted over 9 years. Bought Mad Dog last year and was miserable on a bear hunt this spring. If you are looking for actuall rain gear then look no where else. Impertech has high reviews on this site. Look at the Alaska Outdoor Gear forum lower on the website. I checked out Rivers West at sportsmans warehouse. They have that impressive display. Well the base with all the water has no seems in it, so what does that tell you. Then the vest with the water running over it is heavy. I picked it up. Imertech came home with me from there. $49 for the pants and $59 or so for the jacket. That is my thoughts. Chris

Default Raingear

Living in a rainforest I'm pretty picky about my raingear and have tried a lot of different brands. I went the MT050 route and got good service for about a season then they started leaking. Cabelas replaced them and then got another season out of the 2nd pair when they started leaking. I returned them to Cabelas for a full refund. Cabela's warranty are the best!-no complaints there.

I then got a set of Impertechs, so far they have been the best, but I'm also hard on raingear and have 2 tears in them so far as I've climbed through our tangle of brush in SE. Fortunately they are easy to repair with duck tape.

I've also went through 2 sets of Rivers West with the same results as the MT050's in about the same time frame. Don't let anyone fool you if you're in continual rain like we get, they will leak and will not dry out and become very, very heavy.

I've also tried 10X and Browning's raingear. They don't make the grade!

I am looking at the Sitka gear but am waiting for some other guinea pigs to try them out. <grin>

All this said, the Impertechs have performed the best.

kingfisherktn

Default One vote for Rivers West

Haven't tried Sitka. Thought about Impertec. Own Rivers West. I wore it on Kodiak (it was really too hot) for early blacktails. I wore it in a downpour in Wyoming while riding a wheeler - kept me totally dry.

Yes, it has some drawbacks (one noted above) but it is the best I've found. The vents work reasonably well (what kept me from Impertec) and it carries a 10 year waterproof guarentee.

I had Cabela's gear before. I doubt that I will go back to MPT gear.

My 2 cents worth.

Default Correction

MTP is not correct (call it a senior moment). What I meant was MTO50. My rainpants from Cabelas couldn't take the "brush" wear that I put them through. They only took 1 year or so before they leaked.

Just my experience.

Default oh-oh!

i just purchased some mto50 to replace my impertec. i keep going through the jackets. they don't tear but just start leaking across the shoulders. if you hold them up to the light it will have a bunch of tiny holes in them. i am usually wearing a pack board or at least a pack and i think it wears through. the best is peter storm which is what helley hansen tried to copy their impertec from, but they are no longer made. my 20+ year old jacket is still perfect, but my clothes must have gotten thicker becausr it is getting too tight to wear when i layer up!

Default River's West & Impertech

I have both. One thing to note is that there are several styles of the River's West. Mine is very light weight (even after an all-day rain) and so far totally waterproof - better than my $$$ Simms Wader Gortex jacket.

My only complaint about the Impertech has been overheating, but I'm a hot person. The vents and layering concept on the River's West is great. Also, the River's West is much quieter in the brush.

As anything, it in part depends on the person and preference.

If you dont mind the noise Costco sells a nylon breatheable rain gear which includes a jacket with a hood and a pair of pants. Due to trademark restrictions they can not call it goretex but thats exactly what it is. $20 for the set. I use mine often and it will keep me bone dry on my motorcycle in a downpour. Even if it only lasts one season it is worth it at that price.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    on my motorcycle
    Dude, you've got all the toys!

I too am in the market for raingear for hunting.

The Mad Dog stuff is awful. Breathable? Not even close! I never sweated so badly in my whole life. I would have been better off with a big black trash bag.

I had a River's West Jacket, but it was too hot. They make a lighter verison, but I haven't seen them locally. I might have to head back down to Soldotna Hardware and pick up the jacket. I like the windproof fleece concept, and it was plenty comfortable. I just need something lighter for early season hunts.

I looked at the Impertech stuff, but it wasn't what I expected. I expected something breathable, but maybe in an out-and-out down pour you don't want breathable....you want dry. The Impertech stuff gets good reviews from the folks in the know on this forum, so maybe I will try some.

Any other suggestions? How is the Under Armor camo clothing? It looks even hotter than the River's West stuff.

Default surplus

I wear the german military surplus version of gore-tex in a flec-tar print, works good for me here in the interior and you can't beat the price.

Default Peter Storm...

Quote Originally Posted by kobuk View Post
    ...the best is peter storm which is what helley hansen tried to copy their impertec from, but they are no longer made...
    Are you sure about this? I thought Peter Storm was still making gear, but could only be gotten by certain avenue...Through Canada maybe. I will look into that, but I seem to recall having this conversation and determining it was still available, just not readily.

-Buck

Default Peter Storm Website...

I am not real familiar with this stuff, so I can't tell you if they have what you are looking for, but I do remember that they have an Ebay Store. Here is the Peter Storm Website, you can go directly to their Ebay Store by clicking here.

Let me know what it is that is so great here. I use Impertech, but interested to hear about this stuff too.

As for my next set of rain gear, the Marmot Precip really interests me. Lightweight and I've heard great things about it.

-Buck

Another one to check out is kooldry. at about $165 a set it is pricey, but had good reviews.

i am now retiring my h.h. and will try the kool dry as soon as it comes in stock.

stay dry.

buck
    thanks for the websight info. i will check them out and see what it would take to get more of that up here.

I have had my Peter Storm raingear for over 20 years. It is still like new. I've hunted in it, brush busted in it and never torn it or had a leak. The material is amazing. When it comes to rain rubberized material is the only thing that will keep you dry, I've never seen any of these high tech breathable fabrics keep you dry when you are out in the rain all day, busting brush or packing.