Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A change in policy for me..

Talking A change in policy for me..

As some of you may know, things have not gone so well for me here of late. Oh I'm in good health and all is well at home, still able to hold my gun up and get off a shot or two, but here on this e-net, things have gone out of hand.

I enjoy very much this forum, not so much as a moderator but for this 'space' and this opportunity to blather about what I truly have enjoyed for more than five decades. As some of you know I do a little writing on the side and some of what I write, primarily for my books, I post here. Some of this information is registered to me some of it is not. Some of the content of this forum and its many questions is part of my motivation and inspiration to write and I use this in many ways for my books. So one feeds the other and vice versa.

Anyway, I have found that a lot of what I've posted in the past few months has found it's way to other internet forums and elsewhere and the culprit has assumed all credit for it. Now that mattes very little if it is just web to web but much of it is from and for a book which I will publish. I cannot publish work under my name if it is on a public forum under someone else name. Well, I could but you can see the difficulties that may arrise from it.

Now, what all of this means to those of you who take stock in my writings, is that I can't post so freely here anymore. I can't post the detailed information here about my cartridge development, and loading data, etc.

I found quite by accident, a rather interesting story, if I do say so my self, about a hunt in Zambia. I read this story and first thought it was someone who had been where I'd been, then I thought he must have been in my hunting party, then I realized, this author was me! But he had a different name. At first it was flattering, then as I searched deeper, it was infuriating.
    There was many posts on several blogs and forums and several email addresses and several names. I guess it wasn't his fault, he doesn't have a life. Without rambling further, suffice it to say, I must change the way I do things.

I get many PMs and e-mails from forum members. I like that. I sometimes get as many as 50 or more each week. That's ok, I want that to continue. I try to answer all of them. Some get lost, some get delayed but I truly try to answer all of them. I would prefer to answer privately some of the more involved questions and that way I can be more detailed and informative. For those who have noticed conspicuously absent posts lately, I apologize. That may not have been the best way but it is what I did. Also to those of you who have detected a certain shortnesss of temper and lack of tolerance from me lately, for that I also apologize and promise to be more cordial and respectful of others views.

If the world and all of its entities always neatly fell into a neat, close fitting niche and all of us view this as 'well', there would be little to discuss. I would consider that a world of boredom. It is our different views, different experiences and different ideas that foster our different opinions. It is these opinions that, when freely expressed, shapes us to the world in which we exist. It is also these different opinions that make us interesting people.
    I have a good friend from whom I borrow this concept.

Towsend Whelen said; Only accurate rifles are interesting. Well I can say, even inaccurate people are interesting.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default food for thought

I never in my wildest dreams even thought about the issue you raise. I for one will be extremely careful in the future. Even though we haven't met I have enjoyed your perspective, knowledge, intellect, and humor. I have often thought about picking your brain a bit directly, but until then, look forward to your continued responses to my threads, posts, and ramblings. Good luck with your writing and books.

I am a moderator on a forum and had to stop a man from taking credit for your work on a certain cartridge and if you care to know who he is just PM me and will give you his forum name and a copy of what he wrote. I really hope things go well for you Murphy not only with your book but also that you health holds up and you have time to write and develop your loads. I for one have enjoyed your posts.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Thanks for this post/thread Murphy! I was wondering what was going on with you. Your posts (at least some of them) lately have had a different "flavor" I guess you'd say.

I'm glad to hear you are indeed writing a book...hope there's lots a big bore stuff in there! Sorry to hear some head of a penile protrusion is plaigarising (sp?) you though. Stinker! Maybe it's that "old poop" (as Brown Bear called him...see, I'm giving credit!) who told me not to get the Ruger No.1 in .458.

Anyway, looking forward to the book(s) coming out. How about if I PM you about those .458 loads?

Dave

Hang him high, Murph. Hang him high.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Hang him high, Murph. Hang him high.
    I tend to agree. All forums are having similar problems, people taking credit for others work or just making stuff up. Those type of people are dishonorable and don't have a life. In consequence, they have to feel big by stealing others writings or experiences and passing it off as their own. If possible, we need to ban those peole from the forum if we can positively identify them.
    Murphy, you are an invaluable source or information and knowledge, thatnks for all the effort.

Post a copyright statement in your signature? I'm sure this forum is archived and backed up, right? Those who copy you can't prevent you from publishing your work, whether posted here or not. It's pretty likely that you have dated history and the original posts to back up your claims while the other guy won't have any such thing ...he/she would have no legal standing. Anyway ..just thinking out loud.

Brian

I have found a few of my (not so great) Alaska Flying Poems being used elsewhere and even found a bootleg copy of my Float rating manual with the copywrite ends cut off the page... Some folks have lots of time for taking, but not much time for earning...

Alex
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

What a schmuck. Thanks for all the info you have posted Murphy and for still taking pm's and emails. It's too bad you had to take such extreme measures. I was wondering what happened to all your posts about load development with the Ruger 44's you did this summer. I'm getting ready to jump in to my next newbie phase of loading up some hunting/bear rounds for my SBH.

Perry
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Appreciation and regrets....

Murphy....

I'm very sorry and pissed that some lame cretin is plagarizing your work. You have been a sage and literate resource for me and all those looking for answers from someone who has already been there, done that. Few posters have your credibilty and expertise I hope you'll continue to interact here. And I'll see you at the range.

Happy Trails,
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    I am a moderator on a forum and had to stop a man from taking credit for your work on a certain cartridge and if you care to know who he is just PM me and will give you his forum name and a copy of what he wrote. I really hope things go well for you Murphy not only with your book but also that you health holds up and you have time to write and develop your loads. I for one have enjoyed your posts.
    I need to say that the above post by me was straighten out and the person was not taking credit for murphy's work. I am glad he wrote me and made clarifications which cleared up the miss understanding of his post on a different forum. That is good and I am glad for him that he was not taking credit for work he had not done. Thank you
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Thank you.

Sorry to hear about the theft of your ideas. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiments with the rest of us.

Murphy: I am truely sorry that you are changing. I understand but am still saddened that your work was stolen by another. I had one of my copy writed photoes stolen. I took it to the publisher's attention and the person has not had anything published on the national level sense. But I was also not paid for the mag. cover. I am still pissed and that was 30 years ago.

I have enjoyed your work and will buy your book when it is printed. Good luck and hope it all works for you. J.

Default sorry to hear that

The complete lack of integrity some people have never ceases to amaze me even though I see it on an almost daily basis at my job. I'm sorry you've had to change the way you do business, but I think it is probably the best way to handle this situation. Like everyone else here, I've valued your insight and enjoyed reading your posts. I can honestly say that many times when I log on it is just to see if you've posted anything new.
    On a completely different subject, I will be PM'ing you regarding the FN actions I mentioned before.

That's really a shame in both the literal and figurative sense. I try to cite my sources when passing along info that seems reasonable but may not be within my personal experience or reinforces that experience. I've found it useful when others do it too. Murphy, you have been a goldmine of information and wisdom. I'll miss the openness of your posts.

Default Misrepresentation by another

Murphy: Sad state of affairs indeed. I personally think the perpetrator should be maximally exposed and at most limited to "read only" on any forums that he might participate in - JMO

Murph,

I have enjoyed all of your writings or the ones I was able to catch. Am sorry to hear that you are pulling strings sota speak. This forum and members including myself have gained greater understandings of various techn., tips., and patience that is required in reloading.

I too hope you catch the "jerk".

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Murphy:
    Youíre doin pretty good, and you donít need to change, OR apologize.

Frankly, I donít know how you find the time. I expect you to be a little impatient once in a while. Who isn't?

It's too easy for people to tell big windys on these forums.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Sorry Murph ...

I did like the &copy signature idea. But, aside from that, you have these threads dated here. Hard for someone "writing an article" in September to claim intellectual rights to what you wrote in April....which can be verified.

Good luck in your pursuit of the evil one(s) but remember, if they weren't stealing your words, they might have time to hijack your crab pot!

Sorry to hear about all this Murphy I for one have greatly enjoyed reading everything you write on here. I have learned a lot and am sure I will continue to do so. I would like to hope this kind of things eventually stops but I see no end in sight, it just seems to get worse every year. People these days want everything handed to them on a silver plater and are not willing to work for it. Not sure how they sleep with them selfs at night. But thats just me.

Thanks again Murphy,

Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast