Thread: flintlock to percussion??

Default flintlock to percussion??

Does anyone know if you can convert a flintlock to a percussion and if so how hard is it?? Dave

It's been done, and was done quite a bit in the 1800's during the switch from flint to percussion. It depends a lot on the gun, because things have to line up right. Tell me what kind of gun do you have, and I'll do some research.

Default traditions

Brownbear I have a Traditions Hawken Woodsman flintlock. Would appreciate any info

In broad terms the vent hole in the barrel of a flintlock has to be replaced with fixture that holds the nipple (I believe it's called a balister), plus the flintlock side plate has to be exchanged for a percussion side plate. When that happens, everything has to line up right- i.e., the balister has to be positioned just right with the side plate so that the hammer hits the nipple. If that happens as a matter of course, all the better. If they don't line up it will mean either plugging the vent hole and redrilling for a balister or moving and re-inletting the side plate into the stock. If you start moving the side plate around, that means you also have to make sure that trigger engagement is still right.

Looking at the Traditions replacement locks at the L&R Lock, they say that the flint and percussion are interchangeable. That sounds like good news for you. I'd contact them to see whether simply swapping the flint barrel for a percussion barrel made more sense than trying to find and fit a new balister.

BTW- Digging further at the site reveals that replacement percussion locks are $99. If you can convert or replace the barrel cheaply that would be one thing, but if it's expensive this could turn into a costly project. Then you would have to decide whether to take it on or simply replace the gun.

Hope this helps!

Default help

Darn right it helped Brownbear, I looked at that site and looks like I can change locks screw in a ballister and thats it! Thanks again problem solved!