Thread: Alaska Series cataraft

Default Alaska Series cataraft

Does anyone here have an Alaska Series cataraft? How do you like it? Have you had any problems with it? How long have you owned it and does it seem to hold up well? What boat do you have and what type of frame do you use? I am most interested in the 14' freighty. But any information from someone who owns an Alaska Series raft would be appreciated.

Default Alaska Series Catarafts

Quote Originally Posted by akbigfish View Post
    Does anyone here have an Alaska Series cataraft? How do you like it? Have you had any problems with it? How long have you owned it and does it seem to hold up well? What boat do you have and what type of frame do you use? I am most interested in the 14' freighty. But any information from someone who owns an Alaska Series raft would be appreciated.
    I don't own one (does that disqualify me from commenting? perhaps...), but earlier this week I was discussing this boat with Tracey Harmon of Alaska Raft and Kayak. I'm impressed with the tube configuration as it looks like it would haul a big load. Tracey mentioned he has had some in the shop for repairs, but I don't know what the deal was with that. You might give him a shout.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Alaska Series Cataraft

I own one of the 14-foot Kenai Drifters and love it. While at the fair this week, I saw his 11-foot tubes that are configured for 2 people. Nice fishing rig. I'm so happy with my round raft and the service I've received, I'd consider another Alaska Series first. He also has an inflatable kayak that was impressive for price and features.

Default Alaska series

I have a 14 foot kenai drifter with a fishing frame attached and have not had any problems with it except it is hard to find a transom for it. I have come up with a concept that I will be building this week.
    The raft handles well on the Kenai which is the only river I have had it on so far.

Default Catarafts

I don't have one of the Alaska series Catarafts, but I know a few people that do.
    One thing for sure is that they are tough boats for sure, and the PVC material is my favorite fabric for any inflatable boat. The reason is that it is slick in the water, and slick on rocks and any other thing you would encounter on a river.
    This is important if you ever drag up on a gravel bar etc.
    PVC is a superior material in my opinion. Alaska series rafts and cats are all made with PVC and hold up extremely well.
    One thing I like about Jim Kings boats is the warranty on them also.
    Five years, any repair no matter the cause fixed for free....
    I have had only one boat repaired by Jim in 8 years of owning his boats and using them in my rental fleet. that was this summer... I have a fellow decide to fillet fish on the floor boards on a boat as it floated down the Kenai river,,,.. he not only cut a small hole in the boat, but ended up at the hospital getting stitches in his hand,,,,lol... anyway.. I just took the boat to jims place in Anchorage and he fixed it for free, and did it really quickly.
    One thing for sure is that there are some really great products out there on the market now in inflatables. I have used most all of the top brand names over the years, and for the most part,, they are all excellent products.
    I have found that service is key, and that a company that backs up the warranty is important. I choose to buy locally from companies that can service my equipment right here in Alaska.
    I think you will be pleased with the design and quality of the products Jim has to offer.

Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com