Thread: Any Dolly hot spots on the Kenai or Kodiak?

Default Any Dolly hot spots on the Kenai or Kodiak?

Sorry for this give-me give-me give-me post here.

I am not looking for you to give away your secrets, but does anyone have stream or river recommendations for dollies this labor day weekend on the Kenai or Kodiak (I will be headed down from Fairbanks)?

Is it too late to do well in the Anchor river?

Try your luck on the Kenai Lake tributaries and the rivers on the Lower Kenai Peninsula. Any stream that holds salmon will have dollies.

Quote Originally Posted by beng View Post
    Sorry for this give-me give-me give-me post here.

I am not looking for you to give away your secrets, but does anyone have stream or river recommendations for dollies this labor day weekend on the Kenai or Kodiak (I will be headed down from Fairbanks)?

Is it too late to do well in the Anchor river?
    It might be too late, but the last time I went near this time of year I hit the American along the road in Kodiak, and it was so thick with dollies you could have "walked across them". Ask around down there and I have no idea you will get a lot of good pointers, they don't seem to hide where the dollies are at.

dollies are every on quartz creek, if your interested shoot me an email to gokorn1@aol.com i can tell you more

Any of the rivers that cross the road system in Kodiak will have good dollie fishing. The heavy rains this week will most likely have them spread out but they will be easy to find and catch. I fish the Buskin the most for it is only one mile from were I live. Just remember all rainbows must be released and not removed from the water.
    Dave

Thanks for the tips everyone. I would like to try a variety of spots and I have maps out and looking up the spots recommended. I look forward to getting down that way.

Being a flyfisherman, generally I try to practice catch and release for trout and the same for dollies (though this is my first real chance to fish for them).

I am surprised more people dont flyfish for dollies, or at least that is the impression I get. Any thoughts on why?

well the Buskin on kodiak has more 10 inch dollies than you can shake a stick at, try pinkish wet flies.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default will be there Tuesday:-)

awesome, thank you very much for the pointer AK Powder Monkey! I have my fly vice clamped on my computer desk and getting some flies ready for the trip tomorrow...summer road trip time...rrrrmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    well the Buskin on kodiak has more 10 inch dollies than you can shake a stick at, try pinkish wet flies.