Thread: .22 decision

Default .22 decision

So I have narrowed my .22 pistol choice down to either the Buckmark Stainless Camper model or a ruger MK III Hunter....the one with the 4.5" barrel.

The browning costs quite a bit less but I keep hearing stories about them jamming...needing lots of oil and so forth.

So which is it? Anyone out there with experience with the new MK III (old 22/45).

Thanks,
    MT3006

Thumbs up Buckmark

I have the Buckmark (not stainless) and while it is a great little gun, it doesn't like to be dirty. It will start occasionally misfeeding after a hundred or so rounds. (.22 ammo is inherently dirty) As long as you keep it fairly clean it will do a great job for you. I'm not sure if the Mark series are as susceptible to cleanliness problems.

I wouldn't let this "problem" steer you away from a Buckmark, they are great little guns for the price.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

No matter which one you decide to buy, get a couple different brands of ammo and spend an afternoon with each to see which one feeds and functions better.
    Tennessee

Both are great, but the Ruger is bulletproof. I have a MK 1 and II, not a III, but they are all basically the same. I have had absolutely no issues with any of the thousands and thousands of rounds I have put through them.

Snowwlfe is right, tho. Whichever you choose, and you can't go wrong with either if you take even the basic care of them, but the ammo choice is critical. My Ruger Mk 1 will digest plain lead ammo all day and group as well if not better than jacketed ammo, but my Mk II doesn't shoot pure lead accurately for heck. It will chamber, shoot and eject them all day long, but no brands I have found will print anything but all over the paper at 15 yards. This same pistol will shoot jacketed rounds into a 3 inch circle at that distance all day long, offhand. From a rest, I scare myself it shoots so well.......
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Default Go Ruger

I have both a Ruger MKII and a MKIII, they are great. I have put over 10,000 rounds thought myMKII. I bought the MKIII hunter because liked the idea of a ribbed bull barrel and fiber optic sights. Both pistols shoot well and are very rugged. The ruger pistols will go through a brick before cleaning is needed. I usally clean mine after each use, which is after at least 500 rounds. I like the construction of the MKII and MKIII. They are constructed of mostly steel and are very well finished. If you go with the Ruger I would recomend getting at least 2 extra mags and a HKS Magazine Speedloader. Both are avalible through Midway at a reasonable price and help to make your time at the range more enjoyable.
    Train today to succeed tomarrow

US Army Miltary Police

Watch your speed ( Chronographs work great! )

I can't speak against the Buckmark because I don't own one and haven't shot any enough to form impressions.

I can speak up for the Ruger. Top notch! I've shot both my MKI and MKII so much they should be worn out by now, but they just keep getting better. Never had a reason to buy a MKIII, but two friends bought them based upon my experience with earlier models. One had a problem with loose sights, but Ruger fixed it promplty.

You can't go wrong with the Ruger, and I want to believe the same would be true for the Buckmark.

I've got a MKII Gov. and really like it. I've never had a problem with the gun.

The .22 I like the best for packing around is a S&W 63. Very light but still accurate.

Well, I've sold both here in my gun shop & I must say, people are more satisfied with the Ruger. If you go with the Browning, be sure to read the owners manual (of course do this with ALL guns). You have to be very careful about removing the grips on the Buckmark, they hold some internal parts together.
    Old Cowboys never die, they just keep riding the Range.

I have two Rugers, 5 1/2 bull barrel blue steel and a s/s with the 6 in barrel, both are totally bullet proof, you shoot any kind of crap through them and never clean 'em, and still shoots.
    Not really but they will go and go with very little maintenance or cleaning, but I also have a Buckmark, camper model SS with the contoured grip 5 1/2 in. bull barrel and fiber optic sights. The Buckmark is way more accurate, excellent shooter, super gun, but does need a bit more attention and cleaning, also it will shoot everything I've put in it but it likes HV ammo and better quality stuff.
    It will shoot cheap bulk ammo fine but tends to get sticky after a couple of hundred rounds.

If you are going to hunt with it, I'd get the Buckmark, if just tin cans and paper targets and occasional rabbits or such, the Ruger would be fine.
    Both guns will do a great job; the Buckmark is just a cut above, in my opinion.

I have owned 4 Ruger's from the original standard model to the 5" target and still have the 10" silhouette and the stainless slab side target. My brother in law still has my original and it still shoots the same.
    They love Blue Tag CCI Mini Mag hollow points today because most ammo is not as good as it used to be.
    I have friends with Buckmark's and they shoot good. They need more cleaning.
    The Ruger has to get VERY dirty before you have trouble.
    I have not found a difference in accuracy between them and would buy a Ruger first off. I have been shooting them for over 56 years without a problem.

I have 2 MK1 targets, one with scope and a buckmark with scope. The Ruger will out shoot the Buckmark but not enough to worry about. I shot NRA indoor pistol with the Ruger for a few years and it shot as well as the High Standards,S&W41s and others. If you can shoot, either one will take rabbits at 100yds fairly consistantly. I haven't shot the Buckmark enough at any one time to know if getting dirty is a problem or not. I have shot the MK1 over 1000 rds without cleaning and it just keeps on working. I can't remember it ever jamming.

get the ruger

I've never owned a Ruger, I have a Buckmark Micro 4" Bull Barrel. Excellent gun, more accurate than I am. Is somewhat finnicky with Remington brick ammo, is flawless with CCI ammo, both regular and stingers. One problem with the Buckmark, to give it a thorough deep cleaning, you must remove the top bar. If you want to mount a scope you must replace the top bar with a rail, and must remove this rail to deep clean. This could possibly cause your scope to need rezeroing.

Your normal after use cleaning does not require this, and I never have to readjust the rear dovetail after a deep cleaning, but a scope could be different. Haven't heard specifically of anyone having this problem, but it makes sense that it could be a problem.

I bought the MK3 Hunter a couple of years ago. I really like this pistol. After I bouight it I put a Eotech holo sight on it,then took it off and sold it. I recently built a gold dot front sight for it. I don't particularly care for the HiViz sight(too large diameter for my tastes)

The gun itself is excellent.
    Visit my site, Guncraft, for exotic wood gun grips.

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Default Ruger MKIII 6" Fluted Bull Barrel

Bought mine a few years ago now. Great gun!!! It will shoot from dawn 'til dusk before I have to clean it. The only complaint that I have had is the fiber optic sights and targets closer than twenty yards.

I have had to tighten the rear sight a time or two after a couple hundred rounds. I could probably fix this with a spot of locktight, or thread puddy.

The front fiber optic sight seems cheap, and is too large, it covers too much of the target. I prefer the old standard iron sight, guess I just have a hard time adjusting to anything else. I have found that I shoot mine
    1-1 1/2 inches low at anything under twenty yards. I have tried adjusting the sights, to no avail. From my own experience, I realize this could be me. I have had simular results with other revolvers and pistols, only to find that at 20 yards or more the sight/ target alinment comes onto the same plane. For most hunting situations this variance is no problem, unless I'm shooting at a snake that just appeared a few feet away, but then we don't have snakes in Alaska, do we.

I haven't shot a buckmark but I did get a Ruger mark III in May. IT will out shoot me at 25 yards and is tough as nails 500 rounds through it with out any malfunctions or cleaning. When I got it I sprayed a quick shot ot lube down the barrel and in the action then started feeding it CCI minimags, Remington Golden Bullets, Federal Targets, and Cheap federal buld crap. All shoot good and flawless. I don't plan on cleaning it till it starts to malfunction just to see how long it can go.