Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back from a sheep hunt

Default Back from a sheep hunt

I have to begin this by thanking everyone here. I haven't posted much but for the past year and a half I've been reading everything you folks have written about sheep hunting. Just about every piece of equipment I used I learned about here. Again, thank you all!
    I had a great hunt with guide Blake Trangmoe, asst guide Cale Trangmoe and my cousin Dave, and with their deft assistance and despite my glaring inadequecies I actually took a decent ram. Full curl on the right, broomed on the left, and a beautiful critter all the way round. We saw bigger rams, but this one will do nicely.

The hunt nearly killed this flatlander and my knees haven't recovered yet. To my surprise we climbed all night long every night to get above the rams by first light. We slept when we could (usually on the mountain mid-dayish, while the sheep were doing the same.) The day I shot my ram we left camp at midnight and climbed for 5 1/2 hours in the dark (read: no headlamps). Ran into a belligerent cow moose in the creek bottom at about 1:30am and did a little dance with her for a few minutes. Over the next 4 hours we gained just over 1700 feet and covered about 3 miles according to my gps. Got to where we wanted to be just at dawn and found the big ram we had been watching the evening before had moved all the way to the top--540 yds above us. Tried to close the distance but the closer we got the harder it was to get on him--smart critters those old rams. He knew right where to hang out. Ran into the one I killed later that morning. Saw him first at 350yds and ultimately made the shot at a whopping 15yds. BTW--3.5x is way too much magnification at 15 yds! Awesome hunt but I doubt I could hack another like it.
    I worked out for nearly a year, lost 15 lbs and thought I was in pretty fair sheep shape for being nearly 47. Wrong! The Chugach Mountains just plain kicked my arse. My companions, Alaskans all, skipped around those slopes like they were part sheep. I just stumbled along behind them as best I could. Glad I did it but if there is another sheep hunt in my future I'll be spending more time in the gym and on the hills than I did this time!

Attached Images Attached Images

Congratulations on the nice ram. Did he age out at eight or nine?

Very nice ram and a great report -- congratulations! Bet you didn't spend much time practicing at 15 yards. Let's hear some details on that excellent job of stalking, please.

Default way to go

great ram and way to hang in there with your guides!

Default What Area

Open area or draw?
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Default Congrats on a nice ram

Was that a Chugach State park ram?

Default Your Ram

Fullcurl,

I think that was your ram you posted pictures of ealier:-) Just kidding, good luck on your hunt. I will be doing the death march into the park on the 3rd.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Default congrats

Congratulations on a fine ram and a nice scenic picture to boot! You now understand the beauty but grueling nature of dall sheep hunting. You're right----those big rams are very smart. Trying to put the sneak on a critter with eyes the equivalency of an 8 power scope, in some of the nastiest terrain on the planet is no easy task. Usually it requires climbing around and over the mountain they're on, and then after hours of climbing, you discover he's still out of range or can still see you. Sheep hunting tests both your physical and mental stamina, as you discovered. Congratulations again for coming out on top!

Nice job!... and welcome to the obsession..... There's nothing like sheep mountains, Dall Sheep, lactic acid, lack of sleep, etc., etc., etc. It all makes for the most awesome hunt a guy could ever want.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Great job!

...and great story and pics, KC.
    Sheep huntin like it ought to be.....

Enjoy that fine meat too.

Frank

Default Congrats on sheep, Age of Sheep

Congragulations. How old is the sheep? Trying to learn how to count the growth rings.

Default Good lookin ram!!

I would like to know how old they aged him as well. Still trying to learn mself. I'm going with 8. Some of you veteran sheep guys step in here and tell us what it is.
    IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE THEN CAN I BLAME MY PENCIL FOR MISSPELLED WORDS?

Congrats on the ram!

I'm learning as well at aging sheep, but I'm guessing 8 1/2 yrs old from the horns. I'd like to know what F&G aged him at as well.

Looks like 8 to me from the pic.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default I'll bite...

Okay, I'm thinking a nice, solid 8 1/2 yo. Not too many false annuli it would seem...maybe two or so....

Frank
    Last edited by fullkurl; 10-25-2008 at 00:15.

Default Plain Nuts...

You are an animal, sir. I don't have the knees to allow for the hike and even if I did I think I'd wimp out at camp and keep the fire going

Congrats man, you really earned it.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Yep he's 8 y.o. and Fullkurl has the annuli just right.

He was shot in 14a, the area going to "any ram" and draw next year.

The 15 yard thing was kinda fluky. We had just gotten back to our packs from our unsuccessful attempt at the bigger ram on the ledge up top when three rams crested a sloping ridge 350 yards away. The first two were 1/2 curls and the third was the ram I took. When those rams worked their way back over their ridge and out of sight we again dropped everything but the guns and sidehilled it up and down three other ridges before easing up to where we last saw the rams. The two smaller rams had moved higher and were watching us from about 100 yds when Blake and I eased up behind a big rock right where the sheep had been. Blake took a slow peek over the rock and immediately dropped back down grabbing my shoulder to pull me down with him. He whispered "15 yards" and I turned the scope all the way down. He double checked to make sure it was the right ram, nodded OK, and I stood up and got a scopeful of sheep. The ram picked his head up from feeding and turned to look at me just as I pulled the trigger.

You haven't really lived until you've eaten sheep tenderloins in the mountains!

BTW--The bigger ram reappeared as the butchering and caping were taking place. He watched us the whole time. He was still there when we left.

Here are a couple more pics. The first I'm all smiles starting down the big hill. The second I'm about done in at the bottom and there's still a mile+ to go to camp.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Good Job!

KC:

Thanks for sharing your story. I must have gotten pretty lucky, because my hunt wasn't near that hard. Way to gut it out and make it happen!

Default Congrats

That sounds like a great hunt KC and a very nice ram as well. The fourm has been good to many of us over the years and I also thank all that contribute. Any sheep taken in 14a is well deserved as you now know. Take Care.

Alpine

Looks and sounded like a great hunt. I cannot wait to get up there and go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast