Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black "Bass" Rockfish recipes

Default Black "Bass" Rockfish recipes

We were out trolling over by Pogibishi last week and caught several nice Black Bass. I've heard they are excellent eating so we filleted them out, but now I need a good way to cook them.

Quote Originally Posted by HomerAdam View Post
    We were out trolling over by Pogibishi last week and caught several nice Black Bass. I've heard they are excellent eating so we filleted them out, but now I need a good way to cook them.

I like to blacken them over charcoal and make them into fish tacos, mmmmm.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

the ole stanby

beer battered with some English Malt Vinegar

Bass are good with just about any recipie for white fish.

Here's a quickie:
    Skin fillets, beat one egg with a Tbsp water, crush some Ritz crackers
    Brush fish with egg wash, season with salt & pepper and dredge in Ritz crumbs

Pan fry over medium heat 2-3 minutes per side or bake in preheated oven at 325 for 25-30 minutes

Agreed on the beer batter approach, though they're good grilled or seared as well. Just don't bake them, as they become somewhat rubbery if not cooked quickly. Also, if you haven't made much beer batter, it really does make a difference if you use a quality beer. I prefer Alaskan Summer Ale or Alaskan Amber, but as long as you stay away from the mass-produced swill it should turn out fine.

Default Panko fried Black Bass

Cut into pieces, dredge in flour/season salt, dip in eggs, coat with Panko and deep fry, my family loves it this way.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." John Wayne

Default Shore lunch...

My skipper out of Port Lions always used to cut one or two for our pan-fried lunch and they were excellent. They are tremendous in a fish sandwich.

Beware freezing them to take home for further use. They will mush out...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Thumbs up i have to disagree

once or twice a season i will take a limit of blacks or duskies, and i have found them to freeze very well, of course bleeding and icing is done on the boat, and i vac-pack and blast freeze them.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Thumbs up

Skin, cut into small pieces, dip in beaten eggs, roll in crushed saltine crackers and then deep fry till golden brown. Great way to make halibut as well.

I know this is not a do it yourself recipe, but if you ever have it, you will be amazed. You have to find an asian cook to do this for you, so you need to have two fish, one for you and one for the cook. If you have someway to keep the fish alive when you deliver to your cook, the better.

This is a dish where the fish is battered whole and deep fried and served in a bowl with a soup made with chunks of pineapple.

As in all oriental fish cooking, these folks wrote the book.

Any fisherman that lives near an asian cook, needs to make fast friends of them.

That has to be a huge deep frier to do a whole fish.

It is a vary large presentation in a family style setting. Served in a large bowl. The flesh breaks off in large chunks and along with the soup is beyond belief in taste. My mouth waters in memory of this delightful dish.

I've been served this meal in HongKong, Arizona, Maryland and just wished I knew someone here in Alaska that would prepare it for me again.

My family and I enjoy black rockfish sashimi...

i just always filleted them, skinned them, season, butter and lime if i have it, roll in foil and insert in coals

Release Lake Trout

Our favorite way to eat black bass and yellow eye is to filet and skin, then cut into 1/2" medalions. Roll medalions in flower. In a small sauce pan, cover the bottom with olive oil and add one large heaping tablespoon of minced garlic. Carmelize the garlic then throw in a stick of real butter.

Get a skillet and coat it with garlic butter and get the pan hot. Add medalions and flip it over immediatly to cover both sides. Add a little garlic salt and squeeze some lemon over the fish. Turn fish over within one minute and do the other side for one minute. Both sides should be slightly brown. Key is not do too much at one time. I do about 10 medalions at a time and if the butter burns, I just wipe it off and start fresh with more garlic butter.

I do scallops the same way and shrimp the same minus the flower coating.

Skin the fillets, poach them in a vegitable broth (saute onions, cellery and peppers then bring to a boil for 10 min, then drop to simmering for the poaching) Toast a french roll, add the poached fillet and top with onion, lettuce, tomato, mayo and horseradish.

Smoked. Fillet and cover each fillet top and bottom with rock salt for about 30 min then smoke for about 5 hours. For jerk smoke them longer. we use them for samiches, salads, tacos, snacks, you name it. Plain ole pan fried is pretty good too.

prepare in advance: 3T lemon juice, 2T butter, 1T 100% maple syrup (no fake stuff), lemon and/or orange zest to taste

filet, sear in butter over medium high heat, turn after a couple of minutes, sear the other side, increase heat to high and add lemon butter, allow to reduce for a minute or two then serve.

Just did this a couple of nights ago and it was incredible.

I've also had a variation of this that involved green grapes (halved and added with the lemon butter).

It's a delicate enough fish and flavor that we simply saute' over medium heat with a very mild amount of lemon juice and black pepper in butter or butter substitute. You can add very slight amounts of garlic, too, if that suits you, but don't over-do it.

As with many of the white fish, don't over-cook it.

With these, plain and simple is the best way for my family.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

black bass are also a great sushi fish if your into that kinda thing....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast