Thread: Anyone loading or shooting Berger bullets?

Default Anyone loading or shooting Berger bullets?

I was at the local Cabela's last night and saw they finally get some of these in. I have been reading about them for months now and have watched their TV show and am very interested in trying them out. I think the 168gr VLD in my .308 would be pretty nice considering it's high BC (.512)

Have any of you guys loaded them up yet or have any experience with them? I cant believe everything I see on TV so I figured I would ask.

Thanks-Tim

Default Berger bullets

Look futher-I don't believe that they are "hunting" bullets-mostly for target. Might work on some light skinned deer.

I checked their web site, and they do indeed list big game hunting bullets and link a video on hunting with them. Looking at the VLD bullets they list for big game hunting however, they have a very small hollow point reminiscent of Sierra Match Kings, which in my limited experience aren't all that great for game.

Interesting that they are promoting them for hunting. TV shows such as you describe are high budget, so they're obviously making a commitment. I didn't research the site to learn about construction, though.

Till now the only regular users of Bergers I know are serious benchresters, and they swear by them.

Interesting thread.

Default Berger

Tim,

I have shot them out of my 30-338 Win Mag. they are great target bullets, most of the bench rest shooters use them. They are very similer to the Sierria Match king bullets, just a little more expensive. they shoot well, but they are not ment for hunting, you might shoot a wolf or coyote with them. they have a very high BC and are great match grade bullets I have shot some very good groops with mine but have never hunted with them.

Whit

On their website they list 2 different types of bullets, a match bullet and a big game hunting bullet called the "VLD". I know about the match bullets, just wanting some info on the VLD.

Thanks-Tim

Default VLD Bullets

I received a box for field testing from the North American Hunting Club. They were the .308 cal, 168 gr VLD. NAHC wanted a report on accuracy and performance on game. I too was skeptical, but they (NAHC and Berger) swear these are a bullet designed for hunting.

I loaded them for my 30-06 and they shot beautifully. Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to take any game with them, but I wouldn't hesitate to use them on game for which the bullet weight is appropriate. I wouldn't plan to use them on big dangerous game.

NAHC did carry the field reports from other testers, and their reports indicated great results on game, but I don't recall what these hunters were targeting.

It's all anecdotal, but I think they are worth a try. Certainly for deer, caribou, sheep, black bear. I'll try them on moose, but that 168gr is a little lighter than I consider optimum.

Berger bullets are not hollow point! They are open point. What that means is they have the core square in the jacket with no lead near the tip, you have a lot of open space. This is a vary important factor for accuracy. For hunt large game, forget it!

If you have any questions about the construction of these bullets, call Eric or Walt at Berger Bullets and ask them.

By the way, the fact is that all match bullets that are marked hollow point or HP are really open tip. Including the one I swage here at the house.

I think use for big game is what everyone is questioning. Berger is pushing them for big game, both on their site and in ads, and it's a bit confusing. No one is questioning them as target bullets, but all of us are kinda wondering how they qualify- in Berger's mind or in fact- as big game hunting bullets.

You have to remember that the company that owns Berger Bullets now is the same company that has always made the jackets for everbody making macth bullets. That company is Spivey. I don't know if they changed there jacket design, ie thicker or thicker tappered jacket?

I would NOT use them, I can make bullets for my own use with a thick copper jacket bullet,. But I do not. I much rather buy and shoot Woodleigh's and not have the worry.

Default Article

The August-September 2007 edition of Handloader Magazine has an article by John Barsness that details the use of Berger Bullets for hunting. The bullet performance actually sounds rather impressive when used on lighter game such as deer. I have a video where they used these bullets on elk at longer ranges, and it just dumped them. Think I'll stick with my tsx for the critters up here, but for longer shots at bou or sheep, the Berger would probably work very well.