Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wife's first Grizzly and Caribou

Default Wife's first Grizzly and Caribou

The wife and I just got back from a great supper cub drop hunt with 40 mile air. Great service and a hunt of a life time. My wife scored on her first caribou and grizzly. She had a shot at a nice grey wolf as well. The wolf got luck. Leif and his crew went above and beyond for us. With out their service I would have been unable to show my wife the true remote Alaska. In doing so I have got her as addicted to the rush of the hunt as I have. We had many encounters and shared an adventure of a life time.

Thumbs up Great job!

Congratulations on a fantastic adventure. I'm happy for you, especially your wife. How big is the Griz? Looks great...I can imagine your excitement...it's what it's all about. Thanks for sharing...I hope to return the favor in a few days. Ciao.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Awsome, and congrats on your hunt. I have heard nothing but good things about 40 mile
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Wow congrats. Great pics and thanks for the info. Hope to use 40 mile next year. Good to know they treated you well.

Default Grizzly Size

It was a young sow. about 5.5 and a 19 inch skull. We had seen her the day we flew and and could not shoot of course. The small caribou in my post was right by where we had seen the bear and within her range. We had went to the range many times and I knew she was only able to shoot out to about 150 yards . I shot this caribou because it was close to camp and I thought she might get a shot at the bear or the wolf we had seen. As you can see I love it when a plan comes together. It looked like I knew what I was doing. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometime.

Mark

Great hunt and photos! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    ........As you can see I love it when a plan comes together. It looked like I knew what I was doing. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometime.......
    It's always great when they turn out like that.

I'm sure you've had the "other type" of hunt. That's also great, but only when looking back on it with the right spirit.

When I bring the wife out, we always have a great time. Just being out there with her is great.

Thumbs up

Stid
    Looks like you had a great trip with your wife . It's got to feel good to be with your wife on her fisrt take down .
    I see you had your bear fence along !!! Did you have any sniffers around other than the one that was shot ???

Thanks for the picture's

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Default That's great!

Congratulations to both of you! What a way to start off the hunting season and her new addiction! Looks like the bear had nice fur already. Good job.

Default Bear Fence

We had other bears in the area. My Caribou carcass did not stay there long. The point we were setup up on was right on a bear trail. They seem to use trails about 20 yards or so up hill of the river. Here is a picture of the trees they had been marking right in camp. The wife had that thing on 24 hours a day and we both slept better. It seemed that they stayed on their side and we stayed on ours. I brought a tester and tested it every night before bed.

Steve

Default rifle?

Is your wife shooting a rem. model 6?

Default Wife's Rifle

The wife is shooting a remington model 760 game master pump chambered in 308
    She learned that everything in the world is afraid of the sound a pump gun makes when pumped. We had 3 hice bulls and one that was huge. She spotted them at 100 yards and when she pumped that gun they came unglued. She slug bullets every where. 3 clean misses and one lesson learned. Glad she got another chance. made the hunt.

Steve

Mark

Beautiful photos, stid.

Great pics and story Stid! You and your wife have had one heck of a season! Whats next this year?

Default Congratulations!

I had the great fortune to go on a hunt similar to that with my husband. A memory I will never forget. And yes we are still hunting together.

Steve:

Is that one of those good looking Cutco's on your side? How did it perform?

kingfisherktn

Default awesome

Congrats! Those were awesome pictures and good memories. Kudu's to you and your wife!

Way to go! That looks like it was just a remarkable trip. Give a congrats to your most excellent hunting partner!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default AWESOME Pics and Hunt!

Stid,

You made my day and are killin' me at the same time. I'm not hunting AK this year, and those pics of the 40 Mile country stabbed me right in the heart! But thanks for telling us about your hunt, and your wife sure looks like she's hooked on wilderness hunts! Seems you have a capable and willing partner on your hunts for years to come.

Had she flown remotely in Cubs before? There's nothing like the first time you get in one of those babies and bounce down on an "Alaskan landing strip".

When you have time, fill us in on some of the other game and bear encounters? They're always great to hear about.

Michael

Default Cutco Knives

Cutco is a great Company. After skinning 3 spring bears mine needed to be resharpened, Sent it to them and had it back in 10 days and they sent it UPS for 5 bucks. Mine seems to be good for 3 animals. After 2 caribou and the bear it needs to be resharpened. That knife made quick work out of it. They cut like crazy, fit your hand well and are easy to hold on to after your hands start getting greasy. Used the Alaska knives Cub Bear to do the head and feet on the bear, It is a nice knife as well.

Steve

Steve, you sure know how to set up a great camp. Great pics; I know that country and sure glad you and the wife were able to get out together. Real neat to see/hear hunting stories like this. Did you by chance try any of the grizzly meat? Bumper crop of berries here and imagine it is the same where you were. Been hoping for a fall berry bear so we can put up some lard. Beautiful hide for this time of year on that grizz.
    Best,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast