Thread: Butts in Homer

Default Butts in Homer

Well I needed to hit the salt 1 last time this year and Valdez was not panning out since the charters I contacted were full or didn't call back.
    So I booked and all day for the wife and I down Homer way on the 1st for some Halibut. Anyone have the skinny on how things are going down there.

Fished out of Homer last Saturday. Caught Halibut until our arms hurt. Didn't do any good trolling for Salmon though.

Sept 3 I will be down there one last time for the summer...
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Good Weekend

We had a good weekend for halibut, for us most of the action was outside the bay in the inlet. We stopped for coffee at Halibut Cove and saw one 30+ lb king that had been bagged off Halibut Cove. Others were fishing silvers, but the halibut fishing was good and most boats seemed to be concentrating on halibut. Good Luck.

Smile Good news

Sounds great and good to here. Looking forward for some bottom fish after catching 100's Salmon over the last couple months in Sitka.
    I will post some pic's if we are lucky.
    Thanks

I skipper for one of the area charters and the fish are pretty much everywhere. Of course the larger ones are out 25+ miles. Yesterday my clients were complaining that their arms and fingers were tired from reeling up fish. Good Luck and hope the seas are calm for you.

Default homer halibut

Are you guys fishing with charters, or your own boats? I gonna head down to Homer middle of next week and camp a couple days, wondering what charters are still operating in September.

Who do you work for HomerAdam? Do you guys operate into Sept?
    Thanks!

Default Had a great Time

Well our trip to Homer was great went out with Coastal on the Foxfire and we all limited out. The Capt Marvin was great as well the the deck hand Chelsea.
    Here is a pick of the 57" caught what a pig.
    Last edited by Formerly Montana Bob; 08-16-2009 at 10:31.

What area did you fish? Left or right outside the bay?

Default Bigger than I was catching

Quote Originally Posted by Formerly Montana Bob View Post
    Well our trip to Homer was great went out with Coastal on the Foxfire and we all limited out. The Capt Marvin was great as well the the deck hand Chelsea.
    Here is a pick of the 57" caught what a pig.
    Nice fish! Where were you at? Much larger than I was catching. Water was rough for the small boat I was in this morning so we went east of the spit, couldn't connect on much. Pulled up about 5 sharks and a few irish loards(sp?). No butts. Where were you at?

Default Don't Know

To be honest I really don't know where we fished as it was pretty fogged out when we left and could not see a thing.
    When the fog lifted we were in the middle of the ocean as no land was in sight. I know we traveled for about 2 hours and do remember someone on the boat saying there is Redoubt Mtn? on the way in. Don't quite know the area,wish I could be a little more help on the location. We did not see another boat anywhere in the area.
    When we first arrived the tide was pretty strong and we did pull anchor and drifted. A few hours later we anchored at a few spots and remember the Capt saying the tide should be rushing past but it was pretty nice with lines straight down and pretty calm. This was Sat the 1st.
    There was 12 of us and we started fishing at about 10 or so and by about 2:30 there was about 4 of us with poles in the water trying to get 2 guys there last fish. By 3:00 we limited out and headed back.
    We could have had more fish quicker if we wanted but the gals all pulled there poles after there first fish and sat around and were called to set the hook when the men had something on the other end. My wife even threw one back as it was on the small side and still limited out at 1:00
    Last edited by Formerly Montana Bob; 08-16-2009 at 10:31.

Default Flat Island area...?

Quote Originally Posted by Formerly Montana Bob View Post
    To be honest I really don't know where we fished as it was pretty fogged out when we left and could not see a thing.
    When the fog lifted we were in the middle of the ocean as no land was in sight. I know we traveled for about 2 hours and do remember someone on the boat saying there is Redoubt Mtn? on the way in...
    Bob - I am still learning the area as well, but it sounds like you were about 25-30 miles out, somewhere off of Flat Island. They have been producing well out there from my experience and what I have heard from others, but you tied into fish much larger than I. My average was probably 15-20 pounds...more like a DUCK than a CHICKEN!

FM Bob - sent you a PM.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

IF you were 2 hours out you went pretty far out. Very nice fish and thanks for sharing the pics.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default And good on ya Bn'R

Quote Originally Posted by BucknRut View Post
    Bob - ...you tied into fish much larger than I. My average was probably 15-20 pounds...more like a DUCK than a CHICKEN!
    Those sea-going ducks and chickens taste way better, and are less wormy than the big girls and have way less probability of being the bearers of future halibut.

I target the small guys for that very reason. Besides, I can't eat a picture.