Thread: handguns through canada?

Default handguns through canada?

can you carry handguns through canada?
    or do i need to ship them to a ffi.

Default Short Answer...

is no. However, you can, if it doesn't fit into some arbitrary class of handguns the govt of Canada declared illegal. It will cost you around $500 US to get a permit. Use google and you'll find a Canadian govt website that I actually found pretty informative. Long guns are checked at the border and you just pay about $40 CAN in fines for bringing them thru. Fill out the paperwork (download and print from the website) beforehand.

Now, the ***hole that inspected my trailer found ONE .357 shell and just KNEW I had it with me. I had to unload my entire life's belongings and he went thru every box. He was pissed when he didn't find it. But he never would have, it was at my mom's in MT. I brought it up with me one time when I flew home. Much easier that way. Good luck!

Default Ship them...

When we moved to Juneau from down south, we were going to go through canada, than take the ferry into Juneau with our truck. When I found out the hassle of bringing the guns through the border, I decided to put our truck on the barge to ship to Juneau, and then fly into Juneau from Seattle. It took a few days to get our truck and belongings on the ferry, but hey...I didn't want the hassle of going through Canada.

My suggestion..just mail it. However, I believe they have to be mailed "overnight" ( or maybe 2nd day) through UPS, which may cost a bit more.

Default guns through canada

SHIP THE HANDGUNS........but I didn't have any problems with the long guns.

I crossed the border in Montana last July on the way to AK...I had a couple rifles and shotguns, I had the forms pre-filled out from the canadian website, I waited in line, answered a few questions paid $25 Canadian and was on my way in less than 15 minutes.

Coming back into US/AK the border officer asked about firearms, asked to see the canadian paperwork and I passed through the border in less than 5 minutes.

It helped tremendously that I had the paperwork done in advance....the guy behind me in line at the first crossing was wishing he had planned ahead.

I also made my own inventory sheet documenting the ammo I had as well. They seemed to appreciate that I had everything in order.

Maybe luck both times but it was pretty painless.

thanks for the ifo.
    does anyone know the website and the form #?

tab999

Default website

Main site here:

http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/factsheets/visitin_e.asp

Read the whole thing but the forms you need are linked under "Option 1".

There is the first form and then the continuation form depending on how many firearms you are transporting. Remember don't sign it......

MT3006

thanks again.

You can transport handguns through Canada. You will need an ATT (authorization to transport). It will require you to have a good reason for having the gun on the the trip and to rigorously obey the terms of transport and storage. It helps to develop a good relationship with an agent of the Canada Firearms Centre. Do all your planning and paperwork way before your travel. Don't try to fudge anything on your application. Canada has their laws and the right to enforce them. They WILL enforce the laws and regs around firearms travelling through their country. It is much simpler to ship your handguns than to run the paperwork gauntlet, but it is doable. I have done it, but would not do it again. It required me to enter and leave EXACTLY when, and where, I stated in my ATT. Any variation is a major hassle.

OK, so say I want to carry my pistol, revolver,what have you, on my way up to Dawson City, as I have the right to in Alaska. Now I know I can't carry it into Canada, but can I just "check" it in at the border and pick it back up when I come back into AK?