Thread: FT Rich winter hunt advice wanted!

Default FT Rich winter hunt advice wanted!

ok guys, I drew the ft rich winter hunt. This will be my first time hunting there. Any advice would be appreciated! I'm sure I will get all kinds of responses now! lets try to keep it constructive!
    Thanks
    Tim

I had that hunt a few years ago and it seemed that most of the bulls had lost their antlers (December25-31). I also noticed that moose would come out to certain browse areas in the early morning and evening. I think a guy could pattern them and then set up an ambush spot. Just my 2 cents.

Default Ft Rich Winter

I drew the tag a few years ago.
    The piece of advice I kept hearing -- "Don't pass on a legal moose".
    Reason - most passed on critters, only to not be lucky enough to see another for the rest of the season.
    I took advantage of the 'scouting' time allowed. When the gates opened on opening day, I already knew where I had seen a few critters. Took a cow on day two and near first light.

Default Thanks!

Thank you for the advice!!! keep em coming!!

Default Winter Moose Hunt

Are you comfortable on snow shoes as well as cross country skis? Last year there was a real dumping of snow the first weekend. Ft Rich's Game & Fish folks have some stats, I'd check the success ratio for the particular areas hunted, manhours spent vs number harvested. You'll wanna' know what areas are easily traversed on foot, so some prescouting will obviously pay off. Know your boundaries from one area to another, so you'll know precisely where you're at all times. As Stogey indicates, never pass up a legal moose, if you've got an ethical shot. It stands to reason that the moose will grow more wary as the hunting pressure continues, so I think your chances are best early in the hunt. If you hafta' rely on a range finder like I do, hang it around your neck before you leave the house. My lesson learned. If someone harvests a calf, the cow may stay close and become an easy target. The only bull I saw was young and provided a lot of entertainment. I don't know how long these threads are kept active by the forum, but you might look at some of the chatter during last year's winter hunt if possible. I found it a blast, out there by myself just listening to almost nothing. Good Luck.

Default I was lucky last year...

I had the winter season last year (December to January). I went out on the 2nd day of the season before light and got to the area I wanted to look around. As soon as it was light enough to hunt, I started hiking around. Within an hour, I stumbled across a cow that didn't seem to care I existed. Despite myself being in the middle of a clearing, she walked right at me until she was about 15 yards away, turned sideways and stood there. Ended up being the easiest hunt I have ever had. It is rare to have something like this happen, but part of it was a result of having my plan ahead of time. The Ft. Rich rec personnel had talked of a low take during the eariler seasons and I decided that I would take the first opportunity I got (since I was just looking for meat and not worried about a trophy). That made it an easy decision. If I did not have that thought in my head, I would have probably passed on this and may not have had another chance (I know others who hunted the same season and never got a single chance for a shot despite being out there just about every day).

Basically, have your mind made up when you leave the house as to what you are willing to take.

Default I guess you could say...

I got my "cherry" popped on Ft. Rich...

http://forums.bowsite.com/bstrophy/d...?trophyid=5533

Default Winter Hunt

You have been given lots of good advice When you come to Ft Rich for your orientation, we will give you the stats and maps and help out as best we can. Look forward to meeting you at the orientation. The snowshoes advice and add cold weather gear are probably the best advice

Default oreintation?

AK do you have any clue when the orientation will be? I have to bid for time off almost 1.5 months out, so the sooner i know when this is, the better the chances of me getting the time off!! Thanks for the help!

Default orientation

Usually sometime in the first week or two of December... Kind of depends on what the Ft. Rich guys have going on...

Call Dave Battle at 384-3909.

Are you military?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default TBLOOMA, still want that map???

I sent you an eamil, regarding the map & haven't gotten anything back from you...

Default Pray for snow...

....and lots of it. If you have a hard crusty snow it will be difficult but if you get nice fluffly new snow regularly during the season you should have no problem filling your tag if you get out of your truck and actually hunt.

Default When

You should be getting a letter during the month of november, there will be two dates to choose from on attending, but no doubt before Dec 15th. Dave in on leave right now but call him next week if you want