Thread: prop motor on dalton

Default prop motor on dalton

i have a 14 foot heavy duty jon boat that is reinforced with angle allumion 1/4 thick with a 25 hp evinrude on the back was wanting to know if it is possibly to take a prop motor on any of the rivers along the dalton is so what rivers where to put in at etc the boot is the heaviest jon boat i have ever seen and the strongest no flex in it with 3 adults 2 dogs and 3 hogs that were killed in ga last year still did 23 mph going upriver on the savannah any info would be helpfull

I have seen a lot of air boats on the hual road along with a few jets, no props.
    Last edited by AKBassking; 08-29-2007 at 11:05. Reason: spelling

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default not this year

I just talked to my brother 4 hours ago, he is up in Deadhorse right now. he has been hunting for a few days and said the water is extreamely low. The lowest anyone has seen in years. He talked to two guys who tried to take a 14ft flat bottom jon boat with a jet, up the sag, and for the first mile they were out of the boat more than they were in it. after hours of trying they gave up. also the hunting has been slow, they have had one stalk in two days. seen hardly any bou. trucker said there is a heard of about 3000 on the coast all bunched up and said it looks like they are getting ready to move.???? hope so. I be heading up fri morn. good luck, Harry

Quote Originally Posted by AKbowhunter View Post
    I just talked to my brother 4 hours ago, he is up in Deadhorse right now. he has been hunting for a few days and said the water is extreamely low. The lowest anyone has seen in years. He talked to two guys who tried to take a 14ft flat bottom jon boat with a jet, up the sag, and for the first mile they were out of the boat more than they were in it. after hours of trying they gave up.
    AKbowhunter, do you know where they lauched their boat from?? What part of the river were they attempting??

Default Just Got Back!

Just returned from a week on the Sag / Ivishak. As of two days ago there was NOTHING out their, and we ended up getting skunked. Were a few groups on the road around mile 22 and I did manage to miss one with my bow. There were a ton of them arround Toolik lake, which has much more stalkable terrain for the bow hunters. Wish I would have spent more of my trip down their instead of wasting it on the Ivishak......... Water levels were very low and we were not able to get as far up the river as we had hoped and we did get stuck plenty. I wouldn't even consider doing it with a prop, as much if not most of the time we were in less than a foot of water!

Elkwhisper

Forget the prop, even on high water years, a gravel bar will get you before you go a mile. The rivers up there are just too small and fast.

If you can get into the main flow of the Sag, and only bow hunt, you *might* be able to use a prop...but I would have plenty of spare parts and props. The traditional point to launch is at mile 50, and you could get your boat in the water. That said, it is a side channel and you won't make it to the main channel IMHO. Five miles north of the main launch is another launch that is in the main channel and you could probably get by better. I would go upstream. Farther south is a cement launch at IceCut...but the water is to low for a prop that far up the river. I did see a few Go-devils this year...the ONLY props I saw.
    We got back on Sunday, the 'bou were few and far between. You need to stop and glass each group of islands...look for black (velvet) antlers. Seemed like each island had a small bull at least. Most folks get in way to much of a hurry and miss what is in front of there eyes.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather