Thread: Need to Sight in My Rifle...

Default Need to Sight in My Rifle...

and I don't have time before my hunt. I am driving up to Fairbanks Friday afternoon and am scheduled to go out mid morning Saturday. I will have about a 2 hour window where I can go sight in early Saturday. Is there a range in Fairbanks that is open that early or will I be sighting in out in the field?
    I have some pretty hot 160g TSX loaded for my 7mag and don't want to miss again like I did last year at 350+ yards.

Default A 2 hr window...

Is plenty of time to sight in your rifle...begin with a 25yd bore site & go from there....

Just to clarify, I know that 2 hours is enough time to sight in I am just worried about finding a range in Fairbanks to do it. I'm pretty sure shots will be on paper I just don't think the POI will be the same with these the new loads I'm hunting with.

Default Cushman Range

Go south on Cushman till you hit dirt.......1/2 mile more is the North Star Range .......it will be open .......300 yard range
    Alaska

Excellent! That will work. Do they have target stands there?

Np target stands, but they do have plenty of benches. Just bring some targets and a roll of duct tape, you should be able to grab one of the many cardboard boxes left out there. I was just there and I could not believe the amount of boxes/targets. and there where over 15 ppl shootin' on the rifle range. about 5 in the handgun area, 2 of them with fully automatic rifles! I like that range alot more a month after hunting season

Jake

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    Is plenty of time to sight in your rifle...begin with a 25yd bore site & go from there....
    If you don't have a bore sight ...fuhgettaboutit. Just bring extra ammo of the cheap variety and shoot a close target first (like 10 feet), then work it out from there until at your desired range. Just shoot one shot per target position if you can get away with it ...quicker and cheaper than futzing around for perfection. Do that last. You should be able to double the distance with each move of the target ...more if you are hitting center pretty well. After you are at range, switch to your hunting ammo and check the zero. It'll likely need another adjustment (inch or two at most.)

Brian

Are you talking about a cursory sighting to ensure the scope hasn't shifted during the trip or are you talking about sighting in your rifle because you haven't done it this year? Huge difference. If just checking the zero after the trip, you may want to wait until you get to where you are going and take a couple of shots before get to your hunting site.
    If you just haven't shot your rifle and are just grabbing it to go hunting, it's a little late to dial in your loads. You are taking a serious chance that something is wrong with it, or your gun won't shoot the ammo you brought very well. You should be shooting that gun all year. It is not fair to any animal you shoot at and wound if you are not 100 percent sure your rifle is shooting true, especially at 350+ yards.
    The range in Fairbanks is a good range. If you are driving to Fairbanks, why don't you go to one of the ranges or somewhere in the evenings this week?
    As far as bore-sights go, get a laser bore-siter. They are excellent, and for less that $100.00, you can get one that will easily keep your scope aligned and can be carried in your pocket. None will tell you what the different ammo poi's will be, but it will be close.
    Good luck on your hunt. BTW, what are you going after?
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Default Sight in

You might consider Birchwood in Chugiak - it will be on your way out of Anchorage on the way to the Parks and is open to the general public til 6pm. Hopefully you have shot these loads before...sometimes UNFORESEEN gremlins creek into reloads esp during their first shootings!!! Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawken54 View Post
    Are you talking about a cursory sighting to ensure the scope hasn't shifted during the trip or are you talking about sighting in your rifle because you haven't done it this year? Huge difference. If just checking the zero after the trip, you may want to wait until you get to where you are going and take a couple of shots before get to your hunting site.
    If you just haven't shot your rifle and are just grabbing it to go hunting, it's a little late to dial in your loads. You are taking a serious chance that something is wrong with it, or your gun won't shoot the ammo you brought very well. You should be shooting that gun all year. It is not fair to any animal you shoot at and wound if you are not 100 percent sure your rifle is shooting true, especially at 350+ yards.
    The range in Fairbanks is a good range. If you are driving to Fairbanks, why don't you go to one of the ranges or somewhere in the evenings this week?
    As far as bore-sights go, get a laser bore-siter. They are excellent, and for less that $100.00, you can get one that will easily keep your scope aligned and can be carried in your pocket. None will tell you what the different ammo poi's will be, but it will be close.
    Good luck on your hunt. BTW, what are you going after?
    I didn't have the time nor did I think the forum wanted to hear the circumstances behind my lack of preparation for the hunt so here it is in a nutshell. I have shot my rifle quite a bit this year (Mostly reloads) so I'm not concerned about the scope (although it's kind of a crappy one) being off kilter. I know I will be on paper I just need to make a few minor adjustments just in case I have to make a long shot although I don't plan on making a 350+ shot. If the load is botched and very inconsistent I have a box of NP factories that will suffice.
    Unfortunately I have no time during the week to make it to Rabbit Creek. I am renovating my new home and am up against a October 1 deadline (Baby is due) to get it done. I spend every spare minute I have working on this place, this is why I have no time to spend at the range. I was very reluctant to even go on the hunt this year but it my Father-in-law's last moose hunt in Alaska so I have to go.
    Hopefully next year I will be more prepared.

Default Birchwood

Closes at 1730 these days....

I understand your predicament. Makes sense now. A lazer bore sighter will help you immensely at the longer ranges. It will get you very close even if you don't have time to dial the load in. The range in Fairbanks is down Cushman Ave. As you are driving down Airport Avenue from the Parks Highway, turn right on Cushman. Continue on Cushman and you will pass Van Horn Road. Keep going until you leave the blacktop. When you leave the blacktop, it is pretty rough, but the range is not too far on the gravel. It is on the left, and did have a sign, but with some of the knuckleheads out and about shooting up signs, the sign may or may not be there. Just take the first left after you cross the levee and it will lead you to the range. If you get there on Saturday, you may have a fairly open range, as most will already be out hunting.
    Good luck on your hunt.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???