Thread: Anyone in FBX have a S&W500 ...

Default Anyone in FBX have a S&W500 ...

...and is willing to meet somewhere so I can try shooting one before considering buying one? I'll buy the ammo. Shoot me a PM if you want. You can try my .480 Ruger ...I'll buy the ammo for that too (already have.)

Thanks,
    Brian
    Fairbanks area

Brian, sorry I can't help you (living in WV) but I too have both the 500 & a 480. The 500's recoil is definetly more stout than the 480, but not at all objectionable. I can shoot it 40 or 50 times before getting any fatigue. That is probably as much from the weight as the recoil, lol......There is a BIG difference in an animals reaction to being hit with the 500 over the 480. Hope this helps.
    Old Cowboys never die, they just keep riding the Range.

Quote Originally Posted by WVCowboy View Post
    Brian, sorry I can't help you (living in WV) but I too have both the 500 & a 480. The 500's recoil is definetly more stout than the 480, but not at all objectionable. I can shoot it 40 or 50 times before getting any fatigue. That is probably as much from the weight as the recoil, lol......There is a BIG difference in an animals reaction to being hit with the 500 over the 480. Hope this helps.
    Thanks. It helps. Unless I see a pretty good deal on a used one, I probably
    won't make the move. For now, I am going to learn how to reload this winter sometime (already built the bench) and see how far I can take the .480. Paul H. has lead the way in this regard and is offering advice for me. Should be fun.

Brian

PS: Each store that I've asked has claimed to sell a lot of 500's around here (Fairbanks) but I guess none of those folks read this forum or don't want to go shooting. I might invite my dentist to the range ...he's got one and he's half my size. Ok ...I'm a bit of a fatty ...The wife and I only have to buy one pillow that way (mine). Saves money.

Reloading the 480, will surely help, it still won't equal the 500, but should be more than adequate for most purposes. Myself, I would be happy with it.
    Old Cowboys never die, they just keep riding the Range.