Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How's the Sheep Shape training going?

Smile How's the Sheep Shape training going?

Hey all you Sheep hunters! Let's spur each other on! How's the training going? What are your goals? How good of shape are you in so far? You only have 5 weeks left if you're going early like we are. I've been nursing a bum knee for 3 months. Meniscus they say. Never had a problem before but it acted up while jogging last April, cut my ski season short too! But I'm up to hiking up and down hills with a 75lb pack, biking 20 miles a day 2 or three days a week, throwing in some squats or deadlifts and upper body also. Knee feels pretty good. My goal is to be packing 100lbs+ by August 1. It would be alot easier if I were 20 years younger!

My buddy and I drew DS203 so I may never get this chance again. Can you tell I'm excited?!? Somebody pinch me, I must be dreaming!!!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I'm trying to mountain bike 100 miles per week, up from 50 to 60 miles per week during the late winter/early spring. Not too many hikes yet, but the biking has really improved my wind and leg strength. Need to do more hiking to get my new boots broken in. By the time I get back and recover from a late July/early August 10 day backpacking and scouting trip I should be good to go for my late August hunt. I'm already in far better shape than I have been in for any previous hunt which is a nice feeling.

Thumbs up sheep shape

today i ran, not jogged, 4.4 miles. i have been doing this 5-6 times per week. i also swam 3/4 mile and did a good ab workout. i expect to repeat the same workout for the 4th of july.

terrible the way work gets in the way of my workouts though. nevertheless, i am now down under a 33" waist and have lost 12 lbs. since i started. i have the last hunt and i will be ready.

good luck.

Default First Sheep Hunt

Going to be doing my first sheep hunt in early August. Don't know if I'm in good enough shape yet or not. Been hiking 5+ miles 3 times/week with 100 pounds, plus steep mountain trails 1-2 times/week with about 40 pounds, then squats and rowing on my bowflex a couple times/week. Lost 30 pounds since April. I guess we'll see if it's enough!!!

Red face conditioning

blackfoot;

from my exerience, i have concluded that whatever shape you are in, it is never enough and can always be better. heart and desire are very important as well.

Smile

80-90lbs pack, 3-6 mile mountian trails every other day.

MD

Default Cycling Class

I go to cycling class at the gym 4 days a week and hit it for 1 hour

i talked with my outfitter today. prospects are shapely up nicely.

i am heading out now to pound the pavement again.

Default sheep training...

I've been running 3 miles every other day for two months. I'm getting ready to start the stairs/incline thing now and will be increasingly adding weight in a backpack towards the opener.
    Even with all the prep work its still physically draining getting in there, it gets easier as one hunts, imho.

Oh yeah, bought quality insoles today for the boots, the athletes foot makes some excellent ones. They are spendy--but worth it!

Frank

Thumbs up Nice job

Sounds like lungs are puffin, quads are burnin and backs are aching!! I think I can smell the testosterone from here!!

It seems there's nothing that gets you into shape for hiking with a heavy pack better than... hiking with a heavy pack. Especially on hills in rough terrain. You start to feel your ankles and muscles in your feet, calves and other places that you forgot (or never know) you had. It's like running on a treadmill and then running for real. Big difference.

Insoles are a must as far as I'm concerned. I use them in my street shoes, downhill ski boots and hiking boots, everything. When you haul 100lbs plus you gotta have a firm foundation for them feet.

Now... shutdown the computer get to packin!! Times a wastin!!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Isn't round a shape??

Talking Every Thing Hurts

My feet my ass my back MYMYMY got it? Drew DS204 down 40 lbs! Hey what's that hanging out from under my gut??? Never mind! FEEL GREAT! Walking 1 hour per day Gym 1 hour per day 200 lbs on my shoulders every other day. Will be hitting lazy mountain the last 3 weeks as much as possible. Any other valley mountain trails? Good luck ALL!!!!
    Louie

Smile Lol!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45
    Isn't round a shape??

LOL... It is if your'e a tire! Or if you have one...

LOL.........i was just kidding of course! I've been doing sit ups for the last 2-3 weeks before i go to work and started running 3 miles a day. I'll be jumping on the eliptical and start riding my bike starting next week with occasional hikes up baldy with a full pack and pounding the weights as well.

Default Sheep Shape

I try to stay in reasonable shape year-round. In the winter I go to the gym 4-5 times a week during my lunch hour. Alternate upper body work-out with exercise bike. I substituted the bike for treadmill running this year because I hurt my back and the treadmill was higher impact. I found by spring my legs were stronger than years I've done the treadmill. Once summer hits I abandon the gym for outdoor stuff, hiking, mt. biking, etc. starting around mid-april I use my lunch hour to climb the stairwell in the office building I work at. It's 20 floors to the top. I carry a 50 lb water jug in my pack and climb to the top, ride the elevator down (saves on the knees) and repeat. I'm up to 6 round trips now. I try to do this 2-3 times per week. (Boy do Iget some strange looks in the elevator). By the time August rolls around I'm about as ready as I'll ever be.

Smile Knees & arms & getting off trail

On the theory that nothing prepares ligaments and tendons for accelerated, weightbearing loading better than tromping up and down mountains with a pack on, I'm up to ~35lbs (mostly water) in the pack, plus a gallon of water carried by hand.

I figure 8lbs of water approximates my loaded rifle pretty closely. And I was surprised how tough it was to lug that around by the end of my hike for the first 6 or 8 trips. Sheesh! More pushups and chinups for me next winter!

Weeknights I just toss the load on and book it up the trail 25 minutes, then back down. On weekends I try to go up more than an hour, then dump 1-2 gallons of the water in my pack and head down.

Having little kids makes full-day hikes tougher, but the weekend trip I gain and lose 14-1600 ft. of elevation. Should help me get up and down the goat mountains 3 weeks and 3 days from now. (But who's counting?)

Last weekend I stepped off the trail for a while. That was several hundred vertical feet of refresher course. Up and down the steep, slick slopes of these southeast mountains with a pack on sure ain't the same as up and down a well-maintained trail with good switchbacks. I'm going to have to hike off-trail some more before August 1 rolls around. Call it 'skills development.'

Default Mental aspect

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 Mauser
    Last weekend I stepped off the trail for a while. That was several hundred vertical feet of refresher course. Up and down the steep, slick slopes of these southeast mountains with a pack on sure ain't the same as up and down a well-maintained trail with good switchbacks. I'm going to have to hike off-trail some more before August 1 rolls around. Call it 'skills development.'
    This is real good advice. It really makes a difference doesn't it. Where I hike it's mostly trail but one area of fairly steep terrain with loose rock, shale, etc. More like sheep country. With a heavy pack it's an eyeopener and reminder.

There is also the mental aspect. Some days when I am real tired and would normaly have a day of rest I hit it hard. Takes more mental drive to make the body perform. At dark, tired, in the rain with a pack loaded with sheep and climbing out of a valley I think this type of training/conditioning can help.

Default training

i think cross training is the way to go.

weight/strength training, cardio- jogging/stairclimber/biking/hiking/swimming and mixing up your routine.

i just got back from the boardwalk and i knocked 2 minutes off my fastest 4.5 mile time. things are coming together.

i spoke with my outfitter yesterday, plenty of ig sheep in the park and i will try to take one home with me.

i have the area wide permit for the third hunt. i have now drawn a tag 2 times in the last 5 drawings. not bad for a guy with no luck.

Default Sheep Training

I stay pretty quiet on this forum but I enjoy the reading. I'm heading up there for a sheep hunt in early Sept. I've done a walk in Chugach sheep hunt once before so I know a little about what I'm in for but this area looks more rugged than last time and I'm trying to get as ready as I can. I'll be guided so I'm not training for any 100 lb pack weights. At 150lb, an 85 lb pack is about my limit so I have tremendous respect for anyone who hunts solo and comes out heavy! I hate the gym or any sort of running that dosen't involve a ball so I train by hiking with my pack on the weekends. I found a really nice training aid that works great for me. It's a weighted vest that can hold 40 lb of flexible weight packets. I've been wearing it at work for about 4 hours per day for a couple of months and it works great. I'm on my feet all day and it really helps build strength without "working out". I do a little stair work with it also and I like the idea of riding the elevator back down to save the knees. I used it for my last hunt with good success. These vests are easy to find on the web from fitness equipment companies. Also, I have found the neoprene knee supports very helpful for both training and hunting. I think it is important to train in ways that limit the chances for injuries. I don't want to go up there nicked up from training.

Default Hiking downhill

Hiking downhill with weight uses your muscles differently. Yes, it is harder on the knees but I think you/we still need to do it. For training just go slower. Using a hiking pole or poles can help too.

Hopefully we will be coming off the mountain (downhill) heavy! We need to be trained up for it. Not so much if you have a guide. He should be doing most of the packin.

Today will be a hot one for hiking. It's 80 above in Fairbanks. Not complaining though!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast