Thread: Fishing Limit Clarification

Default Fishing Limit Clarification

If I am fishing Valdez Saltwater is the limit 6 per day/12 in possession? Just wanted to be clear.

Default Depends on what you call Valdez waters.

Fairmount to Rocky point north is 6/12. Inside of the bays north of that (Saw Mill, Jack, Galena is 3/6. Inside of the actualy port, past the Narrows is 6/12 for silvers. An EO was psuhed through several weeks ago on pinks, 12/24.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

The location part is clear, what I am not clear about is what happens if you catch your limit of 6/12, then go to either pick up your shrimp pots in one of the bays, or head south to fish for halibut. Would you get a ticket for having 6/12 silvers on boat if you were not fishing for silvers in an area that only allowed 3/6. My other concern is I might go into one of the bays to camp for the night, well if I have 6/12 silvers with me, am I toast? I am not wanting to cheat the system, I just don't want to get nailed by attempting to apply common sense that a game warden might not think is correct.

Default Gray

Welcome to the GRAY areas of the Hunting and Fishing part of the regulations in Alaska.

Default Thanks

Thanks Dave for clearing that up.

Default Hey

Hey I wish I knew, but who is going to interpet that one. Some of the laws are left to the interpetation of the officer. Like cutting up halibut. Unless there is a GPS tracking device on every boat, how would anyone know who is fishing where and what they caught unless seen by the officer. Like I said "Gray" area.

Default seward is similar

In Seward, you can catch and keep six silvers inside the bay, but only 3 outside the bay. And you can't keep ling cod inside the bay, but can keep 1 or 2 from outside the bay (depending where outside the bay). This creates a combination, as I recall from another thread on this, whereby there is no legal way you can have 6 silvers and any lingcod in possession. Because, if you have a ling in possession you can't fish AT ALL inside the bay, and I guess if you have your six fish limit of silvers inside the bay you can't fish outside the bay, because you are over limit out there (apparently regardless species). In sum, it seems you can't FISH in an area in which you currently have a possession limit of a species which is over the possession limit for that area (though of course you can legally be transporting them through or across the area).

It is confusing when you mix the species, and a call to ADFG might clear it up for the specific area you're in.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Default Hey, I was Serious

Hey Dave,
    I wasn't giving you a hard time I was serious........Thanks!

Well I went ahead and called the ADF&G. I spoke with a very nice lady who said if you had 12 Silvers that you caught in the terminal area and you drove to an area that was outside of the terminal area, you would be in violation, even if it was to camp or pick up shrimp pots. Doesn't really pass the common sense rule, but I can see how it might make it easier for the F&G wardens to do their job.

Default Ok then

OK then. I am in a 6 area limit and the wife has to go pee. If I go into a 3 limit area to beach the boat for her..... ah heck.....I'd be in violation with F&G, probably the EPA and/or the wife so it just would not matter.

I think it would be a mess. You could be renting the Jack Bay cabin (limit 3) and fishing the Narrows (6) and you could not legally return to the cabin after fishing. Got to love it. ;D

Thanks for checking!

One would like to think there would be some common sense applied... The gal told me I should wait and catch the remaining fish on the way back to dock. I asked her if she could guarentee they would still be biting. She laughted and said she saw my point... I don't know why I am concerned, when I fish, well, lets just say it is a guy enjoying the environment and the fish are safe. LOL

Dave, Where is the Jack Bay Cabin, what does it run, and who do you need to see about renting it? We are planning on some boat camping, but my wife is not much of the outdoors type. She might prefer a cabin. My boat is a gas hog, so I'd rather remain out where the fishing is.

OK, A quick internet search and I found it. Have you ever stayed there? Any words of wisdom? Is there a place to dock the boat? Thanks, Rob

Default Cabins / camp sites

Jack Bay cabin: All the way to the rear on the south shore.
    Shoup Bay Cabins: Just inside on the left also one up the creek straight back in.
    Camping: Jack Bay - small islland on the left as you go in, back NE corner of island has a tent platform. There are also 2 camp sites on the point east of the island but I have never seen them.
    Saw Mill Bay has a tent platform turn left to your ten o'clock position as you enter, bear container on shore.

Probably all rented but if you keep track sometimes there is a cancellation.

Thanks Dave!

Default Kinda like lings outside Resurrection Bay

As long as you didn't fish for anything (except maybe shrimp) in the 3/6 area, I doubt you could be cited just for camping with 12 fish on board. You can transit areas that are closed to the type fish you have on board, like if you catch lings outside Res Bay. Nothing says you can't transit, or camp. But the regs in that instance are clear - you can't fish for anything at all inside Res Bay if you have lings on board!

This is just my opinion, and based on logic, so I may be right out.