Thread: Advice on a good boat for us?

Wink Advice on a good boat for us?

My boyfriend and I are looking for a good boat to go exploring PWS... and possibly Seward and Homer.

Normally only 2 of us going out... 4 people max. Boat would need to sleep two. We like fishing for salmon and halibut and shrimping. We expect to duck into a cove whenever in threat of very bad weather. We'd want to go out far enough to get halibut... doesn't have to be BIG halibut.

Any thoughts of a good boat for us? Pros and cons of aluminum vs fiberglass? What size/model would be good? What size motor? Someone mentioned a 16 foot C-dory but we're worried it's too small with regard to safety. Any thoughts?

Also... are they any good classes or books that would help us? We're both boat savy... unfortunately rivers and lakes are what we're used to but we can't resist the sound.

All advice you have would be VERY appreciated. Thanks,

Susan and David

Heres an entire thread for the aluminum vs. glass debate: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=16565

You have a lot of questions packed into this post. In all honesty I would recommend reading through the threads in this sub-forum because a lot have been answered. Use of the search engine would be beneficial as well. If you want to sacrifice fishing deck area for creature comforts look into Bayliner. If you want to sacrifice creature comforts for fishing desk space look into just about everything else

Tell you what. Go to boats.com, yachtworld.com, or boattrader.com and look at the pictures and specs. You can narrow your search to boats in the 22-26 foot range because I'm guessing thats around what you need. Find something that looks like it would suit your needs. Find half a dozen different makes and models in your price range. Then look at the anchorage craigslist, ADN classifieds, etc. You will narrow things down by a huge margin and then will be able to ask specific questions.

You and your S/O should go down to the docks at Seward, Whittier, and or Homer and find a boat you like and ask a lot of questions. Boaters love to talk, especiallyu about their boats. Watch the boats run and out of the harbor and see what seems to run the smoothest.
    Good luck in your choice and remember the closer you buy a boat to spring time in Alaska the more you will pay for it.
    Don't forget, unless you plan on getting a slip for the boat you will also need a beefy truck to haul it and launch it. Most people who tow bigger boats do so with diesel trucks.
    Tennessee

If you are interested in C-Dory boats you should visit http://www.c-brats.com lots of great photos, stories, and reveiws. Heck even if you don't care for C-Dory boats I think you'll enjoy it. Heath

Thanks for all your replies... I'll check out the link and we're gonna start hanging out at the docks.

Not to knock c-dories, as they are beautiful boats, well layed out and built well, but they are flat bottom hulls. The advantage of a flat bottom is they are very efficient, ie minimal amount of power required for their size. The downside is they pound in chop, and I doubt you'll ever find a day free from chop. Hence a semi-v or v bottom hull will be much more comfortable.

For a couple occasionally taking out friends, a Hewes searunner 220 would be a pretty good setup. Of if you guys are handy with tools and like to build stuff, you can't beat a Tolman skiff

Default Suggestions

I would highly recommend taking the USCG Boater Safety Class. I've been a boater for many years but decided to refresh my skills so my son and I took the class last fall. Lots of great information and a perfect forum for asking questions and having the oppurtunity to talk with experts about any subject that you might have an interest in-all done in a "no question too dumb to ask format". Also a great place to talk with other boaters about thier experiences. It was amazing to me how much knowlege some of the folks TAKING the class had.
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

Thanks everyone... your input is invaluable!