Thread: .22 or .17

Default .22 or .17

I need to buy a little rimfire for small game hunting. I was going to go with good ole 10/22 but I keep hearing about the new .17 cal. Does anybody have any experience with the new .17 mach 2 or the HMR? I'll mainly be trying for head shots but I don't want to waste too much meat if the shot is not perfect. Thanks

Default small bores

hot 22's are are about the same as the mach 2, they'll both work for head shots but the 22's will be much cheaper and there's a better selection of ammo.

I tried the .17 HMR for grouse. The imperfect shot shreds them. That bullet is fast and shatters at any twig between you and your bird.

I gave the .17 to my brother in Tok so he can shoot foxes and etc., and I'm back to the .22. CZ American.

Quote Originally Posted by thunder chicken1 View Post
    hot 22's are are about the same as the mach 2, they'll both work for head shots but the 22's will be much cheaper and there's a better selection of ammo.
    Second that too! .22 ammo is dirt cheap compared to the .17.

Default .22

I have a Savage .17 HMR and the 10/22. I'll say the .17 is a better shooter but the ammo is more expensive. A box of 50 runs about $10. It is still cheap if you compare it to a box of .338, but the .22 has stood the test of time and is a good shooter as well. With the 10/22 you can get many upgraded parts to suite your needs. I'd go with the .22 for small game.

Default have used both

I have used the 10/22 for most of my life and now have the .17hmr. The .22 is cheaper and is perfect for grouse and rabbits. The .17 is deadly accurate, but if you don't hit the head, you won't have any meat left! My second oldest daugther loves shooting the .17 and is very good at head shots. I would stay with the old standby .22 and have fun! If you want the challenge of some longer shots, use the .17.

Thumbs up Mach 2

I went threw the same ordeal and here is my conclusion. I like the .17 mach II. Im not 100 percent sure but right now the only Mach II ammo options out there are CCI or Hornady and Im pretty sure they only make balistic tips and hollow points.They still tear up meat pretty bad unless you head shoot your game. There is a third option though and it is the reason I small game hunt with the .17 Mach II. Aguilla ammunition made a round called the .17 aguilla. It will shoot through a .17 mach II. The cool thing about it is they offer a full metal jacked bullet that does not tear up meat. Sighted in dead on at 50 yards Im only hitting about half an inch low at 100 yards with it. Its perfect for small game hunting because it mushrooms out enough on impact to kill the animal but does not blow up meat like the hollow point ammo or the balistic tips. Another cool thing about it is its pretty **** quiet. It gives off a little softer report than a .22 long rifle. I like that cus if there is more than one rabbit or ptarmigan you can shoot one and the others are not as apt to run away at the sound of the rifle.

I bought a Marlin model 917 chambered in .17 mach II. Its bolt action and has a free floating bull barrel. I was pretty impressed with that being I only paid 199.00 for the gun. The only complaints I had about it was the Marlin T-900 trigger system is not that smooth. Its a pretty heavy trigger pull and there is a bit of travel, however if you replace the spring in trigger system with the spring of a pilot tecniclick mechanical pencil it gives the trigger a pretty smooth pull and reduces the weight of the trigger pull to 2.5 pounds. I thought that was a pretty neat trick. There is a ton of other options out there I can tell you about if you want to Private Message me. I hope I was helpfull. Good luck in your choice.

if your worried about noise use your .22 with subsonic loads. I like the CCI subsonic loads. I would buy the .22 if it was for small game hunting only. But I know of many experienced fur hunters who use the .22 exclusivly at night because it doesent ever make an exit hole. Heck ive night hunted some yotes and foxes up here and the .22 is my choice as well. I like the 45 gr solid points for shooting coyotes and foxes. But I also like my ccI stingers for small game hunting. Virtually no meat loss and it puts them down.

Default thanks

Thanks for the advice. I ended up buying a 10/22. I wanted the longer range of the .17 but after all factors the .22 made the most since. Now, if I can just figure out where to go and find someone to go with I'll be fine.

Good choice on the 10/22. And for most small game, e.g. rabbits and grouse, I wouldn't bother buying the extra high velocity stuff and I'd avoid the hollow points ...copper plated round nose will save more meat for you and work just fine.

Brian

Default 10 22

I converted my 10 22 to a 17hm2. I used a carbon barrel and all match grade parts. It cost about 200 for the 10 22 and about a grand in aftermarket parts. Then I bought a 22 as I no longer had one. I think it was a good way to go.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

Just wanted to add that I use a savage 17hmr for all my small game. CCI does make a FMJ that does not expand or tear up meat, but with my gun it wont print as good of a group as the hornady. 3 shots covered by a quarter at 165 yards. Its my absolute favorite rifle and with the hornady bullets the terminal performance is DEVASTATING on small game. The first coyote I shot with it was DRT at 97 yards!
    You know you aren't really having fun until you ask yourself -how much is this going to cost me?

Quote Originally Posted by bnkwnto View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I ended up buying a 10/22. I wanted the longer range of the .17 but after all factors the .22 made the most since. Now, if I can just figure out where to go and find someone to go with I'll be fine.

Drop me a PM I'd be happy to go. BTW I too have used the 10/22 for years and love it!

Default Hard to beat the .22

Like the 30.06, it is a versatile, and time-tested caliber that has taken game since your great grandfather's day. It is cheap to plink with and many are the rifles you can buy that shoot that humble bullet.

I too shoot a 10/22. It was made in 1976 and is the bi-centenial model. I have a cheap Tasco scope mounted on it and routinely kill rabbits and sometimes spruce chickens with it. You can swap magazines faster than you can reload one, and there are beaucou numbers of acessories to customize them

The 10/22 used to be my gun of choice for ptarmigan too, because I would always lose the spring-loaded magazine rods out of my old Glenfield .22 when snowmachininging under branches. Unfortunately there are few ptarmigan on the peninsula because of the $*&^%$#@ overpowered, noisy as hell, hill climbing snowmachines that have destroyed their habitat. How I hate them!

There. Done with my rant.

Sayak

My back yard is Chugach state park no snow machines and lots of ptarmigan as long as you don't mind hiking strait up. I use the 10/22 in late fall/ early winter then switch to a shot gun, hope to trade a truck caper for a 20 or 28 gage side by side, the 12 is a little too much

Just shot my first animal with the .17 Mach 2. It was a snow hair and it blew the things back completely off. From here on out if Im hunting with my Mach 2 Im only shooting .17 Aguila Solid point ammo through it, otherwise its just a waste of meat.