Thread: Flashlight Power question

Default Flashlight Power question

I been kicking around the idea of buying one of those nice small Surefire flashlights. The one I like is rated at 60 lumens.
    How does this compare to a maglight that holds 3-4 d cell batteries?
    Tennessee

Here's a chart I found interesting.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/fea...chart_manu.htm

Surefire flashlights are rediculously bright. Its like having a Q beam w/o the bulk or weight. But make sure you have extra batteries since they dont use standard batteries some places they are hard to locate, and a spare bulb would be good to have too incase you drop it when it is hot.

Default batteries

surefire is the only way to go,i have the E2E model that has 60 lumes.it is super bright and is the only flashlight i use.batteries are not cheap,i use mine for hunting and around the house and a box of 12 last me all year.i just bought a new box of 12 from surefire off there web page and they are $21.00 +shipping that is $1.75 each,this is a steal when you compare them to the cr125 in most stores.hope this helps.

It's not just the brightness, but the quality of the light - the surefire beam has none of those rings or dark spots that the mag light will have.

They are also making LED heads now that give you much longer life and are pretty surprising in brightness.

These are not the LED's like you'll find in a Tikka headlamp or a cheap department store "LED" flashlight. A friend had a new headlamp on a sheep hunt that featured one of these high powered multi-watt LEDs. We compared it to my surefire with the high output bulb (120 lumens if I remember right) and they were surprisingly close...and his will run for a heck of a lot longer than the 20 minutes mine will!

You should be look into the G2 nitrolon model, which is basically the same as the 6P but with a kind of rubberized body. I've seen them locally in fairbanks for like $35...heck of a deal - why not get a few and put one in every car, every pack, in the house etc....lithium batteries stay good for 10 years and when needed these are indispensible!). That's what I would recommend - all the benefits of a surefire flashlight for a good price.

Like huntingak said, I too always carry an extra set or two of batteries and a spare lamp assembly. (wouldn't carry the lamp if I had the LED version)

Flashlights are like knives and guns to some people - you can never have too many! Check out the candlepower forum sometime.

Thanks folks. I just picked up a couple of the Surefires. One is the L4Lumamax and the other is there outdoor model. Both are Led's and I should never have to replace the bulbs. Even with extra batteries they are a good deal lighter and smaller than the mag lites. Every ounce helps when you carry them or fly in on a hunt.
    Tennessee

Snowwolfe, I have and use the Surefire lights. The best place I have found for the lithium batteries is at Northern Security on the Old Sewad north of Tudor.
    These batteries have a shelf life of 10 years, but only last an hour or so of continual use, so extras are a must.
    I also have some Surefire rechargables and some Streamlight Stingers and Ultra Stingers. Expensive, but worth their weight in gold in the pure dark up here. The only problem with rechargables is the time they take to recharge, and the inability to recharge if on a hunt away from a generator or plug.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???