Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anchorage airport question

Talking Anchorage airport question

We are flying through Anchorage on Friday night. Arrive at 10:30 p.m., depart for Prudhoe Bay at 6:00 a.m. on Saturday. My question is - would you guys just crash at the airport while waiting for your flight or would you get a hotel? If a hotel, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Default airport

If it was me I would crash at the airport. Hotels are expensive up here if you can even get one, also if you go outside of security and downstairs you can get the benche without the armrests making it more comfortable. I work there so I know. Also getting in at ten thirthy or could end up being later than that then you need to be back by 4 - 4:30 to make your fight. You would be paying for a hotel for maybe 4 hours. You would get more time to sleep at the airport when not having to travel to and from the airport. Lots of people also also set up camp on the floor depending on what you are bringing, like pads or sleeping bags. If you come in and have stuff in your check baggage just see them at baggage claim and they can get you bags for you to have for the night and re check in the morning.

Eric

If it was me with the short amount of time you have between flights and the cost of rooms in this town, I would grab a burger and beer and find a place to crash at the airport.

For some reason "Crash" isn't the word i would use here, but yes the hotels are quite expensive.

Default Hotel

Spend $60, 5-6 hrs in the hotel beats the heck out of sleeping on the aiport floor.

Thumbs up Airport!

That's a short amount of time, scope out the place when you arrive an dhunker down. I've settled in a few (not Anchorage); here are a few things to consider...
    1. Stay away from the security area, twice I was kept awake in the early morning when they were testing the machines...beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep...yup, it works!
    2. They open the coffee joints up at like 3:30-4:00 am...they are not real considerate of the campers in the area.
    3. Try to find a place where you can shut off the lights or have something to cover your eyeballs...slept with sunglasses one time.
    4. Watch out for restroom traffic and stay away!
    5. Corners are comfy but if you hear a zipper open...look out, you could be in for an early morning shower!

You should be fine, pack something comfy in your carryon and you will be glad you didn't leave and return a few hours later.

-Buck

Airport all the way!!!!! save your money...
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Airport

Ditto!!!!!

Default Airport

I've got more time than money.

Stay at the airport!

Assuming you land in Anchorage at 10:30 you can expect around a 15-30 minute delay for baggage to deliver.

-10-20 minute cab ride to hotel.

-10 minutes for check-in.

-Expect to sit on your bed around 12:30am, if everything goes as planned.

I'm with Blink.. grab some grub and couple beers and find a quiet gate to rest for a couple hours.

I flew in to ANC about 0030. I had to catch the train the next morning. The train station didn't open till 0600. I just slept on the floor at ANC. So did several other people. They make some kind of announcent every hour so you can track time. Do not leave your bags unattended!

The museum area upstairs has a few nice benches as is normally quiter than a lot of areas in the airport.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep Hunter View Post
    Spend $60, 5-6 hrs in the hotel beats the heck out of sleeping on the aiport floor.
    The chances of finding a hotel close to the airport (or anywhere in Anchorage) for $60 are as good as seeing a polar bear floating on an ice berg in the Knik Arm.

Also bear in mind your flight will probably be late arriving in Anchorage cutting short your time for sleep. Crash in the airport.

Default Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by Shoot2Kill View Post
    The chances of finding a hotel close to the airport (or anywhere in Anchorage) for $60 are as good as seeing a polar bear floating on an ice berg in the Knik Arm.
    That's odd. I travel through ANC frquently, the Best Western on Spenard is about 5 minutes away with their shuttle.

Default Best Western

$181 for Friday night. Stay at the airport.

Doesn't the Spenard Motel rent by the hour???

I would take cab to the Great Alaska Bush Company and kill a few hours and waste a lot of $1 bills
    Tennessee

Default Best idea yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    I would take cab to the Great Alaska Bush Company and kill a few hours and waste a lot of $1 bills
    Close it out and head back to the airport just in time for check-in.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast