Thread: hare dogs

Default hare dogs

am interested in running dogs in fbks and delta area for hare anyone have luck expierence with this currently stationed in georgia/iraq but coming back sept 08 when enlistment is up have connections to get a pack of beagles i know delta is loaded with hares just wandering if mabe to many scents to track

Default hare's

there so fat and slow a 22 and snowshoes is all you need but you can run them with beagles but due to the deep snow maybe you might want a breed with longer legs?

I Run a beagle here in Anchorage. He is 16" tall wich is on the tall side for a beagle. It the snow gets too deep, the running is bad. He has a hard time wading through it, and the rabbits blaze ahead of him too fast to keep track of them. Also on very cold days like in the negatives, the scenting is not good.

And yes, sometimes too many hares with beagles is not a good thing. I think several times mine has switched trails to differnt rabbits, and that makes getting in position a hard thing to do.

Dang, im gonna go rabbit hunting today! Been awhile since I had him out. Ill post pics.

Default ???????

where do you hunt for hares ???

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    I Run a beagle here in Anchorage. He is 16" tall wich is on the tall side for a beagle. It the snow gets too deep, the running is bad. He has a hard time wading through it, and the rabbits blaze ahead of him too fast to keep track of them. Also on very cold days like in the negatives, the scenting is not good.

And yes, sometimes too many hares with beagles is not a good thing. I think several times mine has switched trails to differnt rabbits, and that makes getting in position a hard thing to do.

Dang, im gonna go rabbit hunting today! Been awhile since I had him out. Ill post pics.
    You know anyone by any chance who breeds the mini beagles?

Default where to hunt

Quote Originally Posted by lucky_boy View Post
    where do you hunt for hares ???

outside and in the woods from time to time

Default reply

i figured if i got out of my garage id see a lot more of them

I have a beagle. He is so spoiled, I would have to chase the rabbits for him.........
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Quote Originally Posted by Hawken54 View Post
    I have a beagle. He is so spoiled, I would have to chase the rabbits for him.........
    I want one.

Default Beagles are not good housepets! Nor companion dogs

Let me add something about beagles....

They are a running, , barking , hunting dog. They dont do anything else. You cant take one fishing, or hiking. They just constantly hunt. Good solid hunting beagles anyway.

They will follow you around some. but when they hit that scent, they are gone, and unless your sticking with him, you will lose him. I have seen some beagles that arent hunters, just show pets and such, and they dont seem to have that attitude though, but they wont run a rabbit.

I have a GSP, she will listen and heel up good, and ignore about hunting if that isnt what we are doing. Labs that I have seen are the same way.

So keep that in mind, if you get a hunting beagle chances are that will be all he does. You gotta be a hard core rabbit hunter to want to keep a beagle.

And about the companion thing, dont get me wrong, my beagle is freindly, cuddles, plays at home. But in the woods he ignores all, except hunting, wether we are doing it or not. This makes it hard to excercise him, wich means I have to get him in the woods often.

Default Beagles as housepets

I have to disagree about beagles not being good house pets. The key is training them from birth to stay with you and/or come to your call. You are absolutely right about them following their nose. They were bred to follow that extraordinary nose of theirs. My beagle is no different.
    One thing about them, tho, is they are a breed that takes a lot of time to train, and you cannot just let them hang around and get lazy. They are active dogs, and if you get one or more, you must take the time to run them regularly.
    Beagles are one of the most even-tempered and docile breeds of dogs you can have. They are wonderful with kids and are very loyal.

Now, the down side. They are hounds, and they do shed. They are smelly if you don't keep them clean, as they have oily skin that has a musky odor, and they snore like the dickens. Every one I have ever had will snore. Male or female, it doesn't matter. They are barking machines, and no amount of shock collar use or punishment will deter this from happening. And, they LOVE to roll in stinky stuff and bring it back to share with you and/or your couch.

I have had or been around beagles my entire life. I have never met a mean one. All are almost hyper, but that is in their genes.
    Granted, if you raise one as a house pet, you will only have a mediocre rabbit dog. But, they are still very good at it, as it is what they were bred to do.
    The biggest problem up here in Alaska is there are things in the woods that will eat them, so it really isn't the best place to run beagles. Once they get on a trail, their entire focus is chasing whatever it is until they catch it. Once out of earshot, all you can do is sit and wait for them to return, sometimes not until the next day, if that.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Default I was going to get a beagle and found this breed

she is in my avatar. The breed is a german jagd terrier. They don't bark in the house, for the most part. Door bell accasionally. They are fierce and will hunt every thing. I had her on black bear this spring. Tracked a moose last fall. And now she found the rabbits. Does good with them just need to get her out of town. Look them you will be impressed. I take her on my boat fishing, hunting or anything. She only barks when on a fresh scent or sees the animal. Great house dogs, but turn into hunting freaks outside.