Thread: Just Returned From Haul Road

Default Just Returned From Haul Road

i got home about 5am today. for most part good trip. buddy arrowed a mid size bou (his first bou with bow) about 1-1/2 miles east of boat launch @ mile 50.
    had wheel come off boat trailer.....bolts came out....recovered tire and 3 of 5 bolts.....some dumby did not tighten lug bolts well enough......that would be me.
    i have never seen it so hot for so long and water so low and tundra so dry....easier to walk thou. got cool 2 nights bugs were less after that
    really saw very few caribou. maybe 20 -30 total
    they seemed to be at ice cut area (3-4 nice bulls just across and within 1/2 mile up stream) then 4-5 miles down stream is valley that group with raft camped there they got 3, another guy got 1 ( see story below, canoe)and we watched two others arrow a real small bull. we had ran jet boat from happy valley. they floated in small raft and stopped couple hundred yards below us. we had been watching area for 45 minutes or so. they had small....very small bou come out of brush close to them and guy made a shot and it travelled 40-50 yards. toward end of their hunt and took a meat bull.
    ice cut boat launch very nice and is open. met group there from calif. grandpa and 14 yr old grand son took canoe down from there. made it thru alot of pretty nasty rapids......appearently arrowed bou and loaded it then dumped their canoe. where they dumped it was no where near as bad as where they had gone thru before. both made it to shore but lost canoe, rifle, two bows and pack plus most of meat. so if any honest bowhunters find any of their stuff PM me and i have their info. so their gear can be returned to them. we ran that strech of river for 2 days, hunting and did not see any of their stuff. ANY ONE FLOATING THAT AREA ( ICE CUT TO HAPPY VALLEY ) PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL, I WOULD NOT TAKE CANOE DOWN THAT STRECH RAFTS ARE FINE. IF BOTH FOLKS IN CANOE ARE EXPERIENCED IN CANOEING FAST WHITE WATER IT WOULD BE OK OR PLAN TO WALK AROUND NUMEROUS AREAS.
    they were lucky it was fairly warm as it was foggy and grampa decided not to try to walk out and get turned around but they had a very VERY cold miserable night as it was. no way to start fire, no compass. reinforces that folks should carry survival kit on them so if something like this happens they can still have survival gear with them. could have been alot worse. i took the grandpa ( my age) down and we located the canoe and i hauled it out with my jet boat to happy valley.
    seems to be alot more tropper coverage on haul road this trip. which is good.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

FEW PHOTOS
    ALMOST THERE- TOOLIK PULL OUT

SUNSET AT MILE 50

ROGER 45 'S FIRST BOW KILLED BOU

RAFTERS , SMALL RAFT, ARROWED VERY SMALL BOU 200 YARDS DOWN STREAM FROM US.
    Last edited by AK NIMROD; 08-28-2007 at 10:03. Reason: TRY TO ADD PICTURES NOT LINKS
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

COUPLE MORE
    MUSK OX WITH IN 20 YARDS- SURE WISH I HAD A PERMIT GOOD FOR THIS ONE.

BIG MAC FROM PARKS ON WAY HOME
    Last edited by AK NIMROD; 08-28-2007 at 10:08. Reason: ADDING SECOND PHOTO

Nice pics. Were you at the Princess Lodge when you took the pic of Mt. Mckinley?

Default nice, very nice

Very good photo of your friend with his caribou. Good taste, nice, nice "story". I really like the one of the rafters. From that angle looks like they are in really big water in a very small boat.

mia /pow memorial for big mac picture
    i thought it was pretty small raft and went down and offered to haul their meat to boat launch but they seemed to think they had plenty of room for the small bull, which it probably was but if they shot a second bou that could be a problem...raft was seylor hunt fish probably 14 footer???? small but not as small as i thought from distance.
    this photoshows un zoomed veiw- really looks small now, they shot the caribou just around point on left where gravel shows again

my toy jet boat

Default You Picked A fine time

You Picked A fine time to leave me loose wheel!!!!! I know the feeling, friends should not let friends tighten the lugs nuts while drinking (driving of course). Glad you had a safe trip and great info.

Steve