Thread: Lost Horse

Default Lost Horse

Does anyone know who lost a black horse in the Wrangles near the Canadian border?

Default Lost horse

No, but posting on this forum is prob one of the best ways of finding the rightful owner. There are several outfits that run horses in the Wrangles although the Overly's (?sp) operation may be the best known....in addition to individual private owners.

depending on where it was found. I know the Ellis's out of nebesna run horses for there clients. They are usually in th vicinity of horseveldt (sp)

Default Horses

The Ellis outfitt is fair piece away from there as far as horse rides are concerned. Dave Dixon used to operate just over the border in the Yukon in the Beaver Creek drainage and Dick Peterson, aka wrangellmountainoutfitters.com , took over Ray McNutt's area out of Horsefeld. To the south you'll find Urban Rahoi
    at Ptarmigan Lake and the Vaden's over at Solo Creek. Any visible brands on
    it? Bells, halter, hobbles ? The State of Alaska does not, or used to not, recognize brands, but the Canadians do. If it's " missing" someone is looking for it. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it unless you are the guy that is supposed to be wrangling the horses every morning. Been there, done that.

Default dixson

I used to guide up in that country and yea Dave Dixon still operates on the border (Canadian side) he will be in the woods now but I will try to contact his wife and find out if they have lost any I know when I worked for him we lost a couple up that way. What about Terry Overly does anyone know if he is still up there??

Yes, Overly is still guiding out of Chisana, but his area does not extend to the border. More likely to be Dick Peterson's, Vaden's or Rahoi's horse. I thought horses knew how to get home on their own!

Default Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait 1 View Post
    Does anyone know who lost a black horse in the Wrangles near the Canadian border?
    Well, with a name like "Bearbait 1", I have to ask... is this horse still mobile, or is it... ah... being used for other purposes?

Let us know how it turns out. Either way....

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default You guys have it narrowed down!

Surely has to one of Dixon's, Rahoi's, Peterson's, Vaden's, or Overly's. Not sure if Overly is over that far though. Probably one of the first four. Those horses are usually pretty good at finding their way home. I'll have a friend call Rahoi and see if he is missing one.

It has a double 6 brand. Yes it is still mobile and very friendly. Old sign in the area indicates the horse has been there for some time.