Thread: Moose calling

Default Moose calling

When do you guys start calling? How far into the season? Would calling around September 1st be too soon still?

Default Never is too soon...

I've stopped bulls here in the middle of August, & in the dead of winter...after I've spotted them of course, but not while I am looking for them, on Sep. first I did call one in, using a cow call, so I don't think there's a "too early" time. Brush raking might be too early in September 1st, but not cow calls, or bull grunts.

Default I disagree

with the brush raking comment but with this caveat; brush raking won't necessarily attract bulls but it will pique curiosity that another moose might be in the area. Bachelor groups are forming now and sometimes the velvet scraping that is starting to happen could accidentaly call in a paddle or bigger for play fights or rough housing. The advice given by my senior hunters is that spikes don't usually try to dual anything out but occassionally get dumb and try it sometimes so they will probably be off the menu. As far as cow calls go, I've been out with some good callers looking directly at a bull looking at us calling and then he just turns around and walks off... which is what some of wish we had done when listening to our women too, I think. I think that everyone can agree that cow calls at the end of season are the ticket.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Default Robb...

Let me defend my statement that brush raking "might be too early" sept. 1st...it's because, & I know it's different everywhere around the state, Sept. 1st, they still aren't going prerut. Prerut signifies the rubbing off the velvet. Which can range anywhere, around here, a week or two AFTER first frost, & that's usually sept. 1st...1st week of Sept. all the bulls around here still have velvet on them & no rubs...

Thumbs up 9th Sep 2006

Matt

Used a Cow one time last year after I heard him answer then switched too Young Bull call and Brush ............to bring him in!
    Alaska

I was hunting last week. Made a bunch of racket in the brush and then was walking about 100 yards away when I heard a grunt. Looked up and two bulls were walking through the trees. Ended up shooting one of them as he stood 20 yards from where I had made the racket just looking around. Mind you both were in full velvet. Also had witnessed a bull following a cow around on the same hunt.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!