Thread: Silvers report for outside Petersburg

Default Silvers report for outside Petersburg

Couldnt find them. Last week we were in Wrangel Narrows, Blind Slough, Duncan Canal, Castle Island River and Mitchells Creek. The Silvers started to show some signs of being around at the Blind Slough and we caught one. Other than the stragellers they were not around. We were pretty bummed but just the way it works out sometimes. We arrived on the 18th at Island Point Lodge and they told us it hadnt rained for two weeks causing the Silver run to be very weak. Halibut fishing was great. i will be writing a quick write up on the week at Island Point Lodge shortly, post some picks too!

Default Really?

I keep hearing about how slow the silver fishing has been in Petersburg and I just can't believe it. Yesterday I was watching people just haul the cohos in left and right out at the slough. Also I know people that fished Mitchell and Duncan creek last week and did really well. I also went up Petersburg creek for about an hour yesterday morning and picked up 2 real quick. One was about 14 lbs a real pig, short and fat. I think there are plenty of fish around it just seems that they aren't making themselves very visible.

Default Wish we had a couple

It was tough, last Thursday was our last day there and ended in rain so maybe the rain helped the last couple days. I know a couple people in our group were desperate to find coho's and paid a charter...$400 later they had two fish for the day. We gave up and went after Halibut for the rest of the week. Next time I think we will go for June and July for the Kings and Sockeye.

P-Town Creek is always a hot spot this time of the year. If your guide didnt take you up there, you must never forgive him. There are definitly some monsters up there.

Well, I can't say I am a fan of hearing this as I will be heading to Petersburg this Wednesday and heading out to Castle flats Thursday....Guess we are going to have to work to get the silvers....

Default if it doenst work out...

The Halibut were hitting hard out that way... once you get by the annoying dog fish.

Default I know the spot

I think you should have some decent luck in the Castle Area. The hardest part about castle is that it's a big river so fish just show up and keep going so finding them at the mouth is hit or miss. I wouldn't get to discouraged. Also Brian, I know the halibut spot you're talking about, if you make it back there I tried constantly jigging and it kept the dog fish off and I was able to catch plenty of halibut. Grobarek, how are you getting to Castle Flats? will you have transportation once you're at the cabin?

Talking

Akboater- Not sure what all we are doing, my brother is arranging everything...he lives in Petersburg and he took care of the float to and from there as well as what we are doing there.. I can let ya know when I get there..I am not too worried about the fishing, should be good fun, just may have to work a little harder...

Default Showing up

Well I wouldn't worry too much it seems that the cohos have started to show up. Yesterday my girlfriend and her dad went out for an hour and caught their limits. They had a fish every cast. I love Castle River, it's one of my favorite places. I don't know about all your plans but Duck season opens saturday and Castle Flats gets a load of ducks and geese. Might be worth looking at.

Default Could you help-Please

Long time reader- first time poster! I really have appreciated everyones post on the Alaska Forums. I will be arriving at GreenRock near Petersburg on Sept. 1. Does anyone know much about the camp location and how close the "good fishing" is to this particular camp? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Default About 200 yrds

Well Green Rocks Lodge is about a 2 minute boat ride in either direction from 2 of the best coho streams in Petersburg. It should also only be about 20 min to a half hour from some decent halibut fishing. I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't catch a coho from the beach at Green Rocks. I've never been to the actual lodge but it looks nice from the water and they have a really great beach. I don't mean to play thread hog on here but I wait for threads to pop up about SE AK. Most of this stuff is all up north and I can't really do anything but read and enjoy.

Thank you for your reply. I am excited about being able to fish Alaska for the first time and maybe again someday.

Default not this year for me

Thanks for the info about P-burg and Caste River. This time last year, I had just returned home from a week fishing for silvers. The locals told us the silvers were late and thin, but we found some and had a great time. At that time, I could'nt find any info about this area, so we caveman-ed our way, and had a great time. Next year for sure.

Sometimes it is nothing more than switching tackle. I have noted this with silvers in Seward and in Juneau. What had worked for years all of the sudden goes dry. Toss on a different lure or setup, and your back in the fish.

Default I agree

That's the truth SM. I've been at a creek mouth watching silvers swim in circles and not even turn their head at my favorite silver lure. Then I switch to something I almost never use and first cast. Fish On.