Thread: Best small game hunting/wilderness experience in Alaska?

Default Best small game hunting/wilderness experience in Alaska?

Myself and a couple of friends are planning a two month hunting trip to Alaska.

We are from Norway and mostly have experience with upland hunting (ptarmigan) and Elk hunting (Norwegian moose), but have always dreamed of experiencing the 'real' thing. We believe Alaska is the place

Our wishes are as follows;
    • It has to be as remote as possible as we dont want to meet (many) other hunters or japanese tourists.
    • We would like to stay fairly put, by a lake or river, but dont mind hiking either. Preferably by or below the tree line.
    • Small game (birds & hare) is the most important, but if possible I wouldn't mind bagging a deer. We don't want to travel across the world for mediocre hunting (we can get that at home) so this is maybe the most important point for us.
    • Beautiful scenery

So my questions are;
    • What region in Alaska would you recommend?
    • What season would you recomend? (From what I've read on your hunting season, spring or autumn. But which is better in your opinion?
    • Is it really true that the abundance of game is exaggerated to make the rest of us jealous?
    • I've heard that you can't drink the water (untreated) in Alaska. Is that really true?
    • Do we need a guide for deer-hunting?
    • I'm bringing a double-barrel shotgun (Rizzini) and a .22 - Is that enough bear-protection? (If i use slugs in the shotgun)
    • Honestly: Should we be considering Canada also? (This might be like swearing in church, but I'm curious what your opinions are on the comparison )

We dont mind travelling far (at whatever cost) to get to any tucked away places you might suggest and we are used to being self-sustained so don't feel forced to suggest touristy places.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice, however small.

Kind regards,
    Alex

Here are a few thoughts - I'll probably add to this later.

Quote Originally Posted by jegeren_alex View Post
    [*]What season would you recomend? (From what I've read on your hunting season, spring or autumn. But which is better in your opinion?
    Autumn. Spring is really only good for bear hunting. Some small game hunting is not open in the spring, and the hunting is typically better in the autumn. September would be my preferred month.

[*]Is it really true that the abundance of game is exaggerated to make the rest of us jealous?
    It is true that it is exaggerated, though I don't know if the reason is to inspire jealousy. Northern ecosystems are by nature less productive, and many of our larger animals have higher caloric needs, thus fewer can be supported by a given area of land. Small game can be found in high numbers, but that is dependant on population cycles in some cases.

[*]I've heard that you can't drink the water (untreated) in Alaska. Is that really true?
    Mostly true. If it is running directly off the side of a mountain then you'll probably be fine, but it is wise to either filter or boil all water. I use an MSR Miniworks filter, and it is really not too much of a hassle. Giardia can be the unpleasant result of drinking untreated water.

[*]Do we need a guide for deer-hunting?
    Yes. All non-resident aliens need a guide for big game hunting. (On a side note, there will likely not be deer where you end up hunting, unless you hunt on the islands of Southeast Alaska, Kodiak Island, or Prince William Sound. There may be moose or caribou, but again you would need a guide.)

[*]I'm bringing a double-barrel shotgun (Rizzini) and a .22 - Is that enough bear-protection? (If i use slugs in the shotgun)
    A 12 gauge shotgun with slugs would be fine.

Default oh.. and fishing

I almost forgot: Fishing is also a big part of the equation.

We'd love to be near a lake or river with a decent trout/salmon population.

Here in Norway that is pretty much always the case for any body of water that is over 200 meters above sea-level, but are there any areas in Alaska that are much better for fishing than others?

So to summarize; We want great small game hunting, good fishing, beautiful scenery and remoteness

Which part of the state should we be aiming for? (Pardon my complete ignorance, it's such a huge place and I cant seem to find any definitive sources)

Brian, thanks for your reply!

-Alex
    Last edited by jegeren_alex; 08-28-2007 at 01:59. Reason: typo