Thread: Hello

Default Hello

I just found this group and I am really glad to see an Alaskan Gundog Forum. I have a 7 month old pointing lab and we are having a ball. I've had her on quail, chukar and mallards, Just waiting for the pheasant to grow up. We will be trying duck hunting which is something I haven't done in Alaska, so we will poking around trying to find where to go. I live in Wasilla (Settler's Bay) and enjoy talking dogs. We are planning on hunt tests next summer, but mostly just having fun!

Welcome aboard - The forum is brand new.

Default Welcome

Howdy. Glad to see another finding out about the forum.
    I live not too far from you. Once hunting season is over maybe we can focus your pups training for next years hunt test. There is lots of training that can be done during the winter. Lots of drills that you can see and learn that will build your confidence as a handler and educate your dog to work with you.
    Happy Hunting

Default Pointing lab

Where's your pointing lab out of? I've got a two year old that I really enjoy out of Tiger Mtn, although he is challenging at times. He just retrieved a bird for my 11 year old tonight. One of the greatest challenges I find for upland training is quality birds. Good luck with your pup.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wetland, I have passed your place several times this summer. I also saw you at the JH test a couple of weeks ago. That’s when I noticed the web address and checked it out. Nice presentation and I like what you have to offer. I am using Julie Knutson's book and have been to one of her seminars in Colorado last month. It is a challenge trying to bring two disciplines forward together, the pointing and retrieving. I raise a few game birds and have access to land at Point McKenzie which helps a lot. I train with my son who finished a Junior Hunter with his 8 month old GSP who also has 11 points towards his Show CH. We both are following different programs, but it is fun to work together. I will be interested in available training opportunities this coming winter. My plan is try and get through JH and CD with picking up most of the SR. It is ambitious but possible. I have raised and trained dogs many years ago in a different life, English Springers and American Water Spaniels, but decided to go a bit different direction this time and got a pointing lab. It has been an interesting journey, and one that I have really enjoyed this time around. I don't have deadlines, but some goals to work toward. Scout has exceeded my expectations so far, we'll see how it goes. This past week we put it all together with a couple of quail, pointed flushed, shot and retrieved to hand.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    Where's your pointing lab out of? I've got a two year old that I really enjoy out of Tiger Mtn, although he is challenging at times. He just retrieved a bird for my 11 year old tonight. One of the greatest challenges I find for upland training is quality birds. Good luck with your pup.
    Who is the dam and sire? Scout is out of Cactus Jack and a Cattail Corky *****. I got her from Hunter's Point Kennels working with Danny Allen. What color is he? Glad to hear there are others around.

Default Pointing Lab

I too have a pointing lab (my 2nd). She is chocolate and out of Black Forest Kennels. It's a small world. I have talked with Julie Knutson several times, super friendly and a top-notch resource. Wonderful, wonderful dogs.

She knows duck opener is just around the corner, not too sure who is more excited.

Default Sire / Dam

Both dogs are owned by Tiger Mtn. The sire is My Ship Has Come In "Doc" and the dam is Benelli's Legacy "Nelli." My dog is a ym about 72-75 lbs and all go. He is my first dog so we are learning together as we go. I wish I had the ability to bring him to his potential, but we still manage to find and kill a few birds. He marks well and continues to improve on his handling skills. Our weak point is the upland side of things, but that's my deficiency not his. We try to train, at least a little, every day and most days succeed.

I agree Julie Knutson is a great resource. I've exchanged emails with her several times. She has always taken the time to answer and give good advice. I've got both her old and new book. Her seminar must have been awesome.

gsc - I'm from Wasilla also. HuntingFool are you in the area too? If either of you guys ever need someone to throw bumpers or shoot flyers let me know. My training mentor just moved out of the area so I'm looking for a regular training partner / group. Good to know others are here in the area.
    Last edited by Roscoe; 08-28-2007 at 09:25. Reason: add pic

HuntinFool, who is she out of? I've become a bit of a pedigree hound of late and like to see what is being produced when possible. Roscoe, I think there are more out there. My son talked to a laborer on a construction site last week who also has one and I have talked to a couple of others. There is one who is active in the Arctic Bird Dog Assoc. My son is a member I went to one of their training days. We almost have enough for a club/hunt test or something!!!

I really lucked out and had to be in Denver on business the week of the seminar and got to go. Didn't have Scout with me, but it was really interesting. I actually was the first to get her new book, they had just arrived two days before the seminar and she let me take mine with me. Read it on the way home, and now I'm going through it to capture the training level I am at.

Here is a link to a picture of her a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.americanpointinglab.com/s...4/Default.aspx

Default Anchorage

Was born and raised in the Valley. Live in Anchorage now but will be back out in Wasilla in just a couple of months. Always up for meeting dog enthusiasts that love to get in the field and put them to work.

My first pointing lab was tragically killed in an attempted burglary when she had just hit two years of age. She was absolutely phenomenal. My 2nd dog now has the same parents but I'm finding her to be much more difficult to train as she has no where near the same maturity level at the same age.

Here is a photo of my first dog, on one of her last hunts. We regularly get out for ptarmigan, and this was an absolute stellar season. We would snowmachine in to get away from folks and then I'd hop on the skis chasing the dog and flocks around.

My dogs are smaller, weighing in at 52-54 lbs, but like most labs, have a heart and desire that defies their size.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Great photo

Haha, that's a great photo GSC...I love that little kink in the tail, looks mighty familiar.

She's out of Black Forest Kennels. Pappa is BJ and momma is Lucy. Her pedigree is very impressive going back, some very heavily hunted and titled folks. While my parents use to live in the kennel in Colorado the parents are now in Texas as Black Forest has spawned a couple of smaller kennels to help house and train the dogs.

I never saw the kennel in Texas, but the set-up at the main kennel in Colorado blew me away. Those dogs have it better than most of us.

From my experience working with a pointing lab. You have to educate them between the difference of running marks and upland hunting.
    But even then that bred in instinct can and will take over.
    Here is an idea of what I'm talking about. Teaching a pointing lab is no different in training than working with another pointer. Both are taught to use there nose to find game and then taught to "Whoa" when they pick up the scent trail and come close. Both are taught to retrieve the birds on command.
    You have to teach them the difference between upland hunting and retrieving marks. In training you need to teach both sides equally or you will have trained out the pointing. Fetch and Whoa need to be nailed down perfect.
    Teaching a pointing lab in some ways is easier. I teach sit to flush to regular labs. Where pointing labs slow down instinctively when winding the bird. You just need to tweek the training a little where that trait works for us instead of against us.

I too would love to get together with some training groups. It's nice when I don't have to use the mechanical throwers.

Default Training Group

I'm all for getting together with a group since my training mentor left the area. We still get together some when she gets back into civilization though. Now is kinda a busy time of year, we hope to put a moose in the freezer in the next week and then it is time to duck hunt, but I'm willing to throw marks or whatever. Just let me know.

Default Training Sessions

Wetland, I appreciate your perspective as a pro trainer and would not presume to suggest any how to's. I don't know if you are acquainted with the Knutson's. Julie has trained and finished over 50 Grand Master Pointing Labs and literally hundreds of Advanced, Intermediate and Certified pointing Retrievers. She has I believe seen most of the current bloodlines. Her experience is that if you let the point develop in the dog with plenty of live birds, especially during the first year or so and while you work on the Retriever stuff, the advanced work takes a bit of a back seat to the upland work. She does very little whoa training, letting the natural instincts of the dogs work themselves out. I am working Scout with at least weekly experience on live birds. I've been working quail up until now, but the chukar are finally ready to fly and the quail are just about gone. We also work most days on obedience, sit, heal, here, and have started the whoa command as an obedience in place of stand for the OB ring. I don't plan to use it in the upland field this year. Julie says, especially with the bloodlines I have, they should just run and we wait. She points, but only on scent, not visual. When she catches the scent, she points only long enough until she can locate the bird visually and they she is after them. We may in the end have to steady with whoa, but we'll see how it plays out. With the daily yard work we work a few marks as well and will finish off a session with a few happy bumpers for a good finish. My plan is to start force fetch in September. I have done a few simple doubles with her and she is much smarter and quicker then I am and I think she will be way ahead of me going forward with the retriever work.

There are other philosophy's out there and there have been others sucessful with more traditional pointer training. It leads to some lively discussion on the PL forums.

I would enjoy throwing for you, just let me when, and if I'm available, I'll toss a few for you. Thanks for the invite, that goes for you others out there too. My phone no. is 357-7055, my name is Greg Christensen. Great forum.