Thread: My back up is ready:)

Default My back up is ready:)

I use a Ruger Redhawk 4" barrel with a 320gr WLNGC CastPerformance bullet in front of 21.1gr H110 for my back up carry when hunting. Here is my Revolver and Load and target from my final testing. I am standing free hand at 25yds and the target is a 6 shot group measuring 1". Yes! I think my load is ready.

The little holes are some body's rifle holes, I ran out of targets and used theirs.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Dandy! I'd use that load for hunting, too.

Single action or double?

Hope I never need it but if I do it should do fine. It is all the recoil I want with a 4" barrel and it carries really nice in my Mernickle conceal carry and cross draw holster.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I love your Redhawk! It looks great and is what I want to build. Still trying to decide between a Redhawk or Blackhawk. That is a very impressive shot group from a 44 being fired offhand. I need to get out and practice! Where did you have the smith work done at?

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    I love your Redhawk! It looks great and is what I want to build. Still trying to decide between a Redhawk or Blackhawk. That is a very impressive shot group from a 44 being fired offhand. I need to get out and practice! Where did you have the smith work done at?
    No place, no smith work, just right out of the box. It is the New Redhawk and you can find it on the Ruger sight. I went with it instead of a single action back hawk because I can fire it faster just using my trigger finger and not my thumb and trigger finger. It is stronger than the single action and can handle longer bullets.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Cool Sweetness!

Very nice rig and extremely good shooting! Yesterday a buddy and me went to the Ducks Unlimited Great Outdoors Festival in Oshkosh, WI. I shot a Ruger Alaskan in .375 Ruger (which was nice, BTW) and he shot a revolver just like yours.

I've been eyeing them up since they introduced them. It would have been hard to pass one up if it was available when I got my S&W Mountain Gun last year. I really like the strength of the Ruger and the ability to take the heaviest, longest bullets.

You've got quite a nice arsenal there BT! Of course, I'm sure you're not showing all your cards either!

Dave

P.S.- Once again BT, you didn't disappoint with the new avatar and especially the siggy pic. Cool.
    Last edited by AKWannabe; 08-27-2007 at 13:42. Reason: Added ps

Thanks for the comment on the picture. Yes! I really, really, do like the Ruger Redhawk. It is just plain business, handles well, carries well in my Mernickle holster, easy to shoot and load for, has a strong look and built tough with no unseen surprises.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Beartooth:

"free hand at 25yds and the target is a 6 shot group measuring 1".

Yeah, shure. Tell another one before that one gets cold.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Beartooth:

"free hand at 25yds and the target is a 6 shot group measuring 1".

Yeah, shure. Tell another one before that one gets cold.

Smitty of the North
    The target is for real and I have not told something or claimed something that is not true. The range master can let you know that it is what it is. I have shot many groups like this over the years and he has witnessed many such times as have those in my shooting club. I have shot comp all my life and so has my brother. I am sorry that you do not believe it but that does not change the fact that it is so and if you had the skills or practice to gain them then you would understand the possiblity for some of us who do this. You have a blessed day.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

That's some fine shooting if you ask me. I've never shot any handgun well enough to put 6 rounds in a 1" pattern at 25 yds. No wonder you shot competitively.

Brian

Bear tooth bought the same gun about a month ago and like it a lot. In fact just ordered the same bullets this morning. Unfortunatly I don't think I can hit 6 in 1" at 25 yards maybe 1 in 25" at 6 yards. Just kidding enjoy the gun and good shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun53 View Post
    Bear tooth bought the same gun about a month ago and like it a lot. In fact just ordered the same bullets this morning. Unfortunatly I don't think I can hit 6 in 1" at 25 yards maybe 1 in 25" at 6 yards. Just kidding enjoy the gun and good shooting.
    Hey, what bullets did you buy and what loads are you going to try. My Powder was H110 21.1grs and Star brass and CCI 350 mag revolver primers with the 320gr Cast Prefomance WLNGC.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by tananaBrian View Post
    That's some fine shooting if you ask me. I've never shot any handgun well enough to put 6 rounds in a 1" pattern at 25 yds. No wonder you shot competitively.

Brian
    Thank you, Yes, I have shot groups like this and on ocassion got real lucky and had these kind of groups back to back. I knew it was going to be a good group when the first four were touching and then the fifth one went through the middle of the group and I was getting concerned about the sixth one and that is the one I pulled. If I had not pulled that one then I would have had my best group ever with a 44mag. Well, maybe next time, there is always a chance as long as I am breathing.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

As I said Bear Tooth I just ordered the same bullet and was planning on using some H-110 since I have some already. Is the load you have posted at Max or could one work up from there. If memory serves me you are at max or close to it. Will probably start a little lower and work my way up. By the way same primers also. Maybe I'll get groups like that. If only I didn't shake like a dog s#&@ ing tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun53 View Post
    As I said Bear Tooth I just ordered the same bullet and was planning on using some H-110 since I have some already. Is the load you have posted at Max or could one work up from there. If memory serves me you are at max or close to it. Will probably start a little lower and work my way up. By the way same primers also. Maybe I'll get groups like that. If only I didn't shake like a dog s#&@ ing tacks.
    Start at 19grs and work up half grain at a time and I found 22grs being all I wanted but accuracy for me was found at 21.1 for my revolver. Yes, shaking will effect a group but I am sure you will shoot from a bench to see. I always shoot my back up standing free hand because that lets me know what I really have and if I am in the ball park because that is how I will have to shoot in the field. You are ordering a great bullet and if you do any penetration testing it will astound you on how deep it will go through stuff. Later, have fun and let me know how it goes. You can PM me so I will know how you are doing with the load.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS