Thread: Outboard Conversion

Default Outboard Conversion

Has anyone converted an inboard to an outboard?

I searched the forum and found some recommendations for an Armstrong Bracket and checked out their website. I'm thinking of purchasing an older bowpicker and putting new engines on it.

I was just wondering how much it would cost to get an inboard out and the transom sealed up. Would it be any harder to do with a aluminum hull versus fiberglass? I know the transom may need reinforced to handle the stress.

Thanks for any info!

I haven't done that personally, but will add some things to consider in undertaking such a project. You'll be moving a signifigant amount of weight aft in the boat, and that will affect the boats balance, perhaps dangerously so.

A transom not designed for the weight and stress of o/b's will be need to be strengthened to take those loads, hence adding more weight aft.

Such a project is a signifigant undertaking both in $ and time. Unless you know what you're doing, or have a naval architect/engineer that can review and approve of such a re-design I would recomend starying well away from such a project.

Having built a boat myself, I'll say there are alot of ways to take up your time and money in boat projects, and you are well warned to think long and hard before undertaking such a project to be sure the end result is really what you are after. Another way of saying that is there are alot of ways to just get out on the water, make sure what you end up with is comensurate with what you'll have to pay. Project boats have a way of taking way more time and money than originally anticipated, and the result is often that something in much better shape could have been purchased and a whole lot of grief and several boating seasons not lost.

Although I have no clue how to do it, my first and only chartered fishing trip was this summer was on a coverted boat out of Klowack, POW. The boat was fiberglass and the skipper's the one who had a converter do the job. It had an extended (?) aluminum transom out behind the regular transom with two Hondas, one 150-ish HP and a 10 HP kicker. The converter put in two big gas tanks where the old power plant used to be. The boat had a nice enclosed fiberglass cabin that looked like it was part of the conversion (?). The front windsheild was angled backwards like a regular boat vs. a forward angled windsheild like the other aluminum boats at the dock. It didn't have windsheild wiper either, so rain pretty much blocked the view when it was coming down. Also, it looked like someone painted the whole thing grey with black flecks. All in all a very clean looking boat. I don't know if it rode better or was quieter than anything else cuz I've never been in a similar type of boat. Just guessing, but it appeared to be an older Bayliner-trophy type boat that was converted. I'd be curious if the whole thing was less than buying a new boat.

Being a newby to offshore boats I was more interested in the conversion than halibut and rock cod. I bugged the skipper with more questions about the boat than how to mooch.

Thanks for the advice and info.

A friend of mine did an I/O to outboard conversion to an older fiberglass bayliner. He mounted the outboard on a transom bracket to distribute the weight and stress on the transom. He bolted on a 1/2" aluminum plate to cover the hole in the transom from where the outdrive was, sealed with 5200. The engine compartment was converted to a storage area.

PM me if you would like to talk specifics. I can get you my friend's phone number.

Search this forum for the following thread 460 Jet Mileage suggestions About half way down you'll see a post from a gentleman who converted his ALMAR. He is obviously very skilled and did a very nice job. I never did hear back from him. I was interested in the conversion because I also think it is one of those projects not to be taken lightly, but his looked like a very good job. Good Luck
    1989 24' Custom Almar, 460 3-stage SS Kodiak jet

That did look like a nice job.

Thanks again for the words of caution Paul H, it is certainly not something I would dream of undertaking without help from a professional. Still just tossing ideas around for boats right now.

Default OutBoard conversion

I am currently in the process of converting an IO to outboards on a project boat I bought this past spring. If would like to talk let me know I can give you my reasons for the conversion and what I have learned so far.

Brian