Thread: Boykin spaniels

Default Boykin spaniels

I have run across just about every breed of dog up here in AK. I have yet to see a boykin. Anybody hunting with a boykin? I am looking for information about how they handle the cold water and how they are around the house. It is about time for me to get a new dog and was looking for something new.

Any suggestions on breeds. I am up for anything but labs. I've been around enough labs and am looking for something a bit different.

Default Best dog EVER!!!!

I grew up with a Boykin. He lived 13 years. He had bad eyes so we never got him into hunting, but his instincts were awesome. My family owned a lodge in SW AK as a kid and we couldn't keep our dog from swimming after the ducks and geese in the lake or barking critters up trees. He loved diving for fish too. My family sold the lodge and moved and the dog went with them as I went away to school and his fun went from ducks and geese to turtles, squirrels, and gophers. One of my best friends has a female and she's an awesome dog as well. He's not a bird hunter so she's a house dog, but their temperment, loyalty and multi-use potential is unmatched by any other breed I've come across. They'll always look you in the eye when you're talking. I could go on and on, but they are awesome. Get in touch with the Boykin Society and they are super helpful with finding a good breeder. My dad became good friends with some of the folks there when he got our second Boykin a few years ago, "Kenai."

Good Luck!

Default boykins

I have a friend in Montana who has several (I think 6 Boykins). He hunts all kinds of birds with them, from huns, pheasants and sharptails in Montana to quail in Arizona. He does some waterfowl hunting with them as well. Their size is a little limiting for waterfowl but they make up for it in spirit and determination. He is into the national competitive hunt organizations and has done very well with them there.

It is a sight to see when 5 or 6 Boykins are buzzing around the brush in Arizona and quail are running and flying every which way!

The Boykin has Chessapeake blood in them somewhere down the line, as you know they are fine water dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    The Boykin has Chessapeake blood in them somewhere down the line, as you know they are fine water dogs.
    It is my understanding that they are a blend of Chesapeake, Golden and Springer bloodlines...not a bad combo if you ask me!

Typically they are small, 30-40 lbs. The one I had as a kid was not typical as he tipped the scales at 57# and was very long legged. The one my family has now, and the one our friend has, both fall into the breed standard and I agree with Burke that they'd have a hard time dragging a goose or something similarly sized to shore. Although, you would never know by the way they try. You'll never hear them complain.

Default boykins

I have been reading alot on the net about the Boykins. But it usually comes from someone who is trying to sell them. They seem like a great dog. I am concearned about it getting too cold for them here in AK. I live in SE but there will still be plenty of cold days. Thanks all for the info.

Default Fine in Anchorage

I live and grew up in Anchorage and our dog LOVED playing in the snow. The have a good coat that sheds water nicely so they rarely get soaked to the bone from any snow/slush. I wouldn't leave 'em out at -10, but the winters in SC seemed to be handled just fine by ours.