Thread: Broadhead sharpening

Default Broadhead sharpening

I am new to archery and am having difficulties getting my broadheads sharp enough. I have G5 Montec 100's and they are shooting great. I have been using my Diamond flat stone that one of the local knife shops said felt like about 300 grit. While there, I bought a flat ceramic stone of about 1000 grit.

I have tried running the broadheads in all different directions with different amounts of pressure and I just can't seem to get them razor sharp like they need to be. What am I missing? Everything I have read makes it sound like they are so easy to sharpen. I don't have anywhere near this much trouble with my knives.

Default broadheads

i bought the actual g5 stone and it works really good. It says to take a marker and mark on the area to be sharpened. Run the broadhead left to right on the rough side until all of the marker is gone then flip to another side. You gotta make sure that the blade is making full contact with the stone or it wont sharpen right.

You can also take a piece of glass (coffee tables work great for this), and tape down some automotive sand paper and work it down in stages......Works very well but hard to carry in the woods . The finer the grit, the finer the polish, the sharper it'll be!!!

Once you get the flat side down edges ground till the marker is totally gone, flip and do the next two. Keep rotating through the grits. You want to end up running either on your ceramic or some super fine paper basically just pushing the bh over it, not pushing down at all doing one pass per side. You're decreasing the amount of pressure and amount of passes per side as you get finer and finer till you hit the 1 pass almost no pressure. Basically every grit you re raise a finer and finer burr, when you get to the super fine grits, that burr becomes smaller and smaller to the point you don't want to have a burr in the end, just polish the edges and nock the final burr off (like using a strop), and viola, super razor sharp. Be patient you'll get it!

Just an idea. Ever notice how a cut from a scalpel or something really sharp is easy to get to stop bleeding when applying pressure. The super sharp cut is clean, and thus clots easier, it also wont' bleed as much as a nasty cut. I shoot bear razors, swear by them and they have been the best cutting broadhead I have ever used. The trick to them is to take a rat-tail file and run it backwards over the blade. I don't sharpen my blades, i make them jagged. I still get complete pass throughs on larger animals but the blood trails are fantastic. The cut isn't clean and doesn't close up or clot easily, letting the blood pump out. I dont want a clean cut like a razor, I want to cause trauma that won't stop.

One pass on each side with a file and broadheads are ultra "sharp" Don't get your fingers around them, they will cut you faster than a honed edge blade, only this time, it will bleed a lot more and be harder to stop.

The old debate about serrated vs scalpel sharp lives on as it will for many years to come.

Hill has a great method to create this edge, file sharpening then going over it backwards with the edge of a file to create the 'serrated' edge on a already sharp knife.

I still and always will shoot scalpel sharp. I want things to burst when touched, not tear when pulled on. If you can get those serrated edges sharp they're definatly nice. I can't so I'll stick with what has worked for the past 17 years.

Valdez, Alaska

Default I agree

I agree with TradBow. Putting a burr on an edge and depending on the burr to do the work is just not right. If the burr falls off, what is left to cut with. I'd rather have a scalpel edge too. A good quality edge is one you can depend on to cut. It may take some time to accomplish as most edges on broadheads are ground, but it is worth it.
    "Never again shall one generation of Veterans abandon another".
    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Deep in Hllary country NY

Wink Keep it simple!

I use a file, then a stone with lite oil until shaving hair sharp. They must shave the hair off my arm or I won"t use them. Two blade heads are sharpened with a 6 in file, mounted on the arrow keeping with the contour of the edge, filed toward the point, and then placing the file on the underside sharping the same way. The same way for the other edge. They are finished on a oil stone mounted on the arrow, like your slicing a very thin cut, first away from you then toward you.Works well for me. Bill
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30